Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Since i'm a soldier I have the choice of getting the 16gig iPad 2 or a iPad mini. most soldiers choose the iPad mini because we travel but space isn't a issue for me. What's the difference in user experience between the two for people that own or used both?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It really depends on how you plan on using it day to day, and if you have access to a computer, smart phone, etc.

I have both an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini (and MBA and iPhone 5)
I use the iPad 3 and iPad Mini for different things

You have to decide what makes sense for you
I use my iPad 3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard and it works great for things like Evernote and such
I use my iPad Mini for reading, email, etc.

I would hate to give up either of mine actually

In your case, an iPad Mini would prolly be awesome and just what you need
But only you know how you plan to use it

Edit: And congratulations on the win and thank you for your service!

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
It really depends on how you plan on using it day to day, and if you have access to a computer, smart phone, etc.

I have both an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini (and MBA and iPhone 5)
I use the iPad 3 and iPad Mini for different things

You have to decide what makes sense for you
I use my iPad 3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard and it works great for things like Evernote and such
I use my iPad Mini for reading, email, etc.

I would hate to give up either of mine actually

In your case, an iPad Mini would prolly be awesome and just what you need
But only you know how you plan to use it

Edit: And congratulations on the win and thank you for your service!

You're welcome and thanks for the input. It will definitely help me with my choice.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Being a soldier, I'll assume you find the claims of the larger iPads being too heavy laughable. :D

The screen on the Mini will be a little sharper than on the ipad 2, but the downside is that touch targets will be smaller. If you area big guy, with large hands, you may prefer using the iPad 2.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Being a soldier, I'll assume you find the claims of the larger iPads being too heavy laughable. :D

The screen on the Mini will be a little sharper than on the ipad 2, but the downside is that touch targets will be smaller. If you area big guy, with large hands, you may prefer using the iPad 2.

Yeah I find that funny as well because we carry a lot of heavy things and I tell you a iPad will in no way hinder me.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I moved from the iPad 3 to an iPad mini.

The iPad 3 was excellent, but simply put the iPad mini is easier to use.

It's smaller, so it fits perfectly in my hand. And then with the other hand I'm free to do other things :)p); with the mini landscape typing can be done handheld instead of having to sit it down on the surface. The apps are the same, and it has the same functionality as its bigger brother.

Last edited by a moderator:

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Personally, I prefer the ipad mini. More comfortable and easy to carry. I am one who like paly games and watch videos. The iPad mini let me enjoy the time everywhere at any time.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
It all depends on what you wanna do with it. The iPad mini is obviously more portable and can be used to read easier, etc.

But the 10inch screen is unbeatable if you're gonna be using it for media.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
One thing to bear in mind is that that the Mini has some upgrades over the 2 like being a little faster, having faster WiFi, better speakers, and better battery life. On the other hand, if you forget or loose your cable you will have an easier time finding someone with a 30-pin than a Lightning connector. There are also far more 30-pin accessories.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Since i'm a soldier I have the choice of getting the 16gig iPad 2 or a iPad mini. most soldiers choose the iPad mini because we travel but space isn't a issue for me. What's the difference in user experience between the two for people that own or used both?

I own both the iPad mini and iPad 3. I use the, both for different things, however, I find the mini much nicer to use and handle.

Compared to the iPad 2, the mini has a sharper screen, faster wifi, stereo speakers, 5mp back camera, HD front camera, Siri etc etc.

I'd choose the mini :D

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The way I see it, your only real consideration should be physical screen size. Speed/power are identical; the mini does have the leg up with Lightning and better cameras.

If I had to choose between the 2 and the mini, I'd get the mini.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Yep. Only screen size is the issue here. If you have a chance, try out an ipad v a mini. That will give you the answer.

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Going overseas the mini is what I would take. Skype/facetime with family is much easier. Not that weights an issue but the iPad mini is just a handy device. Think of it like the carbine version of the regular iPad. Both do the same thing but the mini is easier to maneuver.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The only thing that the iPad 2 has on the Mini is the larger screen size. The iPad mini is an all new design that has better speakers, new lightning connector, higher ppi, smaller A5 chip (unless the iPad 2 you win has the newer smaller A5 chip), feels better (thanks to the new design), better front and rear camera, and it's easier to type in portriat with two hands (without split keyboard).

P.S. thanks for your service.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

This. I'm a soldier as well, and I travel all the time, so I find the Mini more convient for the size. On my deployment I had my iPad 2 it was nice as well. Either way it's a win, win. I'd probably go with the Mini since it's a little bit more updated.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
OP: The rear-camera on the iPad 2 is crappy. So just be forewarned that all the pictures you take with that will be grainy and pixelated. In fact, every other iPad that came AFTER the iPad 2 has a noticeably superior rear-facing camera. And even my (current generation) iPod Touch 5 has a far better rear-facing digital camera, which is using the same 5-megapixel camera as the iPhone 4 and the iPad Mini.

But once you are realistic about the poor camera quality... the iPad 2 overall isn't a bad device, because it's decent enough to be able to run almost all the apps that the latest iPads and iPhones can.

Updated: yes, going with the iPad Mini is probably the best choice. It may be smaller, but it sure is technically more advanced and more modern than the iPad 2.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
OP: The rear-camera on the iPad 2 is crappy. So just be forewarned that all the pictures you take with that will be grainy and pixelated. In fact, every other iPad that came AFTER the iPad 2 has a noticeably superior rear-facing camera. And even my (current generation) iPod Touch 5 has a far better rear-facing digital camera, which is using the same 5-megapixel camera as the iPhone 4 and the iPad Mini.

But once you are realistic about the poor camera quality... the iPad 2 overall isn't a bad device, because it's decent enough to be able to run almost all the apps that the latest iPads and iPhones can.

Updated: yes, going with the iPad Mini is probably the best choice. It may be smaller, but it sure is technically more advanced and more modern than the iPad 2.

I have a professional camera as well as a galaxy note II so I would never us the camera anyway.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I have nothing to add to any of this I just want to say thank you for your service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.