Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
I really can't understand why people cover up their iPads with all kinds of things. I love the design and feel of the aluminium back and would never like to cover it up as I think that kind of destroys the feel of it.

I've got a smart cover to prop it up with and im getting a nice wool sleeve for when ill put the iPad in a bag with other stuff for a longer time like when I travel.

Can anyone explain exactly why you want to cover every inch if the iPad with plastic, leather or whatever.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I do it because **** happens and I rather be safe than sorry.

Don't get me wrong I totally love the naked feel because its a beautiful design but after accidentally dropping it..I'm not gonna risk anything anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I really can't understand why people cover up their iPads with all kinds of things. I love the design and feel of the aluminium back and would never like to cover it up as I think that kind of destroys the feel of it.

I've got a smart cover to prop it up with and im getting a nice wool sleeve for when ill put the iPad in a bag with other stuff for a longer time like when I travel.

Can anyone explain exactly why you want to cover every inch if the iPad with plastic, leather or whatever.

travel with it, keep it more than a year and come back and tell us how it looks....c'mon, it obvious why we cover..aluminum scratches unless you live in a cave and take it nowhere...I could care less about the "feel and Look" of an ipad, it's a business tool for me...

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
I do it because **** happens and I rather be safe than sorry.

Don't get me wrong I totally love the naked feel because its a beautiful design but after accidentally dropping it..I'm not gonna risk anything anymore.

Yeah, I guess drop protection does make sense.

travel with it, keep it more than a year and come back and tell us how it looks....c'mon, it obvious why we cover..aluminum scratches unless you live in a cave and take it nowhere...I could care less about the "feel and Look" of an ipad, it's a business tool for me...

But if you don't care about the looks, why do you care about if it looks scratched? Or do you think scratched plastic/leather or whatever looks better than scratched aluminium?

Last edited by a moderator:

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
But if you don't care about the looks, why do you care about if it looks scratched? Or do you think scratched plastic/leather or whatever looks better than scratched aluminium?

But it is easier and cheaper to replace a $50 cover vs a $800 ipad if it gets scuffed.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
If you don't care about looks you don't have to replace anything if it gets scuffed.

I think you have a point there....However I think glen is more concerned about keeping the thing from cracking and getting damaged which can affect his ability to use it as a work tool rather than simply trying to protect it from surface scratches.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
I think you have a point there....However I think glen is more concerned about keeping the thing from cracking and getting damaged which can affect his ability to use it as a work tool rather than simply trying to protect it from surface scratches.

Yes and I can agree to the whole cracking thing, my question then is how much extra protection do the standard cases actually provide from drops and such.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
If you don't care about looks you don't have to replace anything if it gets scuffed.

That's assuming you'll never choose to sell it down the road. A large fraction of potential buyers WILL care how it looks.

I think the bigger question is "why doesn't everyone like exactly what I like, and think exactly how I think?" Everyone should know the reason to use a case is because without it the iPad mini (we do all have minis, right? why would anyone buy a full size iPad???) is too slippery to hold.

Regards,
Tom
p.s. ;)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I don't use a case for "drop protection" is you drop it, its gonna freaking break. Its mainly for scratches like when I'm outside, not so much when I'm in my house.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I don't use a case for "drop protection" is you drop it, its gonna freaking break. Its mainly for scratches like when I'm outside, not so much when I'm in my house.

I respectfully disagree. My iPad once dropped out of my hands, landing straight on a corner. Fortunately, my Hex Folio case has a sturdy contour and the iPad survived the drop gracefully.
The case took a little work with a nail file though :)
Since I too carry around my iPad constantly from home to work to clients into my convertible, it will probably drop again someday - no doubt. So there you have my reason to use a (bulky) case.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Pretty much because of resale value.

Sure you can still sell a scuffed up year old iPad, but you won't get as much for it as a pristine non-scuffed 1yr old iPad.

For people who like to be on the cutting edge, and get the newest iPad yearly (or bi-yearly if Apple keeps that up), it's nice to get as much as you can towards the new iPad by reselling the old.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I respectfully disagree. My iPad once dropped out of my hands, landing straight on a corner. Fortunately, my Hex Folio case has a sturdy contour and the iPad survived the drop gracefully.
The case took a little work with a nail file though :)
Since I too carry around my iPad constantly from home to work to clients into my convertible, it will probably drop again someday - no doubt. So there you have my reason to use a (bulky) case.

Absolutely just saying you can't rely on a case keeping your device from breaking if you drop it.

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
While I love a naked ipad... I also find that I wan't to sit at a certain angle... and the case takes care of that while offering some protection :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why is everone covering up their units?
Everyone is not. Some are, some are not.

I really can't understand why you assume that everyone else's preferences should fall in line with your own. Do what works for you but don't assume that your preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

Personal preference -- same reason why you don't want to.

But if you don't care about the looks
That's not what he meant. He doesn't agree that the iPad should be used naked as the "design and feel" that you prioritize aren't priorities for him in the same way that they are for you.

Yes and I can agree to the whole cracking thing, my question then is how much extra protection do the standard cases actually provide from drops and such.
Depends on the case. They're not all identical. How do you want us to quantify "how much extra protection"? No one has done any such tests.

Last edited:

amazingamy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Well unless youre a millionaire, obviously because its easier to replace a case than to replace your ipad mini after you break it/scratch it!

You like the design and feel of it naked, but are you still going to love it when its all scratched up and dented?

Non-Euclidean

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX

Drop it on a corner, and then wax poetically on the forums here about it.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
That's assuming you'll never choose to sell it down the road. A large fraction of potential buyers WILL care how it looks.

I think the bigger question is "why doesn't everyone like exactly what I like, and think exactly how I think?" Everyone should know the reason to use a case is because without it the iPad mini (we do all have minis, right? why would anyone buy a full size iPad???) is too slippery to hold.

Regards,
Tom
p.s. ;)

I was just interested in what peoples reasoning was, sometimes people do things without thinking about it. It's always interesting too see what people care about that you don't. Like the resale value.

Drop it on a corner, and then wax poetically on the forums here about it.

If I drop my iPad i'll just shell out the $150 my home insurance company wants to replace electronics and get a new one, and if they don't want to pay for some reason i'll justbuy one. It's not like you have to sell an arm to buy an iPad.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I was just interested in what peoples reasoning was, sometimes people do things without thinking about it. It's always interesting too see what people care about that you don't. Like the resale value.

If I drop my iPad i'll just shell out the $150 my home insurance company wants to replace electronics and get a new one, and if they don't want to pay for some reason i'll justbuy one. It's not like you have to sell an arm to buy an iPad.

Tell that to the kid in china who sold his kidneys for one ;)

Not everyone has the disposable income we do. Not even a moderate percentage I'd say.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
iPads are expensive. Upgrading is expensive. I will take my expensive toy and protect it's virgin state as long as possible. Imagine when you buy that new car and how crazy you get when you get that first scratch. That's how I feel, so I protect my toys.

jrtdot

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
I treat it like wearing clothing. Sure roam around naked inside just be careful when you go out, factors beyond your control can prevent nudity. Like people. And your own stupidity. Actually my stupidity.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
My point is the OP likes to marvel at the "look and feel" of his pad. Cool. I could really care less, I expect nice looking stuff from Apple, after buying every pad they've made. It a business tool for me, like a Mont Blanc Pen. I rarely look at the pen's design, but that does not mean I don't want it protected, so it goes in a sleeve in my briefcase when not being used. Same with the pad. The back scratches if naked, on a road trip and business use. It breaks badly on a drop, when naked. It does not prop itself up on an airplane tray for movies when naked. It does not allow a typing angle when naked. Etc.. etc... I sell every pad for the new one, so I like it virgin when I sell it. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.