Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Thought this may be interesting as I assume many here are fairly well traveled.

I just got my passport a year ago and have currently 5 stamps

I have been to, since last May/June:
1) US (home) (have one entrance stamp)
2) Austria (no stamp for here though)
3) Germany (two stamps, one exit and one entry)
4) Bahamas (one entry stamp)
5) Argentina (one entry stamp....currently here at the moment)

What about you? Any have a ton of stamps?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
So far all the countries I have been to don't stamp. I am guessing from your post that they still do this.

Mexico and Canada for me :(. Coming back into the states no stamp.

I know in many small airports you can just ask to have your passport stamped (maybe you ask for it in all airports, I don't know)

I have two passports (dual citizenship), so that when I don't find one (usually the night before my flight) I use the other one, so my stamps are split between them. I have like 15, at the moment. If you count expired passports (or found after being reported lost and renewed) 30 or so.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Moreorless showing the timeline as to how I got 5 stamps...

I wish within Europe, one could get stamps for each country

I see... you could've just made a "What countries have you been to" thread instead then... seems odd to be specific in your topic then disregard it in your post.

Anyway... as to stamps I have

1) England - Doesn't say England but that's where it's from.
2) Reentry to US
3) Hungary - Doesn't say either but it'd be in the time frame I was there.
4) Reentry to US
5) Germany

That's it. I guess I didn't get a reentry stamp to the US or Germany bought the US while I was out. I've been to some other countries but didn't get stamped. It expired in 2011 and I didn't get it renewed since I have no plans to leave.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I know in many small airports you can just ask to have your passport stamped (maybe you ask for it in all airports, I don't know)

I have two passports (dual citizenship), so that when I don't find one (usually the night before my flight) I use the other one, so my stamps are split between them. I have like 15, at the moment. If you count expired passports (or found after being reported lost and renewed) 30 or so.

I actually never thought to ask, this is a good idea! Just might try that what is the worst they can say, no or we don't do that anymore!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I've just got a new passport, my old one contained the only stamp I've ever got. It was from Canada, seven years ago last weekend.

As mentioned, you don't usually get stamps travelling within the EU these days otherwise I'd have picked up a few more.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Uh 2, I think.

And that's from:

US to Italy
Italy to Poland
Poland to Czech Republic
Czech Republic to Hungary
Hungary to Slovakia
Slovakia to Italy
Italy to Switzerland
Switzerland to Italy
Italy to England
England to Italy
Italy to US

I only got stamps going into the UK and into the US (returning) if I remember correctly. I didn't even get a stamp on my first entry into Italy - they were too lazy to stamp everyone's passport from our flight. They just checked for my visa and that was it really.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
2 entries to England at London-Heathrow Airport
1 entry to Germany at Berlin-Tegel Airport
1 exit of Germany at Frankfurt Airport
1 entry to France at St. Pancras
1 exit of France at Gare du Nord
1 entry to England at Gare du Nord
1 entry to the US at Chicago O'Hare

Drove to Canada but didn't get a stamp at the border, and never got a stamp re-entering the US except that one time.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
you don't get your passport stamped traveling within the EU. They stamp at point of entry that that's it.

My passport only gets stamped when I enter and leave the EU even though I'm not an EU citizen.

thebiggm

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Home Counties, UK
you don't get your passport stamped traveling within the EU. They stamp at point of entry that that's it.

My passport only gets stamped when I enter and leave the EU even though I'm not an EU citizen.

That's true for the Schengen Area - not all Schengen members are in the EU (Norway, Switzerland) and not all EU members are in the Schengen Area (UK, Ireland). ;)

You won't get a EU member country's stamp in an EU passport - having a stamp implies you need permission to enter, part of being an EU member is that there is free movement between member countries. An US analogy is that you don't get a stamp in your passport every time you cross a state line! :)

Saying that, I tend to get through a passport every 2-3 years with stamps - best place for collecting them is between Saudi and Bahrain - can be a three out wait on a Thursday! :eek:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
That's true for the Schengen Area - not all Schengen members are in the EU (Norway, Switzerland) and not all EU members are in the Schengen Area (UK, Ireland). ;)

You won't get a EU member country's stamp in an EU passport - having a stamp implies you need permission to enter, part of being an EU member is that there is free movement between member countries. An US analogy is that you don't get a stamp in your passport every time you cross a state line! :)

Saying that, I tend to get through a passport every 2-3 years with stamps - best place for collecting them is between Saudi and Bahrain - can be a three out wait on a Thursday! :eek:

I have yet to be stamped in any EU country to include the UK and Switzerland. The only time I get stamped is when we vacation (Turkey, Egypt, Dubai etc.)

I did not imply that they would, only that I am a foreigner living in the EU.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I hate it when US stamps US passports coming in....I think its the only country where its common....I ask they don't....I need my space!

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
israel 17
mexico 1
re entry to the USA home- Numerous times
Turkey- stop over on the way to israel... does that count?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
In my current passport I have
Entry and Exit from Guyana
Two stamps from reentering the US
Two sets of entry and exit stamps from Israel
Jordan Entry, the exit stamp was put on a separate piece of paper when we went back to Israel
Ukrainian Visa plus 3 sets of entry and exit stamps
A Canadian study permit stapled in plus 3 Canadian stamps on the passport and a few more on the study permit
Entry stamp from Nicaragua, they didn't stamp on exit
Also Turkey entry and exit

I'll be getting a few more stamps this summer as well...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
To answer the actual question posed by the OP, there are over 40 stamps (and counting, and rising) in my passport.

The vast majority of the 'interesting' stamps are from countries that used to be in the USSR, and, as I worked in the Caucasus region for over two years, there are multiple stamps from a few countries in particular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.