Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:37 AM   #26
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
I cringe every time I see a Samsung ad, can't they just advertise their own actual products and not bash others.
No, they have to copy Apple's advertising style. "Hi, I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC."
stuffradio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:38 AM   #27
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefan65 View Post
I don't disregard his views, but lets face it he has some resentment. Sorry you don't see that...who's short sighted?
And what makes you think he has some resentment? His blog entry certainly didn't read that way, in fact, he credits Apple in a couple areas.

Shortsighted - it came across in your post, thats all. If it wasn't the case, accept my apologies.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #28
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

I liked that Samsung ad. It was funny and kept me interested.

The latest Apple ads, those make me cringe. Apple is definitely off the rails with its latest Sesame Street shout ad campaign.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #29
bandalay
macrumors member

Apple needs to compete…

…now that it (finally) has competition.

This seems to happen to them a lot. They're good at inventing new markets, but have a hard time defending them.

Samsung (and others?) have finally produced something not cringe worthy, and is doing what comes naturally to succeed. Boatloads of advertising, SPIFs and low low margins in order to force itself into markets it was ceding to Apple until recently. Hard to know if Samsung can sustain these costs, but in the short term they've done some serious damage.

Google's doing something else - it's Glasses, Chromebook and omnibus software offerings may have dubious use, but they seem forward looking, when many others (looking at you Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia) are out there "me tooing" Apple as fast as they can. They're taking mindshare in terms of who is in control of "the future" that used to by Apple's domain.
bandalay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #30
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
Yeah, it was all clever and funny when it was the 'I'm a Mac' campaign.....

But people will blindly defend Apple.It's like the simple relationship a small child has with their mother. 'Somebody said something bad about mommy. They are mean.'
Did the "I'm a Mac" campaign represent the user base or the machines themselves? Did "PC" represent Windows, Microsoft, Bill Gates, or the users? Did "Mac" represent OS X, Apple, Steve Jobs, or the users?

Apple never came out and specifically said "this is who Mac and PC represent." Samsung on the other hand has ads which specifically portray iPhone users lining up in front of an Apple store as clueless hipster idiots.

Apple did it in a way that never seemed like they were mocking PC users. Samsung on the other hand got an ad agency that came up with an ad that a high school student could create.
3N16MA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #31
incoherent1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpich1 View Post
In summary: Apple needs to do "more." Either they need to do some great UI updates, add some cool feature / apps, or they need to advertise it more. Because so long as Google is doing more in all 3... they will eventually leave Apple in the dust.
Agreed -- Apple found a winning combination in iOS several years ago, and now they're reluctant to tinker with it, which is making it stale. They can (and need to be) a little more risky in future UI updates and features, and I totally agree with you there.

Segall's point seems almost counter to that, though: that Apple needs to focus even less on the products in their ads and more on celebrities and jokes, and I just don't see it. I know a lot of happy people with Samsung phones, but most of them agree the ads are stupid (not that I think Apple's latest are the best either).
incoherent1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3N16MA View Post
I will take the product based ads over poor attempts at comedy using celebrities and mocking the user base in which you want to capture.
Absolutely.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:41 AM   #33
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
I felt attacked as a pc user in the mac vs pc ads. Please we've been over this...

I'm a soo uncool and soo unhip pc man.
I think it was appropriate for the time. Mac users were bashed constantly by PC users, so to see it dished back was welcomed at the time.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:41 AM   #34
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3N16MA View Post
Did the "I'm a Mac" campaign represent the user base or the machines themselves? Did "PC" represent Windows, Microsoft, Bill Gates, or the users? Did "Mac" represent OS X, Apple, Steve Jobs, or the users?

Apple never came out and specifically said "this is who Mac and PC represent." Samsung on the other hand has ads which specifically portray iPhone users lining up in front of an Apple store as clueless hipster idiots.

Apple did it in a way that never seemed like they were mocking PC users. Samsung on the other hand got an ad agency that came up with an ad that a high school student could create.
Apple portrayed the PC user guy as an unhip, uncool drone. I felt mocked as a pc user myself. You don't like the taste of your own medicine IMO.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:42 AM   #35
Pock
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
Yeah, it was all clever and funny when it was the 'I'm a Mac' campaign.....

But people will blindly defend Apple.It's like the simple relationship a small child has with their mother. 'Somebody said something bad about mommy. They are mean.'
Ah but there's a difference.

The 'I'm a Mac' campaign mocked Windows PCs, the current Samsung campaign mocks Apple users.
Pock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:42 AM   #36
pietrociao
macrumors member

This is the real TIM BURTON campaign

Here's the real TIM BURTON campaign

http://youtu.be/bFzLRP8e4vE
pietrociao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #37
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefan65 View Post
I don't disregard his views, but lets face it he has some resentment. Sorry you don't see that...who's short sighted?
Like I asked, why do you think he has some resentment, give a quote or (short) explanation of why you think he feels this way?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #38
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Were the Get a Mac ads targeting (read: attacking) the Windows user base?
Yes.
stuffradio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #39
mtneer
macrumors 65816

I don't agree with the idea that large corporations behave in line with Victorian virtues of chivalry and gallantry. It is a cut throat world out there - corporations will do whatever it takes to win. A "gentle company"; if ever there was one - will not last long in the wilds of the marketplace.

BTW, who remembers the "I am a Mac" campaign? If one can dish it out, one should be able to take it - AND counter attack.
mtneer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM   #40
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple portrayed the PC user guy as an unhip, uncool drone. I felt mocked as a pc user myself. You don't like the taste of your own medicine IMO.
Was he a PC user? Seemed to me he was representing an actual PC and not the user. Maybe should re watch some of the ads.
3N16MA is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM   #41
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pock View Post

The 'I'm a Mac' campaign mocked Windows PCs, the current Samsung campaign mocks Apple users.
Ask a PC user if they agree with that.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM   #42
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

I would argue that more importantly, they need to step up their R&D and QA department. Over four months since an OS update? A plethora of blatant, stupid bugs in their rMBP line that have persisted since last June? Forget about attracting new customers... Apple is already alienating its current customers.
noiseordinance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:47 AM   #43
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

No, it also mocked the users.
stuffradio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:47 AM   #44
Saikkou
macrumors newbie

I wouldn't really pay the ads any mind if there weren't so many of them, but this is true for both sides. Two things that annoy me about the Samsung ads are the blatant claims that the iPhone is inferior, and that they are soo damn long. I just seriously hope Apple doesn't fall victim and make an iPad mini sized phone to complete.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:48 AM   #45
benspratling
macrumors 6502

I must have missed something. I was so taken by the unicorn zombie apocalypse that I completely missed where there were Samsung products. Are they advertising Tim Burton consulting services? I would totally hire him to consult on my movie... if I wanted a main character with hollow eyes.
benspratling is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:48 AM   #46
tuncer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I don't agree with the idea that large corporations behave in line with Victorian virtues of chivalry and gallantry. It is a cut throat world out there - corporations will do whatever it takes to win. A "gentle company"; if ever there was one - will not last long in the wilds of the marketplace.

BTW, who remembers the "I am a Mac" campaign? If one can dish it out, one should be able to take it - AND counter attack.
Counter attack with what? Our screen is SMALLER! Woohoo! Take that.....

Let's face it, Apple is in big, big trouble. I think the March quarter is going to be an absolute disaster and one of the reasons I've sold all my shares in Apple. I've owned it for many years but Apple in 2013 will continue flounder. The iPhone 5S will be a dud and the S4, I believe, will absolutely destroy it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:49 AM   #47
Pock
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ask a PC user if they agree with that.
At the time I was a PC user.
Pock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:50 AM   #48
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
No, it also mocked the users.
Can you provide proof that they it did mock the users? I'm not trying to start a debate but really would like to see a specific ad that mocked the user and not a PC. If you can find one I will give you all the credit for being correct.
3N16MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:50 AM   #49
mtneer
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Here, I have to disagree. The slightly overweight guy in Mr. Bean clothes standing next to the hipster was squarely aimed at mocking PC user stereotype's.
mtneer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:50 AM   #50
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
I would argue that more importantly, they need to step up their R&D and QA department. Over four months since an OS update? A plethora of blatant, stupid bugs in their rMBP line that have persisted since last June? Forget about attracting new customers... Apple is already alienating its current customers.
I would say right now they are focused on 10.9. The next update is in beta and guessing it will be released soon....
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion