Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hello there can i ask assistant for those expert how to activate my mountain lion airport? is it same configuration for Lion too?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hello there can i ask assistant for those expert how to activate my mountain lion airport? is it same configuration for Lion too?

To little information here.
What do you want to do, for instance, do you have an Airport Express, time Capsule or the like, or do you want to activate ML, which is not needed.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
To little information here.
What do you want to do, for instance, do you have an Airport Express, time Capsule or the like, or do you want to activate ML, which is not needed.

im just new on mac can you give idea which best for me? i just wanna activate my airport for me to share my internet sorry, what is the use of airport express, time capsule or ML?

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
just wanna make my macbook mountain lion as a airport base station any idea? i tried to click the app airport utility but nothing happen

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
im just new on mac can you give idea which best for me? i just wanna activate my airport for me to share my internet sorry, what is the use of airport express, time capsule or ML?

just wanna make my macbook mountain lion as a airport base station any idea? i tried to click the app airport utility but nothing happen

The problem is language here I think, I am still not sure what you actually want, try to explain more, try more than one sentence.
Or, if English is not so good use Google translate and paste here.

But, I think I might get it, you want to share your internet from your Macbook to other devices like an iPhone, iPad and the like./

If this is the case you need to do this in System preferences, if you are connected with a USB 3G or Ethernet Cable, go to the sharing Preference Pane, click on Internet sharing, then on the right there;s a Tab on the top which you can choose your active internet from, this normally is already set to the active one, then below you can choose which ones you want to share to, make sure to click the advanced tab below that for making a password for that connection.

Also, if you just want to switch the Airport on, this is maybe what you mean, go to the network preferences, click on Airport, there is a button on the right to switch on or off, also in the lower part there is a box which you can check to Enable the Airport Menu in the Menu Bar.(Show Wifi-Status in Menu Bar

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 15.56.53.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 15.56.53.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 278
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 15.57.15.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 15.57.15.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 221

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
The problem is language here I think, I am still not sure what you actually want, try to explain more, try more than one sentence.
Or, if English is not so good use Google translate and paste here.

But, I think I might get it, you want to share your internet from your Macbook to other devices like an iPhone, iPad and the like./

If this is the case you need to do this in System preferences, if you are connected with a USB 3G or Ethernet Cable, go to the sharing Preference Pane, click on Internet sharing, then on the right there;s a Tab on the top which you can choose your active internet from, this normally is already set to the active one, then below you can choose which ones you want to share to, make sure to click the advanced tab below that for making a password for that connection.

Also, if you just want to switch the Airport on, this is maybe what you mean, go to the network preferences, click on Airport, there is a button on the right to switch on or off, also in the lower part there is a box which you can check to Enable the Airport Menu in the Menu Bar.(Show Wifi-Status in Menu Bar

IM sorry for my poor english construction, i thought people will understand the word "base station" hehehe anyway uhmmm glad you understand a bit what i want to be, uhmm i only want to activate "airport" to share my internet from my macbook using usng USB 3G to other devices as you mention above, but i cant find my "airport" when i open my network preference, i try to click "+" to look for "airport" but it was not in the list, so how would i do this? oh yeah this airport is version 6.1 OS X Lion for my imac, actually i have two computers to configure my airport, imac OS X Lion and macbook pro Mountain Lion, the attachement file picture is an Version 6.1 OS X Lion

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 10.27.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 10.27.39 AM.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 154

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
IM sorry for my poor english construction, i thought people will understand the word "base station" hehehe anyway uhmmm glad you understand a bit what i want to be, uhmm i only want to activate "airport" to share my internet from my macbook using usng USB 3G to other devices as you mention above, but i cant find my "airport" when i open my network preference, i try to click "+" to look for "airport" but it was not in the list, so how would i do this? oh yeah this airport is version 6.1 OS X Lion for my imac, actually i have two computers to configure my airport, imac OS X Lion and macbook pro Mountain Lion, the attachement file picture is an Version 6.1 OS X Lion

Sorry to say this, but are you drunk, it's right there on the screenshot, it's the Wi-Fi, and it is OFF

Only on Older OS X versions it is called Airport, now it is Wi-Fi.

So, switch on Wifi, then go into Sharing and the Wi-Fi will be there for sharing.

Click on the Wi-Fi and the Box to show status menu will also be there, check it and the menu item will appear on the Menu Bar.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Sorry to say this, but are you drunk, it's right there on the screenshot, it's the Wi-Fi, and it is OFF

Only on Older OS X versions it is called Airport, now it is Wi-Fi.

So, switch on Wifi, then go into Sharing and the Wi-Fi will be there for sharing.

Click on the Wi-Fi and the Box to show status menu will also be there, check it and the menu item will appear on the Menu Bar.

Hahahaha im not drunk im just ignorant for apple non consistent of their application name my snow leopard is "airport" and when i look at on my macbook its "wifi" i didnt know that new one is no longer called "airport" and its named "wifi" sorry for my ignorance but yes i try to search between wifi and airport and i found out that its the same but to late i already post my concern looking for "airport" which is "wifi" because im still wondering my macbook has an airport apps, so yes i tried to connect my 3g usb on my macbook pro after i read some furoms that wifi and airport are same, but yet i cant share my internet to other devices even if i turn it on my wifi from my macbook, where did i go wrong? when i try to turn on my wifi its searching and i saw wordings that read " i havent connect to the internet" which is im wondering my macbook is already have my 3g usb attached on it, i want to share and not to have connection hehehe:):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.