Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:28 AM   #1
DEG1
macrumors member

Another successful ATT unlock request

Upgraded from 4S to 5 two weeks ago at ATT corporate store (renewed 2 yr contract of course). Been continuous ATT customer for long time (way back in the Cingular days).

Sent unlock email request form yesterday and received approval and unlock instructions today, less than 24 hours after the request.
DEG1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2
dylanursula
macrumors 6502

Unlock for your iPhone 5 or 4s?
dylanursula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
DEG1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanursula View Post
Unlock for your iPhone 5 or 4s?
Should have been clearer - iPhone 5. I sold the 4S.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG1 View Post
Should have been clearer - iPhone 5. I sold the 4S.
Right now they're only doing iPhones not under contact so not the 5 unless u paid full money
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Did you get a phone subsidy when upgrading to your iPhone 5?
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I think you're lying, went to At&t yesterday to unlock iPhone 5. The guy said I was under contract, and that it was therefore IMPOSSIBLE for At&t to do it. He sent me to a third-party store downtown Manhattan to get it done (Jack's Place). The result is impressive: iPhone is unlocked, no scruffs or damage for only $35.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:40 AM   #7
DEG1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Right now they're only doing iPhones not under contact so not the 5 unless u paid full money
Definitely not true. I am under contract (just renewed) and did not pay full price (only paid subsidy price).
DEG1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

I upgraded to the iPhone 5 almost a month ago, have sent two requests for unlock and both have been denied. I called them and asked if they could unlock my phone and they said at this time I can't because I just upgraded. They said in about 11 months. (I'm the primary and apparently you can unlock your phone after 12 months into the contract) I have no proof of this policy but I will see in a year from now.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
DEG1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odfr1end102 View Post
Sorry, but I think you're lying, went to At&t yesterday to unlock iPhone 5. The guy said I was under contract, and that it was therefore IMPOSSIBLE for At&t to do it. He sent me to a third-party store downtown Manhattan to get it done (Jack's Place). The result is impressive: iPhone is unlocked, no scruffs or damage for only $35.
That's pretty rude! Fact is, you were not approved!

Nonetheless, details as I previously stated and below is the notice I received.

Request number: XXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock.

To complete the unlock, simply:

Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.
After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

You may also check the status of your unlock request by clicking the link for AT&T's Device Unlock Status Portal.

For questions regarding AT&T's wireless service and iPhone, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center.

We thank you for your continued business.

Sincerely,
AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.
DEG1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:46 AM   #10
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Definitely not true. I am under contract (just renewed) and did not pay full price (only paid subsidy price).
In that case you managed to slip through the cracks in their policy. You normally need to wait until your contract has ended.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:51 AM   #11
DEG1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
In that case you managed to slip through the cracks in their policy. You normally need to wait until your contract has ended.
I have no idea why they approved my request. Maybe my time with ATT, or my regular int'l roaming and phone call charges when in China.

Just wanted to put it out there that some (for whatever reason) are getting approved while under contract and with subsidy phone pricing.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:55 AM   #12
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odfr1end102 View Post
Jack's is a good place, good service too
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:59 AM   #13
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

I don't know why you guys are wasting your time waiting for AT&T to approve or deny your unlock requests.

Swiftunlocks.com. $2. Done within 24 hours whether you're in contract or not.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:00 AM   #14
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's pretty rude! Fact is, you were not approved!

Nonetheless, details as I previously stated and below is the notice I received.

Request number: XXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock.

To complete the unlock, simply:

Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.
After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

You may also check the status of your unlock request by clicking the link for AT&T's Device Unlock Status Portal.

For questions regarding AT&T's wireless service and iPhone, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center.

We thank you for your continued business.

Sincerely,
AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.
I'm going to reply anyway haha! I apologize if I seemed rude–that truly wasn't my intent. I just pointed out that I was in the same position as you were and that At&t was 100% sure I did NOT have access to this service. Honestly, you were VERY VERY VERY lucky!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
Yup', great quality although I was kind of "meeeh" at first considering it was third-party. But anyways, glad I got that done, now I can go back to France and enjoy French 4G
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:05 AM   #15
DEG1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
I don't know why you guys are wasting your time waiting for AT&T to approve or deny your unlock requests.

Swiftunlocks.com. $2. Done within 24 hours whether you're in contract or not.
You are right. In fact, I bought one yesterday for the expedited price of $3.98. But, after reading about all of the possible risks (legal and punitive from ATT) of unlocking it myself, I chickened out and didn't use it. I then thought "what the heck" try it the official way with a request to ATT, and to my surprise, received approval in less than 24 hours.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:17 AM   #16
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
You are right. In fact, I bought one yesterday for the expedited price of $3.98. But, after reading about all of the possible risks (legal and punitive from ATT) of unlocking it myself, I chickened out and didn't use it. I then thought "what the heck" try it the official way with a request to ATT, and to my surprise, received approval in less than 24 hours.
Congrats. I don't know if policy is changing or you got lucky. I don't see the point of locking the phone to the carrier anyway, if the person terminates their contract, just charge them the ETF, or if their credit isn't great require a deposit large enough to cover the charges.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:20 AM   #17
adam044
macrumors 65816

You got lucky.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:47 AM   #18
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Congrats. I don't know if policy is changing or you got lucky. I don't see the point of locking the phone to the carrier anyway, if the person terminates their contract, just charge them the ETF, or if their credit isn't great require a deposit large enough to cover the charges.
I agree. Phone locking makes no sense. Just make the ETF reflect the subsidy.
bohbot16 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:57 AM   #19
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
$35 for an unlock you can get for $3.00 online? Overpriced these days. There is nothing this place does that is different than the online unlockers. The same method is used, your IMEI gets marked unlocked.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:10 PM   #20
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
$35 for an unlock you can get for $3.00 online? Overpriced these days. There is nothing this place does that is different than the online unlockers. The same method is used, your IMEI gets marked unlocked.
It's NYC, it's probably $5 for the service and $30 in taxes.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:24 PM   #21
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
It's NYC, it's probably $5 for the service and $30 in taxes.
Ha! That's probably true.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Verizon said you gotta pay full
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:03 PM   #23
blairh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Upgraded from 4S to 5 two weeks ago at ATT corporate store (renewed 2 yr contract of course). Been continuous ATT customer for long time (way back in the Cingular days).

Sent unlock email request form yesterday and received approval and unlock instructions today, less than 24 hours after the request.
If this is true, there really is no reason to post this news here. All you are going to do is cause a ton of people to submit iPhone 5 requests for their subsidized device. If I were you I would have kept this to myself and considered myself lucky. Obviously this is not supposed to happen.

I have read of situations where AT&T has unlocked still-on-contract iPhone's if you are a long time customer, don't ever miss your payments, and explain to them that you are going to be using the device for a short period of time abroad. Usually this only works if you call their CS department and if you get lucky.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:07 PM   #24
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
If the OP has a Premier Account, as it sounds like he does, those accounts play by different rules.

Premier Accounts have all these weird rules and exceptions, and it is the 'different set of rules' that Premier accounts have that prevent anyone outside of AT&T from making account changes.

But an account in good standing, does get additional un-disclosed benefits. I can certainly see getting a new iPhone unlocked is not outside of the realm of possibility. Especially considering if the OP ends his plan he will still be hit by an EFT that gets AT&T their subsidy back.

Last edited by Yujenisis; Feb 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Additional details
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:17 PM   #25
DEG1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I have read of situations where AT&T has unlocked still-on-contract iPhone's if you are a long time customer, don't ever miss your payments, and explain to them that you are going to be using the device for a short period of time abroad. Usually this only works if you call their CS department and if you get lucky.
Exactly, and this is why I posted. Approvals obviously can and do happen. You don't think anyone here might have benefitted from confirmation of it? If I had only went by everything I read here about it being impossible to unlock under contract, I'd still have a locked phone and still be paying through the nose on my next trip to China or still not be able to use my iPhone there. What's the downside here to ATT getting a flurry of unlock requests? They evaluate each request per their criteria and some get approved and some don't.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone