Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Is Bob Woodward over the hill?

Sadly, the man who revived investigative journalism, who has had this said about him (cut/paste from Wikipedia):

Quote:
David Gergen, who had worked in the White House during the Richard Nixon and three subsequent administrations said in his 2000 memoir, Eyewitness to Power, of Woodward's reporting, "I don't accept everything he writes as gospel—he can get details wrong—but generally, his accounts in both his books and in the Post are remarkably reliable and demand serious attention. I am convinced he writes only what he believes to be true or has been reliably told to be true. And he is certainly a force for keeping the government honest."
seems to be losing it. He has been somewhat bored under the Obama administration (not enough scandals I guess), but, his latest criticism of Obama, that he is obeying the law and respecting the constitutional right and responsibility of Congress to set the budget, is extremely bizarre:

Quote:
TPM captures video of the strangest media performance by a reporter so far today: Bob Woodward on Morning Joe. Ever since the White House and a bunch of reporters challenged the analysis of Woodward's Friday column about sequestration, the legendary reporter's been insisting that his targets are merely "confused." He went that route again on the show, scoffing at the White House for fumbling its response to the crisis.

Then he wandered off into the woods without a bathrobe.

Quote:
Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there saying, "Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?" Or George W. Bush saying, "You know, I'm not gonna invade Iraq, because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need?" Or even Bill Clinton saying, "You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters" -- as he did when Clinton was President -- because of some budget document? Under the Constitution, the President is Commander in Chief and employs the force. And so we now have the President going out, because of this piece of paper and this agreement, I can't do what I need to do to protect the country.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...t_control.html
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
zioxide
macrumors 603

This guy sounds like a moron and has 0 credibility as a "journalist".

Let me get this right: he's pissed that President Obama isn't going to babysit Congress anymore and is going to leave them to see if they can do THEIR jobs on their own?

It's exactly what he should be doing
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:08 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I'd say that when Tucker Carlson joins the chorus, it may be time for Mr. Woodward to shut his mouth.

EDIT: And Woodward went on Hannity. Now I know he's full of ****.

Last edited by rdowns; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:12 PM   #4
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
It's one thing to be hated-- in his business, if a lot of people don't hate you, or at least pretend to, you are not doing your job.

It is not nice to be disrespected. But, you have to expect some of that, too.

But, if younger people don't even know who you are? Now, that is a tough pill to swallow.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
It's one thing to be hated-- in his business, if a lot of people don't hate you, or at least pretend to, you are not doing your job.

It is not nice to be disrespected. But, you have to expect some of that, too.

But, if younger people don't even know who you are? Now, that is a tough pill to swallow.
He just sounds like a senile old man who's trying to be mad for the sake of being mad.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:51 PM   #6
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

So a reporter who reveals he's being threatened by the thuggery in the White House and he's the one who has lost his credibility? Ok.
haxrnick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:58 PM   #7
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
So a reporter who reveals he's being threatened by the thuggery in the White House and he's the one who has lost his credibility? Ok.
Please point out this so-called threat to me.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...6.html?hp=t2_3
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:06 PM   #8
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

Sure, here you go.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...y-white-house/

Why not add Lanny Davis to the list too now. He's probably just as senile and over the hill as well, right?
http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/28/la...atened-me-too/
haxrnick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:07 PM   #9
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fta
But I do truly believe you should rethink your comment about saying saying that Potus asking for revenues is moving the goal post. I know you may not believe this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim.

I agree there are more than one side to our first disagreement, but again think this latter issue is diffferent. Not out to argue and argue on this latter point. Just my sincere advice. Your call obviously.
I don't think he's going to beat up Woodward, but maybe cutting his access to the White House and information, possibly. Otherwise it could be a storm in a teacup.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:12 PM   #10
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Why not add another one to the list. When it rains...

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2...et-This-Threat
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:13 PM   #11
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Sure, here you go.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...y-white-house/

Why not add Lanny Davis to the list too now. He's probably just as senile and over the hill as well, right?

I posted a link to the actual emails. Where is the threat? And who the **** cares about Laney Davis; he has nothing to do with this story.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:14 PM   #12
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I consider it a sign of success that both sides of an argument believe I'm biased against them.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Quote:
He just sounds like a senile old man who's trying to be mad for the sake of being mad.
You should really inform yourself about this guy.
obeygiant is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Why not add another one to the list. When it rains...

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2...et-This-Threat
Quote:

Davis of the Washington Times? Breitbart? What unimpeachable sources.

It's too bad Woodward chose to pick this weird fight. He used to be a good journalist. Maybe he still is, for the most part. But that WH official is right. From the mockery Woodward is receiving, he is going to end up regretting this. To wit, from the Washington Post:

Quote:
Since the “threatened” headline began to gain purchase, a number of younger reporters have leapt up to say that they get emails all the time saying much worse, from the flacks of far more threatening and imposing figures, all the time. “I got six emails yesterday saying that Joe Biden was about to sic his trained bears on my home,” they said. ”People never tell me that they think I will ‘regret’ things. They tell me that they think I will RUE THE DAY I wrote such words, and that my error will be FOREVER BRANDED ON MY SOUL.”

“Sometimes,” they added, “Gene Sperling just sends me menacing GIFs of horseheads. But having grown up on the Internet, I am used to this sort of thing. Poor Woodward, so thin-skinned as to mistake this for a threat. I just sent him an email asking him out to coffee and saying his tie looked nice, and he burst into tears and demanded protective custody.”
Horsehead GIFs. LOL.
Thomas Veil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:54 PM   #15
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
Davis of the Washington Times? Breitbart? What unimpeachable sources.

It's too bad Woodward chose to pick this weird fight. He used to be a good journalist. Maybe he still is, for the most part. But that WH official is right. From the mockery Woodward is receiving, he is going to end up regretting this. To wit, from the Washington Post:

Horsehead GIFs. LOL.
So, because what he feels is a threat and announces it publicly he's no longer a good journalist? Got it.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:23 PM   #16
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So, because what he feels is a threat and announces it publicly he's no longer a good journalist? Got it.
Yes that is correct. Whenever a liberal journalist gains common sense and questions this administration he will be discredited, ridiculed, demeaned and in Bob's case called senile and over the hill.
edk99 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:25 PM   #17
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
Yes that is correct. Whenever a liberal journalist gains common sense and questions this administration he will be discredited, ridiculed, demeaned and in Bob's case called senile and over the hill.
Seems fair to me, and very objective.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:40 AM   #18
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
Seems fair to me, and very objective.
OK, you all really don't have a clue about him, do you? You are making me feel officially very old. I thought "everyone" knew who Bob Woodward was. He still writes books (last one not so great), he has a column (kind of odd lately), he appears on TV (he's not looking so good lately, but then, neither am I). I guess he just looks like any random old guy to you young guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
You should really inform yourself about this guy.
+1

He's a historical figure himself (Watergate) who has been a remarkable interviewer, getting information into the historical record that other people have not been able to get. Veil, for example. Woodward has provided a mouthpiece for the powerful, which some people find annoying, and some of his reported "conversations" are considered fictional composites, and yet, at the same time, he has been able to reach the right sources to put together a picture of what happened that is often much more revealing than intended by those same powerful people. Love him or hate him, anyone interested in history and current events ought to have read at least a couple of his books. They are all in the library.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If you're going to selectively highlight my post, it might help your cause to not quote the whole thing. Really weakens your case.
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:16 AM   #20
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
OK, you all really don't have a clue about him, do you? You are making me feel officially very old. I thought "everyone" knew who Bob Woodward was. He still writes books (last one not so great), he has a column (kind of odd lately), he appears on TV (he's not looking so good lately, but then, neither am I). I guess he just looks like any random old guy to you young guys?...
Not sure why you included me in your quote list. Perhaps you didn't detect the sarcasm in my post.

I voted for Nixon, so I certainly know who Bob Woodward is (he's Robert Redford, right, as opposed to Carl Dustin Bernstein? )
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:59 AM   #21
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
I voted for Nixon, so I certainly know who Bob Woodward is (he's Robert Redford, right, as opposed to Carl Dustin Bernstein? )
Touche'

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues