Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
braddick
macrumors 68040
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
No iBooks Support on iPad 4.3.5

I have a first generation iPad running 4.3.5
I enjoy the firmware as this older iPad runs smoothly and without issue.

For the most part I am not restricted in what apps I use other than I find it annoying iBooks now requires 5.0

Is there a workaround? I'd love to continue using 4.3.5 and also have iBooks installed.
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
It sounds like you already updated iBooks. If you didn't delete the old version you can keep using it.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
braddick
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
I updated iBooks months ago and long before purchasing this iPad. I wish Apple Apps (such as iPhoto; iMovies, and GarageBand) would be offered in different configurations so those on the older devices don't give up one the reasons they purchased an Apple product to begin with.

I totally get updating iBooks, for example, to 5.0, but why not offer it as a second iBooks app? They're free anyway, so I don't see the harm nor the added expense.
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I updated iBooks months ago and long before purchasing this iPad. I wish Apple Apps (such as iPhoto; iMovies, and GarageBand) would be offered in different configurations so those on the older devices don't give up one the reasons they purchased an Apple product to begin with.

I totally get updating iBooks, for example, to 5.0, but why not offer it as a second iBooks app? They're free anyway, so I don't see the harm nor the added expense.
First, iLife apps don't work great with the iPad 1 due to the lack of RAM. Plus it doesnt have a camera.

Yea, I just checked iTunes, iBooks requires 5.0 or higher which sucks.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
oldschool006
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Tip of the Iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I have a first generation iPad running 4.3.5
I enjoy the firmware as this older iPad runs smoothly and without issue.

For the most part I am not restricted in what apps I use other than I find it annoying iBooks now requires 5.0

Is there a workaround? I'd love to continue using 4.3.5 and also have iBooks installed.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.
oldschool006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:14 PM   #6
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool006 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.
Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

How do I tell if it's obsolete?
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 PM   #7
braddick
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool006 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.
My issue is iBooks is an Apple app!
They could/should be a tad more lax with their own products using their own apps.
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
oldschool006
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

How do I tell if it's obsolete?
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
My issue is iBooks is an Apple app!
They could/should be a tad more lax with their own products using their own apps.
The OP is certainly suffering from Apple's designed obsolescence. If you buy a product to do X, it being a significant operation of the product, and the company that manufactures and markets it then deactivates that aspect of the product, in this case through an Apple iOS update, and does not provide redress to consumers like the OP, they have made the product obsolete to that segment.

I too would like to buy an iPad to use with Apple's iBooks. The iPad is their flagship ereader. If they then undermine my purchase, and adding insult to injury within so short a time frame, I will be calling someone's Attorney General.

Last edited by oldschool006; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I became even more incensed
oldschool006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:51 PM   #9
dextr3k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

How do I tell if it's obsolete?
Pretty sure its not an iPad 1. They can only go up to 5.1.1
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

How do I tell if it's obsolete?
No such thing as iOS 6 On the OG iPad. It only supports up to 5.1.
__________________
GSM Unlocked Moto X 16gb (Android 4.4.4)
ATT Nokia Lumia 520 8gb (Windows Phone 8.1)
Slate iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb (iOS 8.0)
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
If iBooks is really that big an an issue you could always take the performance hit and upgrade to iOS 5.
__________________
GSM Unlocked Moto X 16gb (Android 4.4.4)
ATT Nokia Lumia 520 8gb (Windows Phone 8.1)
Slate iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb (iOS 8.0)
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:18 PM   #12
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.
iPad 1 doesn't support iOS 6



lawl
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belle View
Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool006 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.
there is a very simple solution to the OP's problem....update the ipad to iOS 5 and use ibooks
__________________

Last edited by swordfish5736; Feb 28, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
swordfish5736 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:56 AM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool006 View Post
...I too would like to buy an iPad to use with Apple's iBooks. The iPad is their flagship ereader. If they then undermine my purchase, and adding insult to injury within so short a time frame, I will be calling someone's Attorney General.
Well assuming you buy currently sold iPad, don't upgrade your iBooks to a version that requires a newer OS than you want to install on it. If you do then you, not Apple, would be undermining your own purchase.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad iBooks app is not inheriting collections from iBooks app patent10021 Mac Basics and Help 0 Dec 14, 2013 04:24 PM
iBooks on mac not syncing with ibooks on iPad infantjoe iOS 7 3 Oct 28, 2013 04:36 PM
iOS 7 May Include iPhone Support for iBooks Textbooks MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 22 Sep 9, 2013 06:35 PM
Support for Interactive E-Books Made with iBooks Author May Be Coming Soon to iPhone [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 20 Sep 6, 2013 10:51 AM
Apple Updates iBooks with Paid Japanese Books, Greater Asian Language Support MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 8 Mar 6, 2013 01:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC