Is this possible (a workaround to text from my laptop)? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Is this possible (a workaround to text from my laptop)?

I have a 13" MBP and an iPhone 4S. I would like to be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop when I'm in the office, but am under the impression that it is not reasonably possible to do so.

However, I recently downloaded the Air Display app for my iPad, which allows me to use it as a secondary display (e.g. iCal, Contacts and Reminders are displayed on my iPad but controlled using my laptop).

Having done this, I am wondering if I could set up my iPhone and laptop in a similar way so that I can then send and receive text messages from my laptop. I'm thinking that, if I download Air Display for my laptop, I may be able to "move" the text app from my iPhone to my laptop (much like I "move" iCal, Contact and Reminders to my iPad) and then be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop. Is this possible? If so, is this how I should set it up?

Thanks.
Big Byte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:35 PM   #2
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Byte View Post
I have a 13" MBP and an iPhone 4S. I would like to be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop when I'm in the office, but am under the impression that it is not reasonably possible to do so.
Depends on what you mean by reasonable. I do this all the time with Google Voice.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Depends on what you mean by reasonable. I do this all the time with Google Voice.
I suppose that what I mean is using stock apps and not third party apps.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
wytwolf
macrumors regular

You can send imessages, but to my knowledge not text messages.
wytwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Having done this, I am wondering if I could set up my iPhone and laptop in a similar way so that I can then send and receive text messages from my laptop. I'm thinking that, if I download Air Display for my laptop, I may be able to "move" the text app from my iPhone to my laptop (much like I "move" iCal, Contact and Reminders to my iPad) and then be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop. Is this possible? If so, is this how I should set it up?

Thanks.
Air Display enables the use of an iOS device as a secondary display for a PC or Mac. You want to use your laptop to view the iPhone screen, and that is not what Air Display does.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
You can send imessages, but to my knowledge not text messages.
Hmm, that seems odd, seeing as all I would be doing is controlling my iPhone via my laptop. Any idea why I would be able to do one but not the other?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Titan View Post
Air Display enables the use of an iOS device as a secondary display for a PC or Mac. You want to use your laptop to view the iPhone screen, and that is not what Air Display does.
Yeah, reading up on the Air Display app, that seems to be the impression I get. But, I have Air Display on my iPad and I move application windows from my laptop to my iPad. Is it because I'm trying to do the opposite (i.e. move application windows from my iPhone to my laptop) that it cannot be done?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Ploki
macrumors 68000

of all the stupid integrations apple does...
Ploki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:40 PM   #8
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You can send texts by sending it to an email - most providers have an email to text gateway. ATT's is phonenumber@txt.att.net. They can reply to 36245 with your email address as the first part of the text message.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
wytwolf
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hmm, that seems odd, seeing as all I would be doing is controlling my iPhone via my laptop. Any idea why I would be able to do one but not the other?[COLOR="#808080"]
Not really. The Ipad and mac's have message apps. This links the messages across all the devices through your icloud ID. Therefore it's not a text message as it's a conversation using icloud id's and not phone numbers/IMEI #'s.
wytwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store