Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:39 AM   #1
BoxerBoy
macrumors member

Which Router am I using ?

I am trying to discover which router I am using.

I have a Siemens Modem/Router supplied by my ISP, however some time ago I installed a Time Capsule, and I was under the impression that it's router had made the Siemens router redundant.

How can I tell which router is being used. If I click on Time Capsule in Airport Utility and go to Network, the Router Mode is shown as OFF (Bridge Mode).
BoxerBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:11 AM   #2
kot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerBoy View Post
How can I tell which router is being used. If I click on Time Capsule in Airport Utility and go to Network, the Router Mode is shown as OFF (Bridge Mode).
Siemens then
kot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3
BoxerBoy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
Siemens then
Thank you kot I wondered if it was as simple as that, or if it referred to the Siemens.

My next question is , how do I enable the Time Capsule router, and stop using the Siemens.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:27 AM   #4
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thank you kot I wondered if it was as simple as that, or if it referred to the Siemens.

My next question is , how do I enable the Time Capsule router, and stop using the Siemens.
Depends. Does the main router do things for a ISP phone or anything along that line?

Plus remember if you are replace ANY router just behind the ISP modem first TURN OFF the ISP modem for at least 3 minutes. This will cause the ISP server to look for a new MAC Address of the device connected to the modem.

Lastly in Apple Device in Airport Utility turn on "Bridged Mode" to turn off NAT in the Apple Device when it is behind another router.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:43 AM   #5
kot
macrumors regular

Quote:

How are you connected to the ISP? Physically and logically.

Last edited by kot; Feb 27, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
I am trying to discover which router I am using.

I have a Siemens Modem/Router supplied by my ISP, however some time ago I installed a Time Capsule, and I was under the impression that it's router had made the Siemens router redundant.

You are in effect "using" both in that you are connected to the TC, which is in turn connected to the Siemens device. Although with the TC in bridge mode the traffic is just passed through to the Siemens where DHCP/NAT is being handled.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:10 PM   #7
BoxerBoy
macrumors member

Quote:
How are you connected to the ISP? Physically and logically.
My Siemens Modem/ Router is connected to the telephone socket, and is also connected by Ethernet to my Time Capsule. That's all I can tell you, I do have all the settings, but don't really understand them too well.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:19 PM   #8
kot
macrumors regular

Quote:
My Siemens Modem/ Router is connected to the telephone socket, and is also connected by Ethernet to my Time Capsule. That's all I can tell you, I do have all the settings, but don't really understand them too well.
Then you can't do without your Siemens because of the part highlighted. Seems like your Siemens modem is exactly that -- a DSL modem. It is also called a CSU/DSU device (Channel Service Unit/Data Service Unit). It converts digital signals from your Ethernet home network to digital signals suitable for putting on your telco's local loop, which is the copper phone cable going from your premises to the central office of your service provider. TC cannot connect to telephone sockets and lacks DSL connectivity, that's why you are using a Siemens modem in the first place.

You can put your Siemens into bridge mode and offload all routing to your TC, which to me seems like a right thing to do. Let them do what they do best. Set up the WAN connection on your TC and put your Siemens into transparent bridge mode, so that it does not do any routing and only acts as a dumb Ethernet/DSL converter.

Last edited by kot; Feb 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:07 PM   #9
BoxerBoy
macrumors member

Quote:

You can put your Siemens into bridge mode and offload all routing to your TC, which to me seems like a right thing to do. Let them do what they do best. Set up the WAN connection on your TC and put your Siemens into transparent bridge mode, so that it does not do any routing and only acts as a dumb Ethernet/DSL converter.
Thank you kot, that is the set up I thought I had achieved when I installed the TC.

Obviously not, It's good to know that I can set it up like that, I shall give it a go.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help