Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodega.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
Hi folks,

Has anybody noticed Mountain Lion changing their folders' Date Modified dates?

I've got an external HD for my music, which runs about 200gig in almost 1900 folders within a folder entitled iTunes. The problem is that when I view the top level of that folder by Date Modified I can often see folders that haven't been modified in months or years jumping to the top. I frequently view folders by how recently I've added songs, so this behaviour is pretty problematic.

Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

Matthew

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
iTunes 11.0.2
I had a look, and it turns out that many of my artist folders now have mod dates of 12:09 or 12:10 PM today.
?
There doesn't seem to be any correlation to what I've played recently or how long I've had particular albums.
The change seems to be working its way through folders by Name; nearly everything from #,A to M.
At least the mod dates on individual songs are still OK.
I'm not even signed in to iTunes store, much less match/cloud.
Something odd is going on.

Just checked another Mac w a big iTunes Library, iTunes 11.0.1, that's been played a lot recently. There's no sign of artist folder's mod dates changing.

Problem might be related to recent (Feb 19) 11.0.1->11.0.2 update.

Last edited:

Bodega.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
Sounds like what I've got, though mine isn't iTunes 11-related. I'm still on iTunes 10.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I don't think this is a weird behaviour. I would presume that something has indeed modified those files for some reason.

However, if you're using iTunes, there shouldn't be a need to navigate through the files in the Finder. It may be that manipulating these files in the Finder has caused the modification date to change. You can display the Modification date in iTunes.

A quick check through my iTunes files shows the mod dates to be as expected -- some dating back to 2003. I'm on 11.02.

bpierce

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Date Modified changing in OSX 10.9 Mavericks

I recently started having the save issue in OSX 10.9 Mavericks. Date Modified is changing for dozens of the "Artist" folders located in my 'Amazon MP3' folder. This folder was created originally by the Amazon MP3 download app and is located on the internal drive of my Mac Mini.

I am also experiencing the same issue with music/video file folders on external drives. Ironically different file folders have date changes when comparing backup drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.