Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frado

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Hi,

I have an iPhone 5 and a sim card from T mobile USA. I have the 30$ unlimited web plan.
When I was tethering to my laptop I got a message from t mobile informing me that a tethering option can be purchased online..
How could they know? I installed MyWi from Cydia and used the free trial..
Is there any other way to give internet to my laptop ( via usb/bt AND wifi)?
I would like to tether:
-wifi gogo connection from iphone(cheaper) to my laptop via bt or usb
-my mobile data from T mobile to my laptop via bt/usb/wifi

Are they that smart? I thought it would be possible via Cydia somehow.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
As far as I'm aware they cannot see that your tethering but can guess at the increased amount of data your using.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I think they can see it if they dig deep enough, something about the type of packet data that gets sent (from other post i have read).

Bottom line there is no way to truely hide it, it will always be a risk.

Frado

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Come to think of it: I did tether to my iPad (also via wifi) and that worked without any problems. I only got the message when trying to tether to my laptop.

In above cases the inbuilt tether function from iOS was used...

So would it be fixed if I used a User Agent firefox add on and set my firefox to iPhone?
At least I would be able to surf through firefox on my laptop?

PDAnet could also be a solution if the above link is still accurate, although I did hear that it sometimes completely bricks iphones, requring a full restore

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It's debatable, but you really are ripping them off when you tether with an unlimited data plan and they're probably looking extra close at those plans.

Frado

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
So what would be my safest bet? I'm paying 30$ and I just need web, I don't think they would be losing any money if I surf a little bit on my laptop as well.
Since it worked without a problem on my ipad, maybe I can do the user agent trick. I don't need it 24/7, maybe 2 hours a day with just some surfing(wifi at hotel not free)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.