Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:49 PM   #26
HiRez
macrumors 601

And predictably, the stock takes a hit when none of the rumors pan out.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:50 PM   #27
chakdey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsadwith View Post
That's because it was a shareholder meeting, not a product release.
By new I meant as in share wise...something that would give the shares a little boost.
chakdey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:50 PM   #28
putongnihongo
macrumors member

As a shareholder I'm more curious about finding out how Apple retains and attracts top talent. It doesn't offer the flashy perks of Google and Facebook that lure in young blood.
putongnihongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:52 PM   #29
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Wow, the potential to have a smart watch with gesture based controls to control a TV would insane. You wouldn't need a remote anymore... your hand would be the remote!
That sounds OK, I think "insane" might be overselling it a bit. Plus, you'd need your watch on all the time, when most people remove it and put it on the table with their keys as soon as they walk in the door. And what about when other people in the house want to control the tv? You still need a remote. Same as with the controller app for iPhone now.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:54 PM   #30
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Spaceship delay

If steve were there, a delay in moving in woulnd't be tolerated!

*(It's a joke guys)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:55 PM   #31
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Well Wall Street and the tech press sure seem to be getting an erection over them as if they were.
Agreed. Talk is cheap though. And I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it does. In short - when someone is actually introduced by Apple (or whoever) - then it's time to get an "erection."

Wall Street and the Tech press love to get excited about all things Apple because they are one of the major players in the space. And are also typically not as transparent as other companies.

And what I meant (more specifically) is that watches and TVs might be new products for Apple - but not civilization. I didn't mean that Apple thinks watches and TVs are "new"
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:55 PM   #32
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Seems to be the pattern de-jour.

I guess we won't see the stock do anything good until the end of the quarter or after the developers meeting????
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:58 PM   #33
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritterson View Post
FWIW, I voted against reelecting him as a director not because I disapprove of his performance but because I believe a CEO should not simultaneously serve as a board member. I always voted against Steve Jobs for the same reason. (At least Tim Cook is not chair of the board)
I agree with that, although Jobs was kind of a special case. Total autonomy usually worked for him (or to put it another way, he wouldn't be able to do the things he did without it).
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:00 PM   #34
Radio
Banned

Lets see - Tim will say TVs are an area of intense interest, Apple TV is a great hobby product, and we are having our best quarter ever .
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:01 PM   #35
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
No causation. Shareholder's annual meetings are always nonevents. Godot will show up faster than important news at a shareholder's meeting.

For example: When Apple declared the dividend last year, it wasn't announced at the shareholder's meeting, but the following month. Public companies hold these meetings because they are required, not because they want to use them to announcing something. Even if it's shareholder-related, they do it on their own schedule.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:11 PM   #36
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

If watches and televisions are not considered new "Categories", I can't imagine what.

And that is what gets me excited. Bring it Apple!

Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:13 PM   #37
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Apple was against this proposal.

Regardless, corporations cannot be trusted with regulating themselves. It would like letting a child loose in a candy store for an hour and expecting the store to look exactly the way you left it.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:17 PM   #38
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
Let the speculation on new categories begin!!
I vote for a new "Professional Film and Video" category.

They could make a Mac for Professionals and call it something like a "Mac Pro."

Imagine the possibilities!
HMI is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:18 PM   #39
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
A defeat of a "Human Rights" committee? What's that say about the way shareholder's view of rights of the people?
It simply says that shareholders are wanting Apple to intensely focus on customers / markets / innovation / execution to yield far better shareholder value. There are plenty of laws and organizations elsewhere to address "human rights" in numerous venues.
Apple Corps is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #40
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

New categories? The professional market?
HelveticaRoman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:25 PM   #41
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why does a company a a human rights committee? What's the point of it?
In case you have not noticed, Apple is not exactly virtuous when it comes to working conditions in the factories of its Asian suppliers, especially when considering that customers are paying good money for Apple products that goes directly into the company's vault, rather than spending a part on the improvement of labour standards and to polish the public image. The recent outcries and Apple's responses indicate that the customers grow weary of the company's policy and that a shift is unavoidable, particularly when you look at Apple's competitors. While it is not clear to me what this human-rights committee would have done, it does have a symbolic meaning now that it has been voted down.

Simply shoving the responsibility of working conditions to foreign governments does not work. There are many factors at play to keep the working conditions as they are, including economic incentives for those countries to keep the big companies there, strong pressure from abroad and even bribes to hamper with any legislative reform. Companies like Apple are at a unique position in that they can often dictate the terms of employment in those countries and improve the overall conditions. While I do not want to argue that the US Government should force companies to maintain certain human-rights standards everywhere, there is a strong desirability that companies should take their responsibility.
KALLT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:28 PM   #42
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
No causation. Shareholder's annual meetings are always nonevents. Godot will show up faster than important news at a shareholder's meeting.
Don't think so. Look at the AAPL chart from today:

The major volatility and lion's share of the drop occurred in a short period of time, directly correlating with the event. People were (wrongly) expecting news (probably at least the rumored stock split) and reacted negatively when it didn't happen.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:28 PM   #43
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Agreed. Talk is cheap though. And I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it does. In short - when someone is actually introduced by Apple (or whoever) - then it's time to get an "erection."

Wall Street and the Tech press love to get excited about all things Apple because they are one of the major players in the space. And are also typically not as transparent as other companies.

And what I meant (more specifically) is that watches and TVs might be new products for Apple - but not civilization. I didn't mean that Apple thinks watches and TVs are "new"
I go back and forth on the secrecy front. Part of me wishes Apple would be a bit more open with what they're working on just because they need some good PR right now. Google's done that with The Verge, letting them have a sneak peak at Glass and letting them do a feature on UI design at the company. Another part of me says screw it, let the products speak for themselves when they're announced. And I think back to last year and how it was a bit of a letdown just because so many things leaked ahead of time and the keynotes had no real surprises.

I still think Apple does need to do something on the PR front. Every day seems to be an onslaught of negativity. Most of it is not based in reality but often times perception can become reality and that's what I think is happening with Apple right now and part of the reason the stock is in the doldrums. But I see no evidence that Cook or Schiller have any plans to counter any of this negativity.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:29 PM   #44
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
No matter how ya slice it - Watches and TVs aren't new categories. Maybe new to Apple. Not to civilization.
And your point is?

Should Apple be working on a "new category" for civilization Sam?

Any ideas what that category should be?

entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:33 PM   #45
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
And your point is?

SETI could benefit from a new array of Mac Pros running.

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:34 PM   #46
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
And your point is?

I never said they should or they shouldn't - did I. The CEO of Apple made a statement that they are working on new categories. I simply stated two categories which are rumored are not new.

Did I say they should be or shouldn't be? Did I even suggest I had a new category for them to enter? No.

Eyeroll all you want. You're "picking" a fight where there is none just because you probably took my original comment personally.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:36 PM   #47
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
In case you have not noticed, Apple is not exactly virtuous when it comes to working conditions in the factories of its Asian suppliers, especially when considering that customers are paying good money for Apple products that goes directly into the company's vault, rather than spending a part on the improvement of labour standards and to polish the public image. The recent outcries and Apple's responses indicate that the customers grow weary of the company's policy and that a shift is unavoidable, particularly when you look at Apple's competitors. While it is not clear to me what this human-rights committee would have done, it does have a symbolic meaning now that it has been voted down.

Simply shoving the responsibility of working conditions to foreign governments does not work. There are many factors at play to keep the working conditions as they are, including economic incentives for those countries to keep the big companies there, strong pressure from abroad and even bribes to hamper with any legislative reform. Companies like Apple are at a unique position in that they can often dictate the terms of employment in those countries and improve the overall conditions. While I do not want to argue that the US Government should force companies to maintain certain human-rights standards everywhere, there is a strong desirability that companies should take their responsibility.
Sorry I don't think Apple needs a human rights committee to do what they're doing on the contractor/supplier front. A meaningless gesture that most likely wouldn't get them good PR anyway. Actions are more important than setting up some silly committee.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:36 PM   #48
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
I never said they should or they shouldn't - did I. The CEO of Apple made a statement that they are working on new categories. I simply stated two categories which are rumored are not new.

Did I say they should be or shouldn't be? Did I even suggest I had a new category for them to enter? No.

Eyeroll all you want. You're "picking" a fight where there is none just because you probably took my original comment personally.
Would you be happier had Tim Cook said new categories for Apple ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:41 PM   #49
mccldwll
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post

"Apple’s board recommends that shareholders vote against a proposal from Mr. John Harrington, a beneficial owner of at least $2,000 in market value of the company’s common stock, to establish a separate Board Committee on Human Rights.

Such a committee would, according to the proposal, “review the implications of company policies, above and beyond matters of legal compliance, for the human rights of individuals in the US and worldwide, including assessing the impacts of company operations and supply chains on resources and public welfare in host communities”.

In recent years, Apple has indeed become embroiled in public controversies regarding the human rights implications of its products and supply chains, including but not limited to controversies related to Foxconn, a supplier of many key items for Apple with facilities located in China and elsewhere.

Apple argues that a separate committee isn’t needed at present, however:

The Company is committed to the highest standards of social responsibility and human rights wherever we do business.

The Board is aware of no other company doing as much to safeguard and empower workers as the Company does today.
The Company’s dedicated Supplier Responsibility team continually audits the Company’s suppliers for compliance with the Company’s industry-leading Supplier Code of Conduct. The Supplier Code of Conduct is based on widely recognized international human rights principles as defined by the United Nations and the International Labor Organization.

The Company’s auditing program has expanded in breadth and depth over the past several years. In January 2012, the Company became the first electronics company to be granted membership in the Fair Labor Association (the “ FLA ”), a leading non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the rights of workers. In February 2012, at the Company’s request, the FLA began a series of independent inspections of the Company’s final assembly suppliers and has published the results on its website for complete transparency.

The Board does not believe that establishing a committee is an effective way for the Company’s practices and goals to continually evolve and improve in response to changing conditions. Instead, such an additional and redundant committee would distract the Board from its other responsibilities to the Company and its shareholders, while adding little value to the Company’s existing commitment to human rights and social responsibility."
mccldwll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:42 PM   #50
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
Hmmm, new category ey? TV maybe?
Or a food processor?
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion