Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Just an idea...

I'm a bit paranoid with the "Full Lamination" process of Apple and I was thinking that perhaps applying a tape at the part where the lamination meets aluminum would help any future dust from entering the LCD.

At some point I guess dust will be able to fall int the iMac somehow...

What do you guys think?

It would also help blunt collisions if ever I move it around the table or elsewhere in the house.

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
London
Just an idea...

I'm a bit paranoid with the "Full Lamination" process of Apple and I was thinking that perhaps applying a tape at the part where the lamination meets aluminum would help any future dust from entering the LCD.

What do you guys think?

It would also help blunt collisions if ever I move it around the table or elsewhere in the house.

Are you serious:confused:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The glass and LCD panel are laminated, bonded, one piece. Any dust that can work its way between the glass and case will end up inside the machine, after it makes its way past the double sided tape, where present.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Just an idea...

What do you guys think?

Use a silicon sealant. Then you can be sure and it will act as a bumper!!! haha.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Personally I don't trust the lamination process either. That's why I'm waiting to take my iMac out of the box until we have dust-proof rooms standard in every home.

Also, you'll need to use your computer starkers cause the clothes will have dust fibers! Will be a biitch in winter.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Also, you'll need to use your computer starkers cause the clothes will have dust fibers! Will be a biitch in winter.

That's why some of us are so disappointed that the 2012 27" iMacs run so much cooler than the 2009-2011 27" models. It makes it much harder to stay warm in the winter, and with our need for dust-proof rooms and no clothing, how will we ever get to use our iMacs? :(

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Until apple release a rubber bumper for the mac similar to the iPhone bumper.
I cover my entire machine with cling film. And never ever go near it unless fully naked, apart from maybe wearing one of my partners thongs!
Was the same with my old pc.

Call it paranoia or whatever you want. But better safe than sorry.
And why break the habit of a lifetime!

RebornTheGame

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Qld, Australia
Until apple release a rubber bumper for the mac similar to the iPhone bumper.
I cover my entire machine with cling film. And never ever go near it unless fully naked, apart from maybe wearing one of my partners thongs!
Was the same with my old pc.

Call it paranoia or whatever you want. But better safe than sorry.
And why break the habit of a lifetime!

LMAO! I glanced once at this thread when it started and thought 'nothing to see here, move on', but I almost choked on my coffee when I came back and read the recent posts.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Are you serious:confused:

It is just a thought. :D

Based on the responses above it appears people trust Apple enough that no gap will allow dust to come in after the lamination process has been performed.

When I moved the iMac and other monitors I sometimes accidentally bump it and scuff marks appear.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
Nudity creates its own hazards and benefits

A word of caution to all the naked iMac users.

Not only is there a real risk of contaminating the dustproof seal of the laminated screen with discarded flakes of dead skin, but the close proximity of unclad humans creates the dangerous condition known technically as 'bonking'.

Try to avoid splashing your keyboard.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
A word of caution to all the naked iMac users.

Not only is there a real risk of contaminating the dustproof seal of the laminated screen with discarded flakes of dead skin, but the close proximity of unclad humans creates the dangerous condition known technically as 'bonking'.

Try to avoid splashing your keyboard.
Don't be so disgusting!

I'll have you know I cover myself in baby oil at least 3 times per day.

Now go and thrash your private bits with a bunch of nettles!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.