Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

HDCP Errors - Should I just give up?

About 3 months ago I started having problems with my Apple TV. HDCP playback errors when viewing Netflix.

I have restored it twice. Installed all updates. Nothing fixes it but recently the problem is more consistent. After about 3 mins of viewing anything it pauses then gives me the error. If I yank out the power cable then plug it back in and reboot the ATV , then restart what I was watching it goes away for a few hours.

I have tried any suggestions I found on the Apple forums. Nothing fixes it.

Is there anything else I can try? I would even be willing to get a new TV/cable if I was 100% sure it would solve the issue.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
About 3 months ago I started having problems with my Apple TV. HDCP playback errors when viewing Netflix.

I have restored it twice. Installed all updates. Nothing fixes it but recently the problem is more consistent. After about 3 mins of viewing anything it pauses then gives me the error. If I yank out the power cable then plug it back in and reboot the ATV , then restart what I was watching it goes away for a few hours.

I have tried any suggestions I found on the Apple forums. Nothing fixes it.

Is there anything else I can try? I would even be willing to get a new TV/cable if I was 100% sure it would solve the issue.

Thanks.
Can't you borrow someone's HDMI cable? Or, buy a cheap one somewhere and try it. If it works problem solved. If it doesn't work, return it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
grodgers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Can't you borrow someone's HDMI cable? Or, buy a cheap one somewhere and try it. If it works problem solved. If it doesn't work, return it.
+1 - HDMI Cable. No, you don't need (or want) a Monster cable either.
grodgers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

Ill try a different cable. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

Looking around I see that all HDMI cables are HDCP capable and other than the very remote possibility that the HDMI cable is bad , a different cable will not solve the issue. I will try it , but I dont have my hopes up.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
Looking around I see that all HDMI cables are HDCP capable and other than the very remote possibility that the HDMI cable is bad , a different cable will not solve the issue. I will try it , but I dont have my hopes up.
I think that is exactly what we are hoping...a bad cable.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater