Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

CSCOPE in Texas Schools

I happened to stumble on the right wing website "The Daily Caller" this morning, while reading some news. The big story is something called CSCOPE, which has supplied some materials for Texas schools, according to the website. According to the website -- I haven't been out looking for CSCOPE materials -- CSCOPE is teaching Texas schoolchildren that, for example, Islam is an awesome religion but Christianity is a "cult".

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/21/te...hool-students/

Now, 99 times out of 100, these right-wing sites are taking something completely out of context. For example, at the college level, religious studies classes do teach, or at least used to teach, that all religions are "cults". Back in the day, one sometimes read items that used the word "cult" in glowingly positive terms. But, in recent years "cult" has taken on a more restricted and purely negative meaning. Either way, it would be a misleading misuse of language to describe Christianity and a cult and Islam as not a cult. But, they claim to be giving some direct quotes from the CSCOPE teaching materials that sound remarkably clumsy. Any teachers out there familiar with CSCOPE teaching materials?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2
GermanyChris
Banned

This is why god is wonderful..

Na na my god is better than your god.. *out come the guns*

I'm much to sophisticated for your god, this god is better *tenure*
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:37 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

As I haven't seen anything anywhere else on this and you linked to an opinion piece, I'm going to call this the next right wing outrage. Let's see if anyone else picks this up.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

It's out of Texas, what else can you expect?
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:34 PM   #5
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Like things out of California are the model of sanity?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:42 PM   #6
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post

Here we go....
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:51 PM   #7
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Actually I would expect the exact opposite out of Texas; Calling Islam the cult.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:06 PM   #8
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
...According to the website -- I haven't been out looking for CSCOPE materials -- CSCOPE is teaching Texas schoolchildren that, for example, Islam is an awesome religion but Christianity is a "cult"...
And this is why the right can fan the flames - ignorance.

http://www.cscope.us/curriculum.html

Educate yourself.

Glenn Beck got upset because one of the lessons suggested that from the perspecive of the British at the time, the Boston Tea Party was an act of terrorism. The lesson (as implied by Beck) did not claim that it was an act of terrorism. The lesson encouraged students to take a diffferent perspective in evaluating a specific event. And that type of mature, critical analysis is an anathema to those who want to dictate their view of the world to the exclusion of all other views.
eawmp1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
Don't argue with a fool. He'll bring you down to his level and defeat you with experience.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:38 AM   #10
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Well, the daily caller was founded by Mr. Carlson.

"I swear, as god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues