Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Turn UPS off overnight?

Just received my Cyber Power PFC sinewave UPS and must say its brilliant!

When my iMac is switched off overnight, should I also turn off my UPS, so if there is a blackout overnight the alarm won't sound and wake me up. Or is it best to leave it on?

Thanks
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.1.1
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
Just received my Cyber Power PFC sinewave UPS and must say its brilliant!

When my iMac is switched off overnight, should I also turn off my UPS, so if there is a blackout overnight the alarm won't sound and wake me up. Or is it best to leave it on?

Thanks
If you turn off everything connected to the UPS, it probably makes sense to turn off the UPS itself, too. If you're just worried about the alarm sound from the UPS, though you can turn the sound off by holding down the middle button below the LCD screen.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
virginblue4
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
If you turn off everything connected to the UPS, it probably makes sense to turn off the UPS itself, too. If you're just worried about the alarm sound from the UPS, though you can turn the sound off by holding down the middle button below the LCD screen.
Thanks for your reply. I thought you could only silence current alarms not future ones as well. Thanks for letting me know.

But as you said, everything connected to the UPS will be switched off so I guess I may as well turn the UPS off as well. Just wanted to check its safe to continuously turn the UPS on and off each morning/night?
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.1.1
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
AppleFan360
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Leave the UPS turned on at all times. It's probably not good for the battery since it needs to be fully charged. Also, when you shut down the iMac, it's not really completely off.
AppleFan360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:33 PM   #5
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
Leave the UPS turned on at all times. It's probably not good for the battery since it needs to be fully charged. Also, when you shut down the iMac, it's not really completely off.
This is true. It depends on how much the UPS will discharge the battery overnight. I'm guessing it's not very much. Personally, I'd just leave it all one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I thought you could only silence current alarms not future ones as well. Thanks for letting me know.
Yep, future ones as well.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
virginblue4
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
Leave the UPS turned on at all times. It's probably not good for the battery since it needs to be fully charged. Also, when you shut down the iMac, it's not really completely off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
This is true. It depends on how much the UPS will discharge the battery overnight. I'm guessing it's not very much. Personally, I'd just leave it all one.

----------



Yep, future ones as well.
That's great, I'm glad it mutes future alarms as well. I am just going to leave it on 24/7.

One quick question though, surely it won't discharge the battery? It says on the UPS that the battery will charge whether the UPS is turned on or not. So as long as its plugged in at the wall, it will charge whether the actual UPS is on or off.

I'll just keep it on and put the mute switch on. I'll have my iMac to switch off anyway by itself, so I don't need the alarm.

Thank you again!
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.1.1
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:16 PM   #7
drambuie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
The UPS battery will charge as long as it's plugged in, and will trickle charge if fully charged. Switching off the UPS only switches off the load, power inverter, and voltage regulation circuits. The battery charging circuit is still active. UPS batteries are designed to be maintained at full charge, which will give them maximum operational life. Repeated deep discharges will reduce the life of these batteries.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Skyjamma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
Just received my Cyber Power PFC sinewave UPS and must say its brilliant!
virginblue4, out of curiousity, what is the model number of your PFC Sinewave UPS? Thanks.
Skyjamma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:48 PM   #9
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
That's great, I'm glad it mutes future alarms as well. I am just going to leave it on 24/7.

One quick question though, surely it won't discharge the battery? It says on the UPS that the battery will charge whether the UPS is turned on or not. So as long as its plugged in at the wall, it will charge whether the actual UPS is on or off.

I'll just keep it on and put the mute switch on. I'll have my iMac to switch off anyway by itself, so I don't need the alarm.

Thank you again!
Yes, I guess there was some confusion. I thought you meant ... unplugging the UPS or something like that. If you just hold the power button down on the front of the unit it will switch off power to the computers etc, but not to the UPS battery, which of course is still charging from the wall.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:11 PM   #10
virginblue4
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjamma View Post
virginblue4, out of curiousity, what is the model number of your PFC Sinewave UPS? Thanks.
CyberPower PFC 1350 VA, however they the box states it is a 1500VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Yes, I guess there was some confusion. I thought you meant ... unplugging the UPS or something like that. If you just hold the power button down on the front of the unit it will switch off power to the computers etc, but not to the UPS battery, which of course is still charging from the wall.
Sorry for the confusion
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.1.1
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:29 PM   #11
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
CyberPower PFC 1350 VA, however they the box states it is a 1500VA.



Sorry for the confusion
Hehe no worries. By the way why did you get such a huge UPS for an iMac?
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:54 PM   #12
virginblue4
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Hehe no worries. By the way why did you get such a huge UPS for an iMac?
Well the smallest CyberPower one that is available in the UK is 850VA and that was out of stock and has been for a while and 1350VA was the only other option so I had to order that.

However, they actually sent me the 1500VA, so I can't complain
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.1.1
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
Well the smallest CyberPower one that is available in the UK is 850VA and that was out of stock and has been for a while and 1350VA was the only other option so I had to order that.

However, they actually sent me the 1500VA, so I can't complain
Hah not bad.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Macsonic
macrumors 65816
 
Macsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
I leave my UPS turned on 24/7 except when I will not be using the computer for long periods of time I shut down the UPS.
Macsonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Skyjamma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
CyberPower PFC 1350 VA, however they the box states it is a 1500VA.
Free upgrade? Niccceee. I ended up getting the 850 VA from Amazon.
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 3TB Fusion Drive, 32GB RAM, GTX 680MX 2GB
Skyjamma is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UPS in transit: Hold at UPS facility? Eldiablojoe iPhone 11 Sep 22, 2014 10:12 AM
27" iMac won't turn on after power failure overnight skylinerrr iMac 17 Apr 26, 2014 03:56 PM
is it o.k. to turn off my UPS at night? malch Mac Pro 17 Oct 18, 2012 03:14 PM
Hard drive got wipe & i ant got back ups or boot ups cyclone696 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Aug 11, 2012 11:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC