Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I just jailbroken my devices using evasion 1.5 few hours ago, and I realized that I did a 'restore from backup' after updated from 5.1.1 before i jailbroken my device again. Now my apps and iBook PDF is all gone, so i decide to restore it again.

The problem comes :
1. Error 21 occurred, I can't even restore my device.
2. Most of the blog asking me to set my ipad 2 into DFU mode, but my ipad just won't go into DFU mode, i tried tinyumbrealla recovery mode as well, it just wont go in. It will straight away boot up my device after the dock connector appeared.

Help me someone !! :(:(:(

Last edited:

LaZyFLiP

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Try the following. Make sure your iPad is already plugged into your computer and powered off and iTunes is running.

1. Press and hold power/sleep button.
2. Count to 5.
3. Continue holding power/sleep button, press and hold home button.
4. Apple boot logo should still be displayed.
5. Wait for Apple boot logo to go off or count to 15, whichever comes first.
6. Release power/sleep button but continue holding home button.
7. iTunes should detect your iPad is in recovery mode.
8. Release home button.

Your screen will remain black or off in DFU mode, if done properly.

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Try the following. Make sure your iPad is already plugged into your computer and powered off and iTunes is running.

2. Count to 5.
8. Release home button.

Should I connect it to iTunes? Because when I connect to iTunes, it won't go into DFU, the dock connector may appear but only for 1 sec then it will boot up my device. :(

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Should I connect it to iTunes? Because when I connect to iTunes, if won't go into DFU, the dock connector may appear but only for 1 sec then it will boot up my device. :(

You have to connect it to iTunes and have it plugged into your computer for it to work.

If the device boots up you aren't DFUing properly.

LaZyFLiP

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Should I connect it to iTunes? Because when I connect to iTunes, if won't go into DFU, the dock connector may appear but only for 1 sec then it will boot up my device. :(

Are you using a Mac or PC? I ask because if you're on a Mac, the only way I know to tell you're in DFU mode is iTunes alerts you so you'll need iTunes running. I'm not a Mac user so I'm not too familiar.

If you're on a PC though you'll get the 'device connected tone' from Windows and Windows will have to install the drivers for accordingly. You can then open iTunes and it should indicate the device connects is in recovery mode.

If your seeing the plug into iTunes message, you're releasing one of the buttons too early.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

2. Count to 5.
8. Release home button.

I find that there is no need for steps 1 and 2. Just start with holding down both power and home, ignore anything that might happen on the screen, count to 15, then let go of sleep while keeping your finger down on home.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to do it on a Windows machine. On Windows, when you connect the iPad, you should hear a USB connect chime. Then, when you hold power+home, once you hold it long enough, you hear a USB disconnect chime. Let go of the power button, and hold the home button until you hear a USB connect chime again. Now your iPad is in DFU and you can let go of all buttons.

Whether or not iTunes is open shouldn't affect getting into DFU mode, so if iTunes seem to be interfering, I'd wait unitl after your iPad is in DFU before opening iTunes.

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
You have to connect it to iTunes and have it plugged into your computer for it to work.

If the device boots up you aren't DFUing properly.

I tried to follow the steps from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQpqZmOU_k. I released my home button when the iTunes message pop up from the iTunes and dock connector appeared on my iPad, after 1 sec it gone still and reboot my device to my lock screen.

Are you using a Mac or PC? I ask because if you're on a Mac, the only way I know to tell you're in DFU mode is iTunes alerts you so you'll need iTunes running. I'm not a Mac user so I'm not too familiar.

If you're on a PC though you'll get the 'device connected tone' from Windows and Windows will have to install the drivers for accordingly. You can then open iTunes and it should indicate the device connects is in recovery mode.

If your seeing the plug into iTunes message, you're releasing one of the buttons too early.

I'm a windows 7 ultimate user, yup I did hear the tone and currently my iPad is jailbroken using Evasion. Plug into iTunes message ? iTunes did notify my about my iPad is in recovery mode but my iPad may skip the step and reboot itself to the lock screen.

I find that there is no need for steps 1 and 2. Just start with holding down both power and home, ignore anything that might happen on the screen, count to 15, then let go of sleep while keeping your finger down on home.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to do it on a Windows machine. On Windows, when you connect the iPad, you should hear a USB connect chime. Then, when you hold power+home, once you hold it long enough, you hear a USB disconnect chime. Let go of the power button, and hold the home button until you hear a USB connect chime again. Now your iPad is in DFU and you can let go of all buttons.

Whether or not iTunes is open shouldn't affect getting into DFU mode, so if iTunes seem to be interfering, I'd wait unitl after your iPad is in DFU before opening iTunes.

I think i did hear all the chime, maybe i should try put it into DFU first before connect to iTunes :(

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I tried to follow the steps from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQpqZmOU_k. I released my home button when the iTunes message pop up from the iTunes and dock connector appeared on my iPad, after 1 sec it gone still and reboot my device to my lock screen.

I'm a windows 7 ultimate user, yup I did hear the tone and currently my iPad is jailbroken using Evasion. Plug into iTunes message ? iTunes did notify my about my iPad is in recovery mode but my iPad may skip the step and reboot itself to the lock screen.

I think i did hear all the chime, maybe i should try put it into DFU first before connect to iTunes :(

If the device is booting up again, you aren't putting it into DFU mode properly. It's a common mistake made, youtube a video and watch closely.

Open iTunes, plug it in. Turn device off completely. Hold power button for 3 seconds, then while still holding the power button, hold the home button for 10 seconds. After those 10 seconds, release the power button and keep holding the home button until the device shows up in iTunes BUT the screen stays off/remains black.

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
If the device is booting up again, you aren't putting it into DFU mode properly. It's a common mistake made, youtube a video and watch closely.

Open iTunes, plug it in. Turn device off completely. Hold power button for 3 seconds, then while still holding the power button, hold the home button for 10 seconds. After those 10 seconds, release the power button and keep holding the home button until the device shows up in iTunes BUT the screen stays off/remains black.

Do you have to release the home button immediately after you saw this
Screen-Shot-2012-09-02-at-11.30.37-PM.png
?

p/s : this only appeared for 1 sec after it boot me into Apple Logo. iTunes notify me my ipad is in recovery mode and restore needed on the same time.

What is the exact problem that cause Error 21? >.<

Last edited:

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Again, I've never had to turn off an iDevice to get it into DFU mode. Pushing power button for 3 seconds then pressing home while keeping down power is a tricky maneuver, and in my experience, completely unnecessary. Just make sure the device is powered, which shoud happen automatically when you connect it to a computer. Then start from holding power and home down together.

And if you see the image of iTunes and cable, you let go too soon. Start again from the beginning.

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Again, I've never had to turn off an iDevice to get it into DFU mode. Pushing power button for 3 seconds then pressing home while keeping down power is a tricky maneuver, and in my experience, completely unnecessary. Just make sure the device is powered, which shoud happen automatically when you connect it to a computer. Then start from holding power and home down together.

And if you see the image of iTunes and cable, you let go too soon. Start again from the beginning.

I will try both of your way to see which one work, thanks guys !! ;)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Way to difficult procedure, it's so easy:

connect usb
Hold power and home until device turns off, keep holding both 3 more sec.
Now release power while keep holding home for another 10 sec
Device will be in dfu with a black screen and itunes reporting device found in recovery

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I will post a feedback after i tried both ways later when I get to touch my iPad 2 :D Hopefully it solve my Error 21

lazybump91

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Way to difficult procedure, it's so easy:

connect usb
Hold power and home until device turns off, keep holding both 3 more sec.
Now release power while keep holding home for another 10 sec
Device will be in dfu with a black screen and itunes reporting device found in recovery

TriJetHero method is the easiest way to get into DFU mode ! credit to this.

However, I'm having error 1600 now while restoring iPad 2 in DFU mode :mad::mad::mad: What the heck happening to my iPad :confused::confused:

Edited: OK guys, I've solved my error 1600 and now I am restoring my iPad already. Watch this video for more information if you're having the same problem as me :) Credit to Jacob Nijem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w55cThoVFQ0

Last edited:

sgately01

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015

sgately01

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
Thank You! After trying this for a half hour and Apple support wasting 30 minutes to confirm my serial number was under warranty and then sending me to the store, this answer actually worked. My advice, you have to keep trying until you get it perfectly.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california

THIS. With the exception of your post, the internet has completely failed me when it came to trying to restore my iPad. I located your post while speaking with Apple Support, who was also struggling to get this to work. They actually asked for the information from your post and have followed up with me and will be sending this along to the engineering team. Well written. THANK YOU!

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.