Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:53 PM   #251
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.damien View Post
Sad but your justice let them doing so. So it means the US support them.
Curiously enough, the rest of the world doesn't seem convinced that SAMSUNG is copying others; only in the US has APPLE been able to convince twelve jurors that SAMSUNG was indeed infringing. So, I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
the droids will claim that this is the natural evolution of things and it would have happened anyway and Apple did only the obvious thing that everyone else was already thinking about - this goes for the idea, the implementation and the icon - therefore Samsung did not copy because Apple did not do anything but stealing the obvious idea.
Right. (magnificent spin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amacfa View Post
Samsung does this in every product field: TV's, Appliances, Cellphones - and steal business away from American companies. Sad.
They slavishly and shamelessly copy anything and everything they think can make them tons of money.
It seems to be in their DNA.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:17 PM   #252
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Their own API... this could be the beginning of Samsung forking Android. Google is already very concerned about Samsung's dominance as it is, and this may speed up their plans to try and beat down Samsung with their own hardware. If people think Android is fragmented now, they haven't seen anything yet.
Karma*Police is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:37 PM   #253
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma*Police View Post
Their own API... this could be the beginning of Samsung forking Android. Google is already very concerned about Samsung's dominance as it is, and this may speed up their plans to try and beat down Samsung with their own hardware. If people think Android is fragmented now, they haven't seen anything yet.
It does make you wonder how Google would fight back. Would they pull access the Google Play store? Google Maps? What other leverage would they have? Belittling smartphone users?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:49 PM   #254
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
It does make you wonder how Google would fight back. Would they pull access the Google Play store? Google Maps? What other leverage would they have? Belittling smartphone users?
He is making the same sort of mistakes as the former leaders of RIM were making. He needs to stop talking before he screws up his company.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:08 AM   #255
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
I think Google will have a hard time controlling them and Samsung could always fork Android for their own use like Amazon. I really think Samsung wants the full ecosystem model Apple currently has. If Samsung dominates the Android market any more than they already do, Google will be in the position of developing Android just for Samsung.

The next year or two will be interesting.
UnfetteredMind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:27 AM   #256
turtlez
Banned

I am surprised there are so many Apple supporters for this one. Usually Apple is getting bashed when ideas are stolen from them.

Samsung is such a shameful company. I was considering getting one of their TVs (I know they are good) but as an artist I just CANNOT support an art thieving company.
turtlez is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:41 AM   #257
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
LG Prada which was first announced in 2006?
I had that phone. It was nothing like an android phone. Probably the worst phone i ever had to be honest. Miserable touch screen.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC12309 View Post
You people are so funny. I'm pretty sure Google Wallet was first before Passbook. Also better. So shut up about copying. Apple copies just as much.
The only problem is that Google Wallet is not like Passbook. Nice try though.

----------

Quote:
Are you incapable of adult discussion without having to resort to childish wordplay such as "samedung"?
I find it fascinating that most people in UK tend to side Samsung on all matters Apple vs Samsung I guess you were really offended someone called your precious copycat favorite company a "samedung", weren't ya?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:53 AM   #258
carmenodie
macrumors 6502a

Sammy is lead by a bunch of spineless mofos.
And you know why Samsung can pull this **** off?
Because they don't make their own OS and they are copy Apple. Then they sell their **** dirt cheap. Simple, mindless formula that will ******** them up in the long run.

Last edited by dejo; Mar 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Circumventing profanity filter.
carmenodie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:34 AM   #259
Michael CM1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthpope View Post
I wonder if Samsung can get it to work (haha); I have yet to have a successful Passbook experience.
Get a Starbucks gift card. Load it into your Starbucks app. Add your Starbucks card to Passbook. Works as easily as a credit card for me almost daily. Sometimes the location awareness doesn't like to work or doesn't realize I'm next door, but that's the limitations of GPS preciseness to an address.

Otherwise, the only issue I have had is sunlight hitting the phone at the wrong angle when getting scanned in the drive-thru. You just have to tilt it away from the sun.

I have also used the Target coupons, but honestly they're a little hard to discover in the app. I mean there is no "here are the weekly coupons, now add this to Passbook by hitting this one button." But that's the Target devs' fault.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:51 AM   #260
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Curiously enough, the rest of the world doesn't seem convinced that SAMSUNG is copying others; only in the US has APPLE been able to convince twelve jurors that SAMSUNG was indeed infringing. So, I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.
don't you think it would be different in the other countries if it was THEIR national company.

For now, the jurors said samsung was copying, but the triple damade has already been denied because the judge ruled that they didn't do it on purpose.

So apparently, they copied Apple by accident, and the lawsuit is still not finish. Samsung could probably escape it. Apple is still losing mark on front of Samsung which is sad.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:53 AM   #261
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
As well as Samsung Wallet, Visa have just partnered with Samsung and created "PayWave"

Visa believes that such mobile wallet apps will be huge in the coming years, and expects to see nearly two billion NFC devices in active use by 2017.

I do hope there will be similar crys of "Copycat" when Apple add NFC to iphone
Incorrect. Paywave was made by Visa. Not jointly with Samsung.

The article you're referring to was that Visa was working with Samsung to implement Paywave on Samsung devices.

See the difference?

----------

Quote:
The fact that a poster a while back said Samsung copied Apple witht he touch screen. The point was there was other touch screens back then and that was the way the industry was moving.
http://gizmodo.com/261172/settling-t...prada-nonsense

By the way, the LG Prada wasn't multitouch. The way you interact with it was completely different than the iPhone.

From a movie geek standpoint, saying the LG Prada and the iPhone were alike is like saying the Star Trek LCARS consoles were cloned by the consoles in Minority Report. No.
hchung is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:57 AM   #262
GregAndonian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I'm insulted that u guys weren't pissed at apple for selling this as an iOS 6 feature !!!!!!!!

Seriously a feature !!!!!?!?!?!!?!!

Don't get mad at Samsung - get mad at apple !!
I actually thought Passbook seemed like a neat idea that could really come in handy.

Now, Facebook integration and asking Siri to look up sports scores... THAT was a huge yawner...

-Steve Jobs
GregAndonian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:06 AM   #263
Dave.UK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
I had that phone. It was nothing like an android phone. Probably the worst phone i ever had to be honest. Miserable touch screen.

----------

The only problem is that Google Wallet is not like Passbook. Nice try though.

----------

I find it fascinating that most people in UK tend to side Samsung on all matters Apple vs Samsung I guess you were really offended someone called your precious copycat favorite company a "samedung", weren't ya?
Offended? Favourite company? Grow up! No need to get on the defensive.
Dave.UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:56 AM   #264
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Why do I even buy an iPhone anymore? Samsung will copy the iPhone either way so I'll have a iSung soon.

I love iPhone, Samsung really has to stop.
Nevzorus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:31 AM   #265
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
Why do I even buy an iPhone anymore? Samsung will copy the iPhone either way so I'll have a iSung soon.

The last three years it has been the other way around.
robjulo is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:11 AM   #266
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Apple keeps releasing 'features' that don't go anywhere. Newsstand? Who the hell uses that? Maps? Does anyone want that now there's a Google Maps app? Siri? Well, it's okay I guess, but barely more than a gimmick.

5 Passbook apps in the UK - and some of those are for Airlines hardly anyone's likely to use even if they fly frequently. Another is for Starbucks, which is hated in the UK for not paying a penny of corporation tax.
Macist is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:32 AM   #267
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
Apple keeps releasing 'features' that don't go anywhere. Newsstand? Who the hell uses that? Maps? Does anyone want that now there's a Google Maps app? Siri? Well, it's okay I guess, but barely more than a gimmick.

5 Passbook apps in the UK - and some of those are for Airlines hardly anyone's likely to use even if they fly frequently. Another is for Starbucks, which is hated in the UK for not paying a penny of corporation tax.
I would call Newsstand & Maps, Apps and not features. Siri is a feature and a popular one.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:37 AM   #268
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Hoping apple rips the **** out of samsung for this.
I just want samsung to die.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:42 AM   #269
robogobo
macrumors 6502

This is just the Korean business mentality. Samsung copying Apple isn't a new strategy - it's just that we're noticing it more than we used to. Samsung has been doing this for decades. So has LG. So has Hyundai. So has Kia. Daewoo, Hankook, Samick, Hynix, Zemina. They enter markets running with copycat products and low prices and immediately capture a large share of sales. For some reason the courts give them a free pass. It's really a matter of nationalism for them, not so much for others.

Last edited by robogobo; Feb 28, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
robogobo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:07 AM   #270
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
The last three years it has been the other way around.
What has Apple copied from Samsung over the past three years? Curious to see.
UnfetteredMind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:45 PM   #271
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Quote:
All the frustration from people knowing that Samsung will do it better then Apple.

Below are a selection of features first showcased on Android, before shortly being added to ios.

Notification Center
Apple Maps
Facebook intergration
Launching apps from lock screen
Tabbed browsing
etc etc

All manufactures share ideas. Why everyone thinks Apple is whiter then white is beyond me.
Apple Maps? WTF
Facebook Integration?
Launching apps from lock screen? LOL
Tabbed browsing? lolol
etc etc... Right.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:20 PM   #272
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
When Apple pulls out 100% of their manufacturing and materials contract worth over $8 billion, that $12 billion won't be that impressive, especially to shareholders.
Yup.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Hyperbole is hyperbole.

They didn't get sued for billions. Slightly over 1 billion.

And here's an interesting tidbit. They haven't paid a dime to date. And in fact - in every case except in the US - Samsung won.

Many tech companies get sued for billions.

I agree that Samsung's biggest "reward" has been crushing the Android competition. That might actually be Google's and Android's downfall if Samsung converts their users to Tizen or something else.
I repeat:

"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money."
- Everett Dirksen, U.S. Senator (1951-1969)

I doubt Android will ever go away completely, even if Samsung does something drastic like switching all of their handsets / pads to Tizen. Google desperately needs to generate some kind of cash flow from their Motorola division. They'll maintain the official Google Fork if Samsung creates a new de facto standard Samsung Fork of Android. Or they'll keep Android alive if Samsung switches to Tizen.

Sorry. What was your point again?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:44 PM   #273
XtraSmiley
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
This is the interesting part... the part the Samsung copied was Apple decision to include a KeyRing-like app on it's phones (the Key ring is not new, it's the decision to include it with the phone). It's Samsung typical "fast-follower" model, which is frowned upon in North America, but well accepted, acknowledged and even envied in Asia.

As mention above, what will Apple do with it? How will it monetize, bring it to market, and evolve a business model around it. This can take different initial directions... passes, payments, coupons, etc. And also the go to market strategy is part of solution (by creating new relationships, or partnership with existing services like credit card companies).

Samsung, today, can develop it's own direction and model, but hasn't yet (arguably, neither has Apple)... although it seems like by naming it "Wallet" it's taking a mobile payment direction, but still haven't indicated how it bring it to market.

If the past is an indicator, Samsung will take a "fast-follower" approach, and wait for someone (Google/Apple) to lead the way or even wait for someone to *prove* (not just formulate) a successful model first.

Agreed. Samsung seems to be the follower type, not that that in and of itself is a bad thing. Let other companies take the risks and spend the R&D, swoop in and copy at the end. The key is to avoid being sued (buy off judges as needed ) and still make profit.
XtraSmiley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:53 PM   #274
Dave.UK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaShine View Post
Apple Maps? WTF
Facebook Integration?
Launching apps from lock screen? LOL
Tabbed browsing? lolol
etc etc... Right.
That the best reply you could come up with?
Dave.UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:48 PM   #275
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post

dude - look around u - everyone loves samsung phones.

people arent buying iphones because they dont want to look like iSheep.

im embarrassed by my iphone 5.
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion