Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Hey guys

I am finding I miss my alien-ware m17x a little, but I am happy with my move to macOS. I was used to having a 21K 3dmark06 score and a machine that could play most games on high.

I am now thinking of getting either an alien-ware x51 or making my own microatx machine and stashing it under a desk or something, but I want to be able to only use one keyboard and mouse to pilot the whole thing.

I have an external 1080p 22" monitor now that works great on the mac, I am thinking of using synergy - anyone else do this? Post up what you have, I'd be interested.

Thanks!

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Hey guys

I am finding I miss my alien-ware m17x a little, but I am happy with my move to macOS. I was used to having a 21K 3dmark06 score and a machine that could play most games on high.

I am now thinking of getting either an alien-ware x51 or making my own microatx machine and stashing it under a desk or something, but I want to be able to only use one keyboard and mouse to pilot the whole thing.

I have an external 1080p 22" monitor now that works great on the mac, I am thinking of using synergy - anyone else do this? Post up what you have, I'd be interested.

Thanks!

See my signature - this is what I do. It's the perfect compromise.

The X51 with GTX 660 runs most games on ultra/high perfectly fine and sits under my TV.

Decent gaming on that, and work/portability/media on my MacBook :)

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I've been using Shuttle barebones PCs as the basis for my media center PCs and gaming rigs for a decade now. They're about a cubic foot in volume and have good cooling systems and full connectivity, internal and external. The only real downside is no SLi/CrossFire as they only have one PCI-Ex16 slot, but for a sub-$1000 system a single GTX660 is more than powerful enough anyway.

Never tried Synergy as these rigs are almost always connected to my HDTV and not at my desk, but I may have to look into that now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.