Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yukon55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
my little brother had changed the password to my account and now i cant log on i have tried the codes for the single user, but that created a new account and i dont want that :mad::mad::mad::mad: is there any other way to do it.

KCCO!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Kill your brother first.;)

If you have iCloud and you saved it there you can get it out, although I believe that if one is reset it will be reset on iCloud as well, if it wasn't connected it won't but most computers are always connected so you are probably out of luck.
That's a reason to always enable root user, you then can get into there and solve the problem.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
my little brother had changed the password to my account and now i cant log on i have tried the codes for the single user, but that created a new account and i dont want that :mad::mad::mad::mad: is there any other way to do it.

KCCO!

If you have Mountain Lion or Lion, command-r boot to Recovery HD, then launch Terminal from the utilities menu. Now type in resetpassword and select your account then enter a new password.

If you are still on Snow Leopard you can do the same thing by booting from the install DVD.

yukon55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
when i goto change the password it asks me for the old password and i dont know what it is, is there a way around that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 7.13.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 7.13.16 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 73

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
when i goto change the password it asks me for the old password and i dont know what it is, is there a way around that?

You missed a step in my note. You need to shut down the machine then restart and while it is starting hold down the keys command-r (both at the same time). Then once the recovery screen comes up launch Terminal from the Utilities menu and type "resetpassword"

What you did was type reset password from Terminal while you are logged in to your account. Not the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.