Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:09 AM   #1
iphonehype
macrumors regular

iPhone de-value?

So....

I have bought my iPhone 4/4s/5 SIM from Apple...costing 600

My friends and everyone are now getting iPhones, and getting them free on contracts. I remember network providers never discounted the iPhone price now if your on a 24 month contract @ 36 per month you can have the phone for free instead of the 129.....

Now is it me or the value or the luxury of having this amazing iPhone is no longer there?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonehype View Post
So....

I have bought my iPhone 4/4s/5 SIM from Apple...costing 600

My friends and everyone are now getting iPhones, and getting them free on contracts. I remember network providers never discounted the iPhone price now if your on a 24 month contract @ 36 per month you can have the phone for free instead of the 129.....

Now is it me or the value or the luxury of having this amazing iPhone is no longer there?
they could have just got a loan to cover the 600/129........ oh wait.... they have
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

also.. 36 x 24 = 864

you don't say which phone they are getting...
sim free cheapest from apple are
iP4 319
iP4s 449
iP5 529

so that leaves the network getting

545 or 22/month
415 or 17/month
335 or 13/month

even the 13 a month left to the network on the iP5 will cover a cheap sim deal
http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/10pound-goodybag

personally i'm paying the 36 a month and paid some up front, but for me it worked out cheaper than buying sim free!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:43 AM   #4
maflynn

Quote:
Perhaps thinking of the iPhone as a luxury item is the issue - its just a phone, a great phone but a phone nonetheless.

I'd buy whatever phone that best fits my needs and the iPhone does that quite well. I personally don't look to choosing which phone based on status symbol.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

So what, you think they should still sell original tech for the same price as new tech? Pretty much EVERY consumer product drops in price over time, gaming consoles, computers, TVs...I could continue but I think you get the point. I'm also not sure about assigning value because something is more expensive, Monster cables alone should tell you that's a terrible idea.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Perhaps thinking of the iPhone as a luxury item is the issue - its just a phone, a great phone but a phone nonetheless.

I'd buy whatever phone that best fits my needs and the iPhone does that quite well. I personally don't look to choosing which phone based on status symbol.
Agreed. Buy what fits your needs and budget and don't worry about what other people do.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

Quote:
do they have nice cars?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Apple pretty much moved past the "luxury" benefit of owning an iPhone years ago. Now, the value of an iPhone increases due to the network effect. That is, the more people are using iOS devices, the greater benefit people get from it.

Now, the more people use iPhones, the larger the ecosystem. Your friends having iPhones means you can use iMessage and FaceTime with them. More users makes it more attractive (and profitable) for developers to make quality apps. There are more choices in accessories, and they can be bought in more places. Other companies make products that interact with iOS devices because it's profitable to them.

If the iPhone remained an extremely expensive luxury item that few people could obtain, all of these things would be more limited, or perhaps nonexistent. The inherent value wouldn't be in the ecosystem, but in the fact that I and a handful of other people have something to hold in our hands and brag about. Kinda like the I am Rich App, which cost $999.99 and did nothing except appear on your iPhone, and allowed you to brag that you spent $999.99 on basically nothing, simply because you could.

To me, having the network effect-type of value is a lot better than having something few other people have. If iPhones were still luxury items, all I'd really be able to do with it is be smug about having something with features I can't really use, because few other people have them.

Is it worth 600 (currently US$909.02)? Well, that's up to you really. I'm not sure I'd pay 600. $600, sure, that's how much I paid for my iPhone 5, and I think it's worth every penny.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
My friends and everyone are now getting iPhones, and getting them free on contracts.

So your friends have contracts that are restrictive as far as what monthly plan they can get and you are a free man, do anything you want. That's the price you pay for an unsubsidized phone. U can even re-sell it outright and they can't.

You made the proper research before purchase, that an unsubsidized phone suit you better right?

Last edited by Mrbobb; Feb 26, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone