Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Radiating
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
The Radical iPhone 5S Redesign.



The iPhone 5S.

Apple is well known to be a leader in the market, but the 2 year refresh schedule is both a boon and a curse. In an industry which typically release major overhauls every 6 months, each iPhone iteration needs to be 2 years more advanced than anything else. This upgrade process is great for accessories which are given time to develop into the best in the world but means to innovate Apple needs to think outside the box.

This iPhone 5S offers to change a whole lot without changing too much and most importantly the overall shape of the device remains identical. So your accessories are given top priority to remain just as great as they ever were

Major Features:

- Aluminum unibody design now with two new beautiful strips of delicately machined aluminum running along the top and bottom of the front face. Inspired by the long standing design of the iMac desktop the square glass and rounded aluminium bring unity to the Apple lineup.

- Identical rear and side shape.

- 4.2" IGOZ 1704x960 HD Retina display. Apple has done away with the dead space around the display and made the bezel smaller so your phone still fits beautifully and comfortably in one hand, the bezel is shrunk so your fingers don't have to grow.

- Pressure sensitive home button strip. The home button is still there in spirit carved out of the lower aluminum strip but now the iPhone 5S uses a pressure sensitive pad with a seamless built-in fingerprint sensor, the strip at the bottom of the phone senses pressure and the center reads your unique biometric ID when you are pressing it, and takes the same amount of force to press as the iPhone 5's home button but will last 10 times longer and allows you to do away with the pass-code (if you want).

- Proprietary sub-pixel processing algorithm so all of your old apps look crisper than ever, with or without updating your apps. Each iPhone 5S now has 9 pixels for every one that the iPhone 4 had.

- GPU and processing speed have each doubled yet again, and the cameras each now produce half as much noise while retaining more detail. Stereo speakers inspired by the great results of the iPad 4 are integrated seamlessly into the existing lower cutouts.

Last edited by Radiating; Feb 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
Radiating is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
John55455
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Creepy! It looks like a Galaxy S3 now. I think it should have a bigger screen without changing the bezels, so it still looks like an iPhone.
John55455 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:54 PM   #3
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John55455 View Post
Creepy! It looks like a Galaxy S3 now. I think it should have a bigger screen without changing the bezels, so it still looks like an iPhone.
I really like the idea of a slightly wider screen. The iPhone (imo) is getting too tall without the width adjusting, so it's starting to look awkwardly skinny and tall.
__________________
Lots of Apples in my basket.
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:24 AM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
I really like the idea of a slightly wider screen. The iPhone (imo) is getting too tall without the width adjusting, so it's starting to look awkwardly skinny and tall.
I don't really understand this. It's got the same 16:9 ratio as all the other leading smartphones. I guess they just don't look awkward because they are bigger all around?
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
mrkramer
macrumors 601
 
mrkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere
The earliest you'll see a redesign is the iPhone 6. S models are always just small updates. That said I hope Apple doesn't keep increasing the screen size, the 5 is almost too big as it is.
__________________
"Jesus was the first socialist, the first to seek a better life for mankind." -Mikhail Gorbachev
mrkramer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
If a Retina display has more pixels per inch than the eye can see, why do we need more resolution segmentation and another 100 ppi? Another set of resolutions for devs to work on means even bigger apps and more headaches for a phone that's 0.2" bigger.

That makey no sense.

As seen by the rumor of a stock split tomorrow, I think Apple's cycle on phones is working quite well. In the US, you don't have to appeal to the people who just bought an iPhone 5 with an iPhone 5s. You're working on the iPhone 4S and older crowd. That's me. I'm already sold because of a larger screen and LTE.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver iPhone 5S 32GB (silver 64GB iPhone 6 coming soon!); white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Won't happen.
Beeplance is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:25 AM   #8
mackandproud
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Image

The iPhone 5S.

Apple is well known to be a leader in the market, but the 2 year refresh schedule is both a boon and a curse. In an industry which typically release major overhauls every 6 months, each iPhone iteration needs to be 2 years more advanced than anything else. This upgrade process is great for accessories which are given time to develop into the best in the world but means to innovate Apple needs to think outside the box.

This iPhone 5S offers to change a whole lot without changing too much and most importantly the overall shape of the device remains identical. So your accessories are given top priority to remain just as great as they ever were

Major Features:

- Aluminum unibody design now with two new beautiful strips of delicately machined aluminum running along the top and bottom of the front face. Inspired by the long standing design of the iMac desktop the square glass and rounded aluminium bring unity to the Apple lineup.

- Identical rear and side shape.

- 4.2" IGOZ 1704x960 HD Retina display. Apple has done away with the dead space around the display and made the bezel smaller so your phone still fits beautifully and comfortably in one hand, the bezel is shrunk so your fingers don't have to grow.

- Pressure sensitive home button strip. The home button is still there in spirit carved out of the lower aluminum strip but now the iPhone 5S uses a pressure sensitive pad with a seamless built-in fingerprint sensor, the strip at the bottom of the phone senses pressure and the center reads your unique biometric ID when you are pressing it, and takes the same amount of force to press as the iPhone 5's home button but will last 10 times longer and allows you to do away with the pass-code (if you want).

- Proprietary sub-pixel processing algorithm so all of your old apps look crisper than ever, with or without updating your apps. Each iPhone 5S now has 9 pixels for every one that the iPhone 4 had.

- GPU and processing speed have each doubled yet again, and the cameras each now produce half as much noise while retaining more detail. Stereo speakers inspired by the great results of the iPad 4 are integrated seamlessly into the existing lower cutouts.
mackandproud is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Skika
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nope.

Very bad idea.
__________________
MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone
Skika is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:22 AM   #10
syd430
Guest
 
I like it. I think that apple should adjust the size of the iphone by a couple of millimeters every year. Won't cause any problems with apps or one-handed use at all.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:58 AM   #11
syd430
Guest
 
Also, simply making the bezels smaller doesn't solve the one handed use problem as suggested by the OP. Fiiting nicely in the hand and one handed use are not the same thing. The users thumb would still have to reach further to reach the top corners of the screen.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:04 AM   #12
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
From now on they're going to change the resolution every year. Just to throw everyone off.
Jimmy James is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Peter Chao
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
 
That's fake.
__________________
Stop drinking the hatorade and start drinking the bubble tea! Chao outside mothaf*ka!
Peter Chao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Apple is also going to change the aspect ratio to 16 x 9.5.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:10 PM   #15
macMD
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Works for me but Apple could care less what we the end user customers think. They know people will simply buy it because its an Apple product and they will buy it regardless. So what if the design is getting old, outdated and not as innovative as it was in 2007. Yes that is right its not as innovative as 2007. Apple should be pushing the envelop not following everyone else a couple of years later. Maps, Passbook, security flaws all in iOS 6 this shows there is real issues that many gloss over and pass off as nothing big.

I don't expect or want the phone to be 5" but I expect it to keep some level of competitive edge with what customers want. Yes I like iOS but that doesn't mean I only use iOS.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Radiating
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
Works for me but Apple could care less what we the end user customers think. They know people will simply buy it because its an Apple product and they will buy it regardless. So what if the design is getting old, outdated and not as innovative as it was in 2007. Yes that is right its not as innovative as 2007. Apple should be pushing the envelop not following everyone else a couple of years later. Maps, Passbook, security flaws all in iOS 6 this shows there is real issues that many gloss over and pass off as nothing big.

I don't expect or want the phone to be 5" but I expect it to keep some level of competitive edge with what customers want. Yes I like iOS but that doesn't mean I only use iOS.
See here's the thing. Apple is in a unique position. Because of carrier subsidies they are one of the only companies that can sell a $180 product for $750 on average, and sell 100 million of those per year generating 50 billion in profit.

The iPhone is the single most profitable object on earth by total income. Not gold, not oil, not diamonds, iPhones.

It is mind blowing therefore that Apple is doing anything but pouring the best minds in the world to create the best possible technologies that mankind has ever seen into the next device. Apple is sitting on the most valuable thing in human history and if they do not innovate, they will squander it.

Yes people will buy their product regardless, but only until they realize that Apple is not at the top of their game, and if Apple choses not to deliver amazing innovation they will slowly kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

If and when we come to a situation where people en-masse realize that there are other much better products for them besides the iPhone their market share will plumet.
Radiating is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:37 PM   #17
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
I don't see this happening. I won't even be a smartass..
__________________
Mid 2012 MacBook Air 13.3", 1.8GHz, 256GB | iPhone 5S 64GB | iPhone 5 64GB | iPhone 4S 64GB | Apple TV | Airport Extreme
aDRock1154 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:08 PM   #18
blairh
macrumors 68010
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
Smh with this.

Anyways, we'll probably get a 5" model this fall or in 2014. They'll keep the 4" model at the same time.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:00 PM   #19
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a
 
MarcBook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Display size and resolution are very unlikely to change for the iPhone 6, let alone the 5S.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the aluminium top and bottom looks horrifically ugly? Definitely not going to change, especially since there's totally no reason to. Oh, and the currently near-hidden FaceTime HD camera and proximity sensor would stand out horribly on aluminium as well.

Edit: I just remembered what it reminds me of... the BlackBerry Z10. Yuck.
__________________
Early-2011 High-Res 15.4" MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite
iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey
Custom gaming PC
MarcBook is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:54 PM   #20
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a
 
quietstormSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Actually it looks pretty sweet.
__________________
Early 2011 13" MBP 2.3GHz Intel Core i5; iPhone 4S 32GB white on at&t; iPod Shuffle 4th gen; iPad Air WIFI 32GB silver/white

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:55 AM   #21
Radiating
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBook View Post
Display size and resolution are very unlikely to change for the iPhone 6, let alone the 5S.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the aluminium top and bottom looks horrifically ugly? Definitely not going to change, especially since there's totally no reason to. Oh, and the currently near-hidden FaceTime HD camera and proximity sensor would stand out horribly on aluminium as well.

Edit: I just remembered what it reminds me of... the BlackBerry Z10. Yuck.


Top and bottom aluminium strips are very elegant. I think you just have the wrong idea because of the viewpoint.

Try imaging it more like this photo.

The proximity sensor and light sensor will be hidden in the glass display bezel.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:40 AM   #22
bushman4
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Nice job. Hopefully Tim Cook has the same ideas. This would be a nice piece of hardware. The one thing missing is the NFC chip which should be useful in payments processing now that Visa and Master ard are on board
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:02 AM   #23
Ann P
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Looks great, the bezel really needs to go.
Ann P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:07 AM   #24
ggmissmolly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lexington, KY
If Apple put a free sex organ of your choice in the next iPhone some of you would have a problem with that. If you want something else, why not just go get it? What's all this chatter about? No one is making you buy an iPhone.

Why does this go on and on?
ggmissmolly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:09 AM   #25
Ann P
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly View Post
If Apple put a free sex organ of your choice in the next iPhone some of you would have a problem with that. If you want something else, why not just go get it? What's all this chatter about? No one is making you buy an iPhone.

Why does this go on and on?
It's an Apple discussion forums... you know, where people voice their ideas, opinions and concerns. Just wondering why are you here?
Ann P is offline   6 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Next iPhone needs complete redesign bushman4 iPhone 123 Mar 6, 2013 06:56 AM
Radical iPhone 5 Cases wrkactjob iPhone Accessories 5 Sep 22, 2012 06:19 PM
iPhone 5 is a Redesign? LouieSamman iPhone 30 Sep 14, 2012 10:02 AM
Iphone 5 Redesign tmanto02 iPhone 27 Jun 23, 2012 08:03 AM
why do i feel iPhone 5 will not be a MAJOR redesign? animatedude iPhone 90 Jun 19, 2012 02:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps