Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
For the office/work environment, has anyone replaced their iPod Touch with an iPad Mini for listening to music/internet radio? Many of my favorite streaming Apps are no longer compatible with my old 2nd gen iPod Touch. I'm not sure if I should take the Mini everyday with me to work or just buy a used newer generation iPod Touch. It just makes me nervous that if I leave my desk, my Mini might disappear. I guess I could toss it a desk drawer when I walk away.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
For the office/work environment, has anyone replaced their iPod Touch with an iPad Mini for listening to music/internet radio? Many of my favorite streaming Apps are no longer compatible with my old 2nd gen iPod Touch. I'm not sure if I should take the Mini everyday with me to work or just buy a used newer generation iPod Touch. It just makes me nervous that if I leave my desk, my Mini might disappear. I guess I could toss it a desk drawer when I walk away.

It hasn't replaced my touch. I use the touch for movies, music, games etc and the iPad for Internet, keeping in touch with family when away and other mobile computing needs where a laptop isnt required. I enjoy it for that and the iPad specific apps. The touch and the iPad are two completely different products with overlapping capabilities. For what you want, I'd go with the touch. You get twice the storage, the same processor, a retina screen and something you can easily fit into your pocket.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
For what you want, I'd go with the touch. You get twice the storage, the same processor, a retina screen and something you can easily fit into your pocket.

Thanks, You're right. That is a more sensible way to look at it.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If your primary use for the iPod touch is listening to music, then I would buy a new iPod touch. I don't think that the mini is practical as a music player. I use the iPhone for playing music.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Which iPod touch? I would not lay out $299 for the 5 but I would prefer that you over the others if you were going to browse, watch movies, play games, etc. That said, I could not see going for $299 for the 5 when the mini is $329 even with the Touch extra storage and retina.

I looked at it a few times but because of its size, I would not use it for anything but music to tell the truth.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Would you get $300 worth of use out of a new 5G Touch? Carrying around a mini, and having to put it in a drawer each time you step away from your desk sounds like a bother just for background music, too.

You might consider picking up a cheaper 4G Touch off e-bay or somewhere. I don't know if they're that much cheaper, though.

Regards,
Tom

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I'm wondering if the 3rd gen Touch would be enough. Apps like SoundCloud, TuneIn Radio, and Ambiance require an OS version that my 2nd gen Touch can no longer support.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse

I used to have both an iPad 2 and iPod touch 4th gen. I found that I was using the iPad more for apps, and only using the iPod touch for music/movies instead of the apps I had installed on it. (Incidentally, I had the same set of apps on both devices, plus some apps that I only had the iPad version) After selling both, I consolidated to an iPad mini; consequently, I now enjoy having the best of both worlds and the fact that I have both my media and apps on just 1 device. :)

In summary: Yes, I did replace my iPod touch with an iPad mini. I find if I'm on the go whether lost/stranded or not, the 7.9" screen makes for a wonderful internet device and media device. (Especially with those dual speakers on the bottom. ;))

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Unless you like slow laggy performance and lots of crashing don't get a 4th gen. At this point it's either 5th gem or bust. Even for music and light app usage.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Unless you like slow laggy performance and lots of crashing don't get a 4th gen. At this point it's either 5th gem or bust. Even for music and light app usage.

That sounds like a very defective device -- you shouldn't accept that as normal. My 4th gen is operating just fine, including graphics-intensive games (RR2, etc).

Regards,
Tom

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
That sounds like a very defective device -- you shouldn't accept that as normal. My 4th gen is operating just fine, including graphics-intensive games (RR2, etc).

Regards,
Tom

If I do not go with another contract for smartphone, I may look at the 4th Gen. I would prefer the 5 but not at its current cost.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If I do not go with another contract for smartphone, I may look at the 4th Gen. I would prefer the 5 but not at its current cost.

The hardware in the 4th gen is going on 4 years old as its the same as is in the 3GS with just a 200mhz faster processor. Bad investment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.