Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
braddick
macrumors 68040

No iBooks Support on iPad 4.3.5

I have a first generation iPad running 4.3.5
I enjoy the firmware as this older iPad runs smoothly and without issue.

For the most part I am not restricted in what apps I use other than I find it annoying iBooks now requires 5.0

Is there a workaround? I'd love to continue using 4.3.5 and also have iBooks installed.
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

It sounds like you already updated iBooks. If you didn't delete the old version you can keep using it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
braddick
macrumors 68040

I updated iBooks months ago and long before purchasing this iPad. I wish Apple Apps (such as iPhoto; iMovies, and GarageBand) would be offered in different configurations so those on the older devices don't give up one the reasons they purchased an Apple product to begin with.

I totally get updating iBooks, for example, to 5.0, but why not offer it as a second iBooks app? They're free anyway, so I don't see the harm nor the added expense.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I updated iBooks months ago and long before purchasing this iPad. I wish Apple Apps (such as iPhoto; iMovies, and GarageBand) would be offered in different configurations so those on the older devices don't give up one the reasons they purchased an Apple product to begin with.

I totally get updating iBooks, for example, to 5.0, but why not offer it as a second iBooks app? They're free anyway, so I don't see the harm nor the added expense.
First, iLife apps don't work great with the iPad 1 due to the lack of RAM. Plus it doesnt have a camera.

Yea, I just checked iTunes, iBooks requires 5.0 or higher which sucks.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
oldschool006
macrumors member

Tip of the Iceberg

Quote:
I have a first generation iPad running 4.3.5
I enjoy the firmware as this older iPad runs smoothly and without issue.

For the most part I am not restricted in what apps I use other than I find it annoying iBooks now requires 5.0

Is there a workaround? I'd love to continue using 4.3.5 and also have iBooks installed.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.
oldschool006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:14 PM   #6
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool006 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.
Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

How do I tell if it's obsolete?
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 PM   #7
braddick
macrumors 68040

Quote:

My issue is iBooks is an Apple app!
They could/should be a tad more lax with their own products using their own apps.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
oldschool006
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

Quote:
My issue is iBooks is an Apple app!
They could/should be a tad more lax with their own products using their own apps.
The OP is certainly suffering from Apple's designed obsolescence. If you buy a product to do X, it being a significant operation of the product, and the company that manufactures and markets it then deactivates that aspect of the product, in this case through an Apple iOS update, and does not provide redress to consumers like the OP, they have made the product obsolete to that segment.

I too would like to buy an iPad to use with Apple's iBooks. The iPad is their flagship ereader. If they then undermine my purchase, and adding insult to injury within so short a time frame, I will be calling someone's Attorney General.

Last edited by oldschool006; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I became even more incensed
oldschool006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:51 PM   #9
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Define obsolete.

Pretty sure its not an iPad 1. They can only go up to 5.1.1
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Define obsolete.

No such thing as iOS 6 On the OG iPad. It only supports up to 5.1.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

If iBooks is really that big an an issue you could always take the performance hit and upgrade to iOS 5.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:18 PM   #12
irDigital0l

Quote:
iPad 1 doesn't support iOS 6

lawl
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:

there is a very simple solution to the OP's problem....update the ipad to iOS 5 and use ibooks

Last edited by swordfish5736; Feb 28, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
swordfish5736 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:56 AM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
...I too would like to buy an iPad to use with Apple's iBooks. The iPad is their flagship ereader. If they then undermine my purchase, and adding insult to injury within so short a time frame, I will be calling someone's Attorney General.
Well assuming you buy currently sold iPad, don't upgrade your iBooks to a version that requires a newer OS than you want to install on it. If you do then you, not Apple, would be undermining your own purchase.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad