Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
boneskid1
macrumors member

recomend / help me decide on a new device.

alright so i have the following computers / devices
macbook 1,1
powerbook g4 5,9
nexus 7
galaxy nexus
raspberry pi
amd desktop pc

and what i have noticed recently is that all i ever do is sit on the internet, occasionally i will play a game but that is either on my phone or the desktop pc.
so i got to thinking if i got rid of everything that i didn't use i could get me something new just to browse the web, make the occasional text document, and send/ check email.

these are the devices i have considered

$249 samsung chromebook 16gb
pros: Cheap, Light, trackpad, sd card slot
cons: not very many apps, no real os just a web browser

full size ipad 32gb with clamcase for a built in keyboard.....................$749
pros: so many apps, a little more capable
cons: price, no trackpad but can be added with a bluetooth trackpad

ipad mini 64gb..................................................$678
pros: smaller and same as above
consrice but not so much as above

i also considered one of the transformer pads from asus but the haven't been updated in a while

i you could give some thoughts and opinions i would really appreciate it.

i do understand it is me not you but i would like to here some points from others instead of myself
Thanks,
Boneskid1

P.S. if i end up going the ipad route i will probably hold out until the next hardware update
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2
stonyc
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to stonyc
If you stay with Apple products, go for an iPad and one of these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...keyboard-cover

There are other options out there for more stationary input, but what I linked is what I have for more extensive on-the-go typing.

My parents actually have transitioned from a Dell PC, to IBM laptops... then they go iPhones... fell in love with the iOS interface... and for the holidays got the Retina iPads (64gb) with the keyboard cover that I linked. I installed Pages, etc. on their iPads and now they don't use their laptops anymore. My mom's next device on her wishlist is now the Apple TV.
stonyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I would go with the full sized iPad. I think you wil find the mini too small for what you want to do. I use mine for the majority of media consumption - web browsing, reading email, books, and games.

Asking on a Apple targeted forum will get you opinions weighted towards Apple products.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
boneskid1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
Asking on a Apple targeted forum will get you opinions weighted towards Apple products.
yeah i know that, but i didnt hurt to ask. i will probably go for the fullsize my parents have one and the screen is awesome but it is a bit large compared to my nexus 7 and the ipad mini. first though i got to sell my laptops and nexus 7
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #5
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
alright so i have the following computers / devices
macbook 1,1
powerbook g4 5,9
nexus 7
galaxy nexus
raspberry pi
amd desktop pc

and what i have noticed recently is that all i ever do is sit on the internet, occasionally i will play a game but that is either on my phone or the desktop pc.
so i got to thinking if i got rid of everything that i didn't use i could get me something new just to browse the web, make the occasional text document, and send/ check email.

these are the devices i have considered

$249 samsung chromebook 16gb
pros: Cheap, Light, trackpad, sd card slot
cons: not very many apps, no real os just a web browser

full size ipad 32gb with clamcase for a built in keyboard.....................$749
pros: so many apps, a little more capable
cons: price, no trackpad but can be added with a bluetooth trackpad

ipad mini 64gb..................................................$678
pros: smaller and same as above
consrice but not so much as above

i also considered one of the transformer pads from asus but the haven't been updated in a while

i you could give some thoughts and opinions i would really appreciate it.

i do understand it is me not you but i would like to here some points from others instead of myself
Thanks,
Boneskid1

P.S. if i end up going the ipad route i will probably hold out until the next hardware update
If you're going to spend that kind of money on an iPad, you might as well snag a refurb MacBook Air for $800. A MacBook Air will deliver much better power and performance, and also be more flexible and less constricted.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:26 PM   #6
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

While waiting for my wife to pick out something in a store today I got the chance to play with an iPad mini for a little. Due to my short fingers I found it no easier to hold than my full sized iPad. Trying to palm it in one hand was very uncomfortable. Those that can palm a basketball may find it nice but the size does nothing for me.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice