Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Ok, so I was in an accident on Monday morning. Most likely the car's totaled. I have a $500 deductible so I'll be out that, plus I'll need to buy a new car.

I'm not in a position to put down a decent down payment but I'll be getting a bonus on 3-21. Problem is I'll need to get the car around 3-8.

I've recently sold some of my unwanted stuff on eBay and only have an HTC Hero left, which is only worth about $10 maybe. The only big item I have is my 2010 MacBook Pro.

What I'm planning on doing is selling this, using the money to help put down a down payment and stuff, then once I get my bonus either get a newer MBP or get a less expensive older one then save up to get a newer one later on. I've thought of just switching to iPad or just using my iPhone but I use Quicken for all my financial stuff and I'd like to keep that if possible.

Thoughts? Any other solutions?

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I haven't been on the forum long but to me the question you're asking would probably best answered by friends, family members or people who actually know you. It's less about MBP than it is about your financial well being.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I haven't been on the forum long but to me the question you're asking would probably best answered by friends, family members or people who actually know you. It's less about MBP than it is about your financial well being.

True. I guess I was mainly looking for pricing advice. I'm looking for about $1,500. Just don't want to plan for this then find out I can only get $300 for this or something like that.

hawon

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
True. I guess I was mainly looking for pricing advice. I'm looking for about $1,500. Just don't want to plan for this then find out I can only get $300 for this or something like that.

What is your spec? I highly doubt you can get $1500 for 3 years old mbp. You can get base 13" for that new

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
What is your spec? I highly doubt you can get $1500 for 3 years old mbp. You can get base 13" for that new

It's in my signature. I know I won't get that much but I'm hoping to get most of it.

Mainly I guess I'm trying a bit to upgrade, or maybe downgrade and get some cash out.

And also just thinking about it instead of sleeping. Going to be a long day at work tomorrow if I don't get to sleep.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
$1,500? I just bought a brand new rMBP for $1,400.

Your likely to get maybe half that, maybe! And thats if its in very very good condition.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Hmmmm.. I do not know..

Well, sorry to hear on all the troubles you are having.. That being said, up here in Canada I doubt you would get more than $800-900 unless it is exceptional ~ Low Battery Cycles, nice Bag, accessories, etc..

I believe a 2010 as such would make it a MC371LL/A, and ebay Sold Items says this to me:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptops-Net...MC371LL/A&_pppn=r1&_dcat=111422&LH_Complete=1

And as an FYI, here are the current 15" Refurbs available that come with Full Warranty!! :apple:

I wish you well, but don't see how you would get near $1500 unless 'your signature computer' has not been updated and there is a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM you are not telling us about!! :D

Last edited:

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
?....Mainly I guess I'm trying a bit to upgrade, ..........

Can't afford transportation you need but don't have, but want to upgrade a computer you have but don't need ........... You should just get a government job :D!

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I sold an HP with similar specs not too long ago for $600. If it's in good shape and comes with a bag or something you should be able to get $1000 for it. Craigslist can be your friend.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
If you sold that 2010 spec'd computer on eBay you'd be lucky to get 1000-1100 (before shipping & fees). Craigslist may be a better way to go...

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Can't afford transportation you need but don't have, but want to upgrade a computer you have but don't need ........... You should just get a government job :D!

He said that he'll have the money later, but he needs the money sooner than he'll get it. But since you obviously know exactly how much his bonus is going to be and what all of his other expenses are, please continue to tell him how to live his life.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
.....please continue to tell him how to live his life.
I don't remember asking you for any advice. :confused:

If he knew how to live his life he wouldn't be seeking simple life advice from total strangers here. In life, the advice you get from total strangers is generally worth what you pay for it :D.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I don't remember asking you for any advice. :confused:

If he knew how to live his life he wouldn't be seeking simple life advice from total strangers here. In life, the advice you get from total strangers is generally worth what you pay for it :D.

Well yes, it is always better to get advice from people that are close to you rather than complete strangers. I completely agree with you. But it doesn't mean you can't show a little compassion towards someone that obviously knows what they're doing and has a plan to get out of the mess that they're in.

Sorry if I came across as heavy handed there, I'm just trying to put myself in the OP's shoes. And yeah, I probably wouldn't ask MacRumors for advice...

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Well yes, it is always better to get advice from people that are close to you rather than complete strangers.....
Sorry if I came across as heavy handed there, I'm just trying to put myself in the OP's shoes. And yeah, I probably wouldn't ask MacRumors for advice...
No apology needed; I just responded the same way I'd respond to a family member, which is probably harsher that a total stranger deserves :eek:.

....... once I'd said my piece (admittedly harsh) I'd then float them a loan to take care of the transportation problem. :eek:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Maybe I'm out of line here but if you are sifting through the sofa cushions looking for spare change then perhaps a "luxury" item like a mac should be put on hold while you deal with other more important things?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
This is a rather odd post. No one can answer this for you.

Not being mean but not quite sure what you were thinking posting it here.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
No way you'll get $1500 for a 3 yr old MacBook. Maybe if it was signed/owned by Steve Jobs and you had documents proving such.

I would say keep the MacBook and talk to your family to see if they can front you the money for a down payment. Then pay them back when you get your bonus.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm sorry to hear you had an accident. I hope no one was injured.

Well if you have a $500 deductible, it's safe to assume you have collision coverage… so if the car is totaled, wouldn't you get money for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.