Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Handset manufacturer HTC is seeking to streamline the process for iPhone users to switch to the forthcoming HTC One by enabling it to extract data from iPhone backup files, enabling automatic transfer of photos, videos, calendar entries and text messages to the handset, reports CNET Asia.

htc-130219-2.jpg
Transfers will take place using a new version of HTC's Sync Manager software, which already allows music to be imported from iTunes. By adding in the ability to copy across key data, HTC removes one key barrier to switching platforms.

HTC is heavily promoting a widget-based approach called BlinkFeed, which pulls live data from user-selected social and media networks onto the handset's home screen.
At the centre of the new HTC One experience is HTC BlinkFeed. HTC BlinkFeed is a bold new experience that transforms the home screen into a single live stream of personally relevant information such as social updates, entertainment and lifestyle updates, news and photos [aggregating] the freshest content from the most relevant and interesting sources, giving it to people at a glance, all in one place, without the need to jump between multiple applications and web sites. To enable this new dynamic approach to the smartphone, HTC will provide both local and global content from more than 1,400 media sources with more than 10,000 articles per day.
With HTC bringing BlinkFeed to Android and Windows Phone banking on its "live tiles" for its home screens, competitors are increasingly looking to move beyond grids of static icons popularized for the smartphone market by iOS. It remains to be seen how Apple will continue its evolution of iOS, particularly as consumer perceptions of "staleness" compete with Apple's focus on simplicity and consistency.

Article Link: HTC One Targets iPhone Owners by Offering Data Migration from iPhone Backups

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I only care about my apps!
Unless they won't come up with an idea to transfer them to a new phone I won't change.
I don't need you for that, I can transfer the other stuff on my own!!!
The iPhone fits just perfectly in my use, probably don't even have a chance to stay iOS user forever... iMessage YAY^^

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I have no desire to switch, but if I did, this would be my biggest hang-up. Well done HTC.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
HTC One looks like it's the first Android with the hardware design and fit and finish to give the iPhone a run for the money.

So I wouldn't dismiss it so cavalierly.

I also disagree that "consumer perceptions of "staleness"" are somehow contrary to "Apple's focus on simplicity and consistency."

iOS has gotten a bit stale and it definitely needs to evolve a bit faster, while still keeping its focus on simplicity and consistency.

It also needs to include some controlled customization out of the box -- for instance, many switchers simply hate the primitive keyboard in iOS, but there are no alternatives allowed. Better multitasking should also be implemented -- it is actually a significant hindrance in some cases, compared with Android.

Apple really does need to pump up its efforts, if it wants to stay on top.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Not sure why everyone's so fussed about the "live tile" or "blink feed" type of display. It's like watching a stock exchange screen or the advertisement screen at Piccadilly Circus. I'm not that addicted to Facebook that I want to see my news feed every time I touch my phone, and I sure don't want to be.

I like having icons and pressing icons and expecting them to launch a single, well defined app, instead of drawing data from multiple obscure apps, which is just confusing.

I agree that simplicity is an absolute must for a smartphone, and it should only do what I ask it to do, nothing else. It's distracting enough as it is.

I hope Apple doesn't change too much of this with iOS 7. I wish they made multi-tasking better but I sure don't want the home screen to change.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Not sure why everyone's so fussed about the "live tile" or "blink feed" type of display. It's like watching a stock exchange screen or the advertisement screen at Piccadilly Circus. I'm not that addicted to Facebook that I want to see my news feed every time I touch my phone, and I sure don't want to be.

I like having icons and pressing icons and expecting them to launch a single, well defined app, instead of drawing data from multiple obscure apps, which is just confusing.

I agree that simplicity is an absolute must for a smartphone, and it should only do what I ask it to do, nothing else. It's distracting enough as it is.

I hope Apple doesn't change too much of this with iOS 7. I wish they made multi-tasking better but I sure don't want the home screen to change.

To be fair...even if Apple introduced all the bells and whistles that others have tried with home screens...its not like they would abandon all home screen icons and prevent you from having a simplistic home screen as you are using today.

Personally I'm like you and of course I hope Apple adds all the features I want, but that doesn't mean other features are going to necessarily be a bad thing for my experience.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008

I agree, I don't get the all the "OMG iOS is stale, no new features" complaining. It's like claiming there's no innovation in spoons lately. I like it how it is thank you very much, I can get whatever reminders/notifications on the lock screen that I want. I don't want my phone keeping up to date on the weather, stocks, Facebook, etc... burning data and battery when I don't care about them. same goes for the screen size. I do think they should offer the phone parts as an option on the ipad mini for those who want it though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have an iPhone 5, but I'm still buying the HTC One. (Already pre-ordered) and it's great that HTC have stepped up the ante with some decent sync software for a change. It's been one of the main headaches for mac users with android devices (syncing) and so it's good to see some decent support.

Samsung & Sony etc, need to follow suit....

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I agree, I don't get the all the "OMG iOS is stale, no new features" complaining. It's like claiming there's no innovation in spoons lately. I like it how it is thank you very much, I can get whatever reminders/notifications on the lock screen that I want. I don't want my phone keeping up to date on the weather, stocks, Facebook, etc... burning data and battery when I don't care about them. same goes for the screen size. I do think they should offer the phone parts as an option on the ipad mini for those who want it though.

Ditto.
I like your "spoon" analogy.
Prior to touch screens, the click wheel on the iPod was a near perfect implementation of simplistic controls. Why change something that works great? I can't remember where, but I recall a post in these forums once about how limited choice sometimes results in greater product satisfaction - by keeping people from feeling overwhelmed by options. It was more directed toward prodcut lines rather than software, but similarities apply.
I'm all for options, by the way, but if the basic interface is intuitive and works well, I wouldn't rush to overhaul it.

That said, if Apple truly came up with something better (and not just change for change's sake), I'd be thrilled.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007

Oh, don't get me wrong. The main reason I would probably not buy the HTC One is Sense (I do need an Android to replace my Google Nexus, and it would be nice to have decent hardware). But I do dislike the overlays every manufacturer sticks on top of Android OS and this tile stream seems like it would get old fast. On the other hand, apparently you can simply disable it.

I like Apple's simplicity, but I also find that I like the option of having a large clock and weather on my home screen, the ability to use whatever keyboard I like (I find SwiftKey best for me, but others swear by Swipe). I like having the ability to use different launchers also: GoLauncher, for instance can be made very simple and iOS-like.

Apple has been slow to respond to the rapid advances made by Android.

Also, IMO, Apple made a huge mistake by not pushing wider licensing (or even opening up) of AirPlay -- now Google is going to pounce with their open two-way AirPlay alternative they are pushing together with Netflix, and if enough third parties integrate it, as it is widely expected, Apple will be left with a small, proprietary niche market which will rapidly shrink.

AirPlay has been a very significant advantage for Apple, but in the long term, as a viable open alternative emerges, AirPlay's proprietary nature may end up killing the golden goose -- if your new TV, receiver, radio, car stereo, etc., all work with Google's open Air-Play alternative, at some point Google's mobile OS will start making more sense to many current iOS users.

Last edited:

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
These phrases are now officially the most overused and we are beginning to sound like drones

IOS is becoming stale
Apple need to innovate
I'm happy with my siphilis . I think it gives me an edge
Live widgets
Apple is doomed
Snappier necks

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA

Well said!

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Personally, I like the iPhone and what it offers, and I don't think that I would ever switch to an Android phone in the near future. If I did, I'd probably get an S3 or nexus.

One last thing, did anyone notice on the system requirements page of the HTC Sync manager software that it required a copy of Microsoft Office 2011?

trilaemasu

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
This is what companies need to do to get me to switch. Offer easy transfers of data. Offering a match of apps would seal the deal.

Ecosystems are becoming more important in locking a customer in and the first company that creates a crack in those barriers will see gains. Personally I have several apps that I'm not even sure have a counterpart on Android. Making this connection easier would greatly improve the chances of me switching.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
I agree. iOS works. Simple. It works smoothly. I don't agree about this perception of "staleness". The apps keep it fresh. Should there be more freedom to customize? Sure, but if it is going to sacrifice battery life and simplicity then no, bells and whistles aren't necessary.

I don't understand Android users ragging on iOS as, last I looked, Android was still using gridded icons as well. Mind you they also have the option of lists, but icons are the default look.

Don't try to fix what's not broken. Add to it if it makes sense. Blink, IMHO, is a mess. Too much clutterred info and a drain on the battery.

How about a smaller touch screen on the back ala epaper? This could be used by widgets and you get time, date, weather info, stock info, notifications, etc. You could slide from one screen to another to even a blank screen or one with just the Apple logo. Just a thought.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012

Your spoon analogy is flawed. There isn't any real innovation occurring in the "spoon industry" (or at least I don't think there is) because spoons serve extremely simple purposes. In the smartphone industry, innovation constantly occurs - UI Design becomes better, chips become faster, etc. No one would really complain about the iPhone user interface, if there wasn't something better or different occurring on Android.

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
i'm going to be giving my 4s to my wife soon and i'll not be going with 5, or 5s unless it has something to bring to the table. I can use any necessary apps on my ipad. Many of the popular ones I use are on both platforms anyway. I'll probably only have a couple that I may miss.

There are a few things that i don't care about stock iOS on the iPhone that makes me want to try something else for a while.

1. takes too many presses to simply turn bluetooth on/off. I use it in my car for music and don't like to leave it on all the time. (intelliscreen x for jailbreakers fixes this)
2. notifications are still too disruptive. (bite sms fixe this for jailbreakers)
3. multitasking, i find myself quitting apps way too often and double clicking home button gets annoying.
4. homescreen could be more useful at a glance.
5. the iphone5 screen did nothing for me. a bit wider is useful for reading emails/etc. i wish they would have made it slightly wider as well as longer with slimmer bezels to keep size down.
6. one more row of icons,ok battery life, and a bit more speed over my 4s is not enough to keep me interested in the iphone.

why htc?

-finally, an android device with decent build quality & 'retina' screen. the screen is insane at 469ppi
-better/stereo speakers when listening to music when i'm not near better equip.
-a bit more customization avail. to me. apple is too confining at times.
-was hoping for 4.5" at the most for a screen,I will have to deal with 4.7. don't want a phablet though, just a bit more real estate for emails/etc on screen.
-hopefully battery life will be decent with 2300mAh battery.
-finally, decent materials/camera so moving to it won't be a step back from old iphone it is replacing.

why not s3 or other?
-plastic phone (hated the 3gs)
-samsung has their sub pixels in their displays. say what you want, i don't like them when i have played with them.
-haven't seen others with decent build quality, or lacked decent camera. if it had decent camera, screen or something else sucked.

disclaimer: i love my macbook retina, iPad, been using apple products for a while. had iphone 3g,3gs,4,4s. It should be an interesting test. glad to see devices that should push apple a bit more.

One last comment: i wish i didn't have to worry about battery life with my iphone. with my ipad there is plenty of juice and i never worry about it lasting, too much obsession with thin on apples part. An iphone5 with 4s thickness made of aluminum with large battery would have been fantastic.

Last edited:

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I bet Apple will do something to prevent this. I remember Blackberry saying they could sync with iTunes, that was patched within a couple of weeks.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
i'm going to be giving my 4s to my wife soon and i'll not be going with 5, or 5s unless it has something to bring to the table. I can use any necessary apps on my ipad. Many of the popular ones I use are on both platforms anyway. I'll probably only have a couple that I may miss.

There are a few things that i don't care about stock iOS on the iPhone that makes me want to try something else for a while.

1. takes too many presses to simply turn bluetooth on/off. I use it in my car for music and don't like to leave it on all the time. (intelliscreen x for jailbreakers fixes this)
2. notifications are still too disruptive. (bite sms fixe this for jailbreakers)
3. multitasking, i find myself quitting apps way too often and double clicking home button gets annoying.
4. homescreen could be more useful at a glance.
5. the iphone5 screen did nothing for me. a bit wider is useful for reading emails/etc. i wish they would have made it slightly wider as well as longer with slimmer bezels to keep size down.
6. one more row of icons,ok battery life, and a bit more speed over my 4s is not enough to keep me interested in the iphone.

why htc?

-finally, an android device with decent build quality & 'retina' screen. the screen is insane at 469ppi
-better/stereo speakers when listening to music when i'm not near better equip.
-a bit more customization avail. to me. apple is too confining at times.
-was hoping for 4.5" at the most for a screen,I will have to deal with 4.7. don't want a phablet though, just a bit more real estate for emails/etc on screen.
-hopefully battery life will be decent with 2300mAh battery.
-finally, decent materials/camera so moving to it won't be a step back from old iphone it is replacing.

why not s3 or other?
-plastic phone (hated the 3gs)
-samsung has their sub pixels in their displays. say what you want, i don't like them when i have played with them.
-haven't seen others with decent build quality, or lacked decent camera. if it had decent camera, screen or something else sucked.

disclaimer: i love my macbook retina, iPad, been using apple products for a while. had iphone 3g,3gs,4,4s. It should be an interesting test. glad to see devices that should push apple a bit more.

One last comment: i wish i didn't have to worry about battery life with my iphone. with my ipad there is plenty of juice and i never worry about it lasting, too much obsession with thin on apples part. An iphone5 with 4s thickness made of aluminum with large battery would have been fantastic.

This is a well thought out and written opinion. And it gives me some things to ponder. However, I do not think a lot of people will be jailbreaking or rooting their phones. Sure those on this site might, but the majority of phone users dont know that much about techy stuff to be capable. This leads me to the thought that in the end for the majority of the non-techy folk, a well integrated eco-system will win out. We can debate here on this feature or that one between this phone and that. But, right now Apple is way ahead in terms of a full eco-system that fully integrates. HTC breaching the wall with their sync, and Google with the open Air-play may be more cause for concern than anything else.

In your case it will be interesting to see how you do with all your hardware being inside the wall and your phone outside. I was that way, and even though I consider myself a techy, finally gave up and moved everything inside the wall. I have more free time in the evenings now and that is all that matters to me.

Belgrano

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
I have an iPhone 5, but I'm still buying the HTC One. (Already pre-ordered) and it's great that HTC have stepped up the ante with some decent sync software for a change. It's been one of the main headaches for mac users with android devices (syncing) and so it's good to see some decent support.

Samsung & Sony etc, need to follow suit....

How have you pre-ordered the One? There is no option to do that on their website or any of the mobile carrier's sites that I've seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.