Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

rainbow_apple_logo-250x279.jpg
Bloomberg reports that Apple is among 60 companies that have signed on to a filing that will be presented to the Supreme Court backing gay marriage in the United States. The court is currently weighing the constitutionality of California's Proposition 8, in which voters barred gay marriage in 2008. Apple had publicly opposed Proposition 8 at the time.
"No matter how welcoming the corporate culture, it cannot overcome the societal stigma institutionalized by Proposition 8 and similar laws," the companies will argue, according to a copy of the brief provided by Orrick Herrington Sutcliffe LLP, the law firm representing the group.

The filing is part of an effort to convince the court that gay marriage has wide public support. Dozens of Republicans, including former presidential candidate and Utah Governor Jon Huntsman and former New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman, are also planning to file a brief backing such unions.
Only nine states explicitly permit same-sex marriage, and the companies signing the filing argue that workplace morale and recruiting are harmed in the other 41 states. Among the companies joining Apple on the filing are Intel, Facebook, Nike, Oracle, and Qualcomm. The Supreme Court will begin hearing arguments on the Proposition 8 case and a second one addressing the federal Defense of Marriage Act in late March.

Note: Due to the controversial nature of this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts. Please keep the discussion civil or the discussion thread will be closed.

Article Link: Apple Among 60 Companies to File Statement with U.S. Supreme Court Backing Gay Marriage

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I think this is great. Anyone should be able to marry any one they want as long as its mutual, no matter what gender they are

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Well this is a big DUH.

Considering Tim Cook is gay.

I would like to think that it would have happened in any case. Unless the implication is that the other 59 companies did it because of a vested interest rather than just believing it to be the right thing to do.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Love the choice of image. And for everyone who says Apple doesn't give back to the community... It may not be Bill/Melinda Gates Foundation level but this and their work for the fight against AIDS make me proud to be a customer and loyal fan :)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Haha. I was waiting on someone to say Tim's name. I bet most instantly thought of him when they read this. Oh well. Not our business.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Good for Apple. Consenting adults should be able to do what they want. I'm sure the Supreme Court will make the right decision on this.

Marriage shouldn't be a government issue at all in the first place, anyways. :apple:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I commend Apple for standing up for what they believe in. This will drive away some customers, and bring some others in. But, this is obviously not about the customers, this is about standing behind what they feel is right, which is great.

I'm sure I'll hear about it. I live in a very Conservative area (And I guess I'm somewhat conservative myself, though liberal on some issues), I'm a strong Christian and so are most of my friends. I'm a little different than they are though. Though I'm conflicted on what the scriptures tell us about social issues like Homosexuality, God intends for us to follow Him, he never intended for the government to enforce Him, not to mention our understanding of God and the Bible is flawed and has changed countless times over the last 2,000 years! It's time we back off and focus on what God has called us to do instead of trying to spend all of our time enforcing our understanding of Christian morality on people who don't feel the same way. But; anyway, point is- I'm sure I'm going to hear all kinds of folks demanding we boycott Apple. We still buy gasoline made from oil owned by radicals in the middle easy don't we?

Anyway, that's my mini-rant. Kudos to Apple, whatever side they take, I'm glade they stand up for what they think is right, and aren't afraid of upsetting a few folks and being a little politically incorrect.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Government shouldn't have anything to do with marriage in the first place - the entire thing is a religious concept and so having the government say it is or isn't allowed is like having the government approve and disapprove of specific religions (which is explicitly non-constitutional.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.