Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:19 PM   #101
lk400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1963nz View Post
Think home automation.

Count how many light switches you have in your home, how many power outlets .

Now think about having a Mac mini with a BIG RAID array with ALL you digital entertainment on it with Apple TVs as well as smart software to run all that home automation.

Software for the iPhone/iPad/Mac, APIs so that manufacturers of appliances like heating, cooking, alarm systems can link in to it all

Yes this available for commercial premises at a HUGE cost, but its a massive opening all around the world.

Just think, get onto your iPhone, check to see if you for got to turn the house alarm on, forgot to put the oven on, forgot to record your favourite TV show, did the kids leave the bedroom lights on.... got a tradesman going to do some work, put in a temp password for him 5 minutes before he arrives and kill it when he leaves...

HUGE world wide opening at the right price and if it all "just works"
Why would Apple limit its market so much to home owners? Renters (which in some countries far outweigh owners) would not be able to use these gadgets. In some countries body corporates would not allow even apartment owners to install automation devices (or at least make it hard to get approval). Cant see apple going for such a niche / limited market.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
it could also be the bod does not want stock manipulators dictating to apple what they should do.
this
lk400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:47 PM   #102
xdhd350
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
The evidence of a connection is nil to nothing, and people who trade on nonevents (or in this case, rumors of nonevents) get what they deserve.
Except for Doug Kass' own tweets. Tweets the stock split rumor on his personal Twitter account. Gets picked up by press, stock jumps. Kass then tweets that the split has little chance of happening and that he sold on the pop.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/...r/?iid=SF_T_LN

One of Cramer's best students of manipulation I'd say.

But there's no real connection. It's all a big game to the hedge fund boys.

Last edited by xdhd350; Feb 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
xdhd350 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:52 PM   #103
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
No matter how ya slice it - Watches and TVs aren't new categories. Maybe new to Apple. Not to civilization.
I know that it's pretty much your (or are you more comfortable with "ya"?) "role" to play the wanna be-controversial, ever questioning guy on here, but still...

Smartphones - Apple changed it
All-in-One-PCs - Apple changed it
Ultrabooks - Apple changed it.

So why rule out Watches and TV? So far the """smart"""watches are a mess - look at that pebble joke. look at the Samsung TV menus.

Don't "ya" mix up "being oh so edgy :-D :-) " with "being stupid". Thanks.

Last edited by dec.; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
dec. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:00 AM   #104
laurim
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiz View Post
1. iTV
2. iWatch
3. iCamera
4. iGlasses
iGame
iHomeSecurity
iProjector

If Apple goes into the TV area, I would like to see Apple go away from the traditional tv form factor and go for a super-sized, extremely thin viewing surface that gets mounted (applied) flush into the wall and the brains is a separate unit that feeds it either through a cable or wirelessly. Kind of like a high res led wall but even thinner. Maybe liquid crystal. Maybe advances in e-paper with more color depth. Go big and different or don't go at all.

Last edited by laurim; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
laurim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:19 AM   #105
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdhd350 View Post
Except for Doug Kass' own tweets. Tweets the stock split rumor on his personal Twitter account. Gets picked up by press, stock jumps. Kass then tweets that the split has little chance of happening and that he sold on the pop.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/...r/?iid=SF_T_LN

One of Cramer's best students of manipulation I'd say.

But there's no real connection. It's all a big game to the hedge fund boys.
If you say so.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:02 AM   #106
simonmet
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
I hope there is some investigation into the analyst that pumped the stock with his split rumor. I'll bet he made a bunch of money off the bump that happened after he said that.
If investors jump on completely baseless and unsubstantiated rumours I say they've got no one to blame but themselves. Maybe even good on him for even trying. I don't think it's suggested he had or revealed any inside information.

I doubt many people (and crrtainly not anyone with credibility) would have jumped on such a ridiculous rumour, and a $6-$8 shift is evidence of that. It's well within the range of normal daily movements.

It's not like mum and dad investors are affected by this sort of thing, just the players and I have no particular concern for them.
simonmet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:43 AM   #107
lwapps
macrumors regular

The fall in share price has big implications for businesses which rely in Apple's products. The knock in confidence makes me wonder whether Apple is a wise platform to invest in.
lwapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:49 AM   #108
JohnnyComeLatly
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurim View Post
iGame
iHomeSecurity
iProjector

If Apple goes into the TV area, I would like to see Apple go away from the traditional tv form factor and go for a super-sized, extremely thin viewing surface that gets mounted (applied) flush into the wall and the brains is a separate unit that feeds it either through a cable or wirelessly. Kind of like a high res led wall but even thinner. Maybe liquid crystal. Maybe admances in e-paper with more color depth. Go big and different or don't go at all.
HA! Imagine that! On a forum coming up with ideas rather than nitpicking or slamming others!

On the one hand I would agree, however with the recent advances on the iMac, they almost wouldn't need to. If they are able to assemble a full on CPU and monitor as slim as they do with the new iMac, imagine their similarly designed TV at 42"+ in screen diameter. They could make the display practically the same thickness as a sans-CPU model.

I'm a bit on the less-than-imaginative side as I would think it would just be an insanely, finely engineered TV with ATV built in. Of course, it's WiFi ready and has similar features such as a Thunderbolt and USB3 ports. Other than that... not sure what else I'd need.

Then again, I used to say, "Who in their right mind wants to surf the internet on a tiny screen," before the iPhone came out, because I was used to 2G-style surfing with mobile markup languages (WAP? I think was the last).

The main thing I'd like to see is a built in ability to work with a NAS running DLNA compliant media server. I'm putting all my music and movies on NAS drives at home and then streaming to the Wii, XBOX, iPad, etc.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:27 AM   #109
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
That's really for the country in which the workers are employed's job. Apple aren't the UN.

The most they can really do is put a bit of pressure on Foxconn.
Well with stuff like Bradley Manning spending 1000 days in jail without trial for doing right and respecting his nation, and most of the US public turning a blind eye to it, I can totally see why a motion for a human rights committee was defeated.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:57 AM   #110
ri0ku
macrumors 6502a

The watch won't be called iWatch. I think maybe iBand. You heard it here first!.
ri0ku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:32 AM   #111
JohnnyComeLatly
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Well with stuff like Bradley Manning spending 1000 days in jail without trial for doing right and respecting his nation, and most of the US public turning a blind eye to it, I can totally see why a motion for a human rights committee was defeated.
Just out of curiosity, since you're condemning the actions of a few million partial-owners (stock holders), did you read the investor's notification of the vote? If so, share some of the key tenants in the provision that was voted for and how current management oversight does or does not already do these functions. Use case examples where current management structure fell short and how this committee might not fall into the same scenarios of inaction or inability.

Take your time because you should never be in a rush to do the right thing the first time.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:04 AM   #112
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post

Wanna know one sure-fire way for Apple to pi$$ off Google into a frenzy?

Apple intentionally leaks that they also have a team of engineers working on virtual goggles (just like Google Glass).
What makes you think that Apple isn't already working on something similar? And what makes you think Google would care? Forum posters here and on Google related sites would care a whole bunch I'm sure - but those that are in the tech field pretty much take it as fact that they aren't "alone" in coming up with a solution. After that - it's more a question of timing, price, marketing and value.
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:44 AM   #113
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No matter how ya slice it - Watches and TVs aren't new categories. Maybe new to Apple. Not to civilization.
Neither were smart phones or tablets but Apple still made a shed load of cash from selling their version of them.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:58 AM   #114
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLatly View Post
Take your time because you should never be in a rush to do the right thing the first time.
I actually agree with most of what you said. You need to assess what the right thing is and then do it. And yes people get it wrong before they get it right often.

But don't be in a rush to do the right thing the first time? What the? I think I get what you mean there. But it's so not how I'd word it. I'd rather say:
"Think hard before you make any decision or action so you have a better chance of doing it right"

People don't intentionally do things wrong the first time so they have mistakes to learn from. They try to do it right and fail. So I agree with what you mean there but don't agree with how you said it.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:00 AM   #115
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Neither were smart phones or tablets but Apple still made a shed load of cash from selling their version of them.
Who's arguing that?

I really don't see why some people are so "angered" or feel the need to respond to my post as if I was stabbing Tim Cook in the back at the podium of the shareholder's meeting.

Incredible how defensive some people are to what I'd consider a pretty innocuous comment.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:11 AM   #116
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Smart Phones weren't new categories when the iPhone was introduced. Look where that got them....
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:04 AM   #117
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Smart Phones weren't new categories when the iPhone was introduced. Look where that got them....
Again - I never argued this point. Are people intentionally being obtuse or trying to imply I said something I didn't?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:01 AM   #118
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmet View Post
If investors jump on completely baseless and unsubstantiated rumours I say they've got no one to blame but themselves. Maybe even good on him for even trying. I don't think it's suggested he had or revealed any inside information.

I doubt many people (and crrtainly not anyone with credibility) would have jumped on such a ridiculous rumour, and a $6-$8 shift is evidence of that. It's well within the range of normal daily movements.

It's not like mum and dad investors are affected by this sort of thing, just the players and I have no particular concern for them.
Not just baseless and unsubstantiated, but of no material value to investors even if true. Spreading such a weak rumor certainly isn't a very impressive "manipulation" scheme. Of real material value was Tim Cook's comments yesterday about dividends. It is now widely expected that the board will decide to increase the dividend, perhaps within weeks. And the stock failed to rise on that news? Must be on account of some counter-cabal that we have yet to hear about -- but no doubt we will.

Many are convinced that daily movements of stock prices can always be explained. More often than not, they can't be explained. Anyone who can't accept that basic perversity of the markets probably shouldn't be in the markets.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:28 PM   #119
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Who's arguing that?

I really don't see why some people are so "angered" or feel the need to respond to my post as if I was stabbing Tim Cook in the back at the podium of the shareholder's meeting.

Incredible how defensive some people are to what I'd consider a pretty innocuous comment.
Not angered or aggrieved in any way, just stating the facts. You made your comment and I made made mine.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:12 AM   #120
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
were smartphones or tablets new categories?
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:17 AM   #121
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
were smartphones or tablets new categories?
what's your point? And have you read the thread? Apparently not. Because this has already been discussed.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:06 AM   #122
JohnnyComeLatly
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I actually agree with most of what you said. You need to assess what the right thing is and then do it. And yes people get it wrong before they get it right often.

But don't be in a rush to do the right thing the first time? What the? I think I get what you mean there. But it's so not how I'd word it. I'd rather say:
"Think hard before you make any decision or action so you have a better chance of doing it right"

People don't intentionally do things wrong the first time so they have mistakes to learn from. They try to do it right and fail. So I agree with what you mean there but don't agree with how you said it.
You caught my intentional play on words. It was meant to be ironic (rushed and wrong). Moreover, I was really trying to provoke thought. I think Apple is one of the most forward thinking companies out there when it comes to "doing the right thing." When most would have just dismissed criticism about their standards overseas (like Nike with child labor), what did they do? Found the most stringent set of standards out there, despite the fact it really had never been applied to their industry, and joined the group. They have since put their money where their mouth is (was) by dropping suppliers who didn't follow or attempt compliance.

We can get all wrapped up in the weeds on the specifics of what I've stated above, however the overall factors are still in play: The company made a decision to improve world standards of production within their own realm of influence (their suppliers). This was also publicly announced. These two facts would support the assertion that the company discussed it, and supported it. When I say company, I'm implying Board of Directors, who felt the shareholder support would be there. SHareholders vote on the BoD, so they tend to not try and intentionally, or avoidably alienate them. So....

This leads to a thesis that Apple shareholders support measures that make them good shepherds of their resources in the world community. If you abuse your labor, there will be consequences.

I've applied a fallacy of logic, but I still believe my conclusion stands. I was pointing this out in light of the original comment that US stockholders didn't care about human rights. I would say if any company LEAST epitomizes indifference to human rights (from the electionics sector at least), it would be Apple. They're no Ben and Jerry's, but they aren't even on the same side of the ballpark as Nike. Tangent dig: Nike destroys communities AND your feet.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 01:01 PM   #123
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
what's your point? And have you read the thread? Apparently not. Because this has already been discussed.
My point is that smartphones and tablets were there before apple reinvented them. They could do the same with other categories. Apple never really invented any categories, they just made them better. Try to get it.
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 01:06 PM   #124
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
My point is that smartphones and tablets were there before apple reinvented them. They could do the same with other categories. Apple never really invented any categories, they just made them better. Try to get it.
Never said they didn't reinvent or build on other categories. Apparently reading comprehension is over-rated on this forum. Have a great weekend.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:25 AM   #125
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Never said they didn't reinvent or build on other categories. Apparently reading comprehension is over-rated on this forum. Have a great weekend.
Okay Mr.I'm-so-good-at-reading-comprehension, please tell me what was the point of your original post

"No matter how ya slice it - Watches and TVs aren't new categories. Maybe new to Apple. Not to civilization."

Then maybe we can discuss this thing without me sounding so misinformed.
szw-mapple fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion