Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
In my opinion apple has gone bland, in the ambition of making items that work well it has fallen behind stuff that is cool and many things the last 3 years have faltered. Podcast app, maps, antenna, passport, lack of api access, lack of cool features are just one of many things. I accepted the walled garden and i hated android but after using the newer devices i admit Samsung and Google did it first and did it better. Unless Apple makes a drastic change in ios 7 this will be my last ios device. Android did suck but they at least worked hard to catch up and even tho the apps are a bit behind, the features are not. Apple has been too slow and too conservative. I want the apple which went from os 9 to os 10 not the one which went from os 7 to os 8

Anyone feel the same way as me?

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I think they could make some "tweaks" here and there, but they aren't going to totally redesign the iPhone.

I mean, why should they?

It's a phone. What else does it really, really need to do that it doesn't already?

iOS 6.1.2 might be "bland" in some people's eyes, but it still works great. Not buggy at all (on my end), etc.

Again, make some tweaks, but I don't think anything drastic needs to be done.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
A little bit, but I'm a little more hopeful that they will step up their game. With that being said, I may switch to an Android phone in the future. I may not. I'm not beholden to any one operating system.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009

People who do feel like me

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few

And its not the device or hardware the biggest con for me is the ios which has gone stale

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Having come from a Galaxy Nexus, which is arguably the most customizable LTE-enabled Android device, and being an Android user since the Original Droid, I can tell you that Android is cool, has made some great leaps in the last year or so, and is probably better than Apple in the hardware department (screen size, resolutions, etc.).

But in the actual usability department, Apple wins hands down. I'm so happy to still be able to customize it with jailbreaking, and not have it reboot itself every time it feels like it. I like using the GPS without it telling me I'm 10 miles from where I actually am. And the apps are vastly superior.

I really, really like Android. But I love Apple.

kiss%20apples.jpg

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few

And its not the device or hardware the biggest con for me is the ios which has gone stale

You know, you are welcome to spend your money on other items as well. Its your prerogative. Why would anyone else care what you spend your money on?

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Having come from a Galaxy Nexus, which is arguably the most customizable LTE-enabled Android device, and being an Android user since the Original Droid, I can tell you that Android is cool, has made some great leaps in the last year or so, and is probably better than Apple in the hardware department (screen size, resolutions, etc.).

But in the actual usability department, Apple wins hands down. I'm so happy to still be able to customize it with jailbreaking, and not have it reboot itself every time it feels like it. I like using the GPS without it telling me I'm 10 miles from where I actually am. And the apps are vastly superior.

I really, really like Android. But I love Apple.

DEM APPLES
aaaaaaawwwwhwhhh ^.^

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few

You and all of those folks are free to spend your pennies however you like. The fact that you can't tinker with iPhones as much as you can with Android based phones is always going to be a sticking point for the nerdliest among us. Iterative updates never work for those types.....they always want the really cool new features.

As for me....iPhone works just fine. Syncs with my Mac and iPad great, works with my AppleTVs, easily lets me pull down purchases I've made from the iTunes Store. I have a hard time finding a compelling reason to make a jump to Android other than the "shiny new thing" factor.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I'm with the others who say this: If you don't like something, you're free to spend your money on something else. No one is holding you back except yourself. Also, Apple isn't gonna change something just because people want them to do it or because everyone is doing it.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
For every "I'm gonna leave if they don't make it super duper innovative (even though I have no idea what I mean by saying that)", there will be 10 (or more) people who appreciate them NOT reinventing the wheel on what is currently the most appealing phone on the market.

It appeals to (nearly) EVERYONE. Apple wants to KEEP as many users as it can, while adding as many as they can. They run a very real risk of turning just as many people OFF with a radical change as they do of satisfying people who are almost never satisfied anyway.

Don't like it? Buy that mostly plastic Android and be happy. It's really ok.

I'll stick with the incrementally IMPROVED iPhone (6, 7, 8...), and continue to use a product that lets me keep all my old software and keep a lot of the same peripherals. My resale value will be great, and I will be able to USE everything as fast as I can open the box... with minimal learning curve even on the "new" stuff.

All thanks to Apple NOT making radical changes. Yippie!

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
For every "I'm gonna leave if they don't make it super duper innovative (even though I have no idea what I mean by saying that)", there will be 10 (or more) people who appreciate them NOT reinventing the wheel on what is currently the most appealing phone on the market.

It appeals to (nearly) EVERYONE. Apple wants to KEEP as many users as it can, while adding as many as they can. They run a very real risk of turning just as many people OFF with a radical change as they do of satisfying people who are almost never satisfied anyway.

Don't like it? Buy that mostly plastic Android and be happy. It's really ok.

I'll stick with the incrementally IMPROVED iPhone (6, 7, 8...), and continue to use a product that lets me keep all my old software and keep a lot of the same peripherals. My resale value will be great, and I will be able to USE everything as fast as I can open the box... with minimal learning curve even on the "new" stuff.

All thanks to Apple NOT making radical changes. Yippie!

You know, it really is surprising how well Apple products keep their value as opposed to Android devices. This is also true in the case of Macs vs. PC.

Interesting.

iAsimov76

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few

You answered your own question! There ARE people who feel the same as you do. Now for my own question. So?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
You know, it really is surprising how well Apple products keep their value as opposed to Android devices. This is also true in the case of Macs vs. PC.

Interesting.

There's a gluttony of Android and PC vendors out there, which saturates the market.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
In my opinion apple has gone bland, in the ambition of making items that work well it has fallen behind stuff that is cool and many things the last 3 years have faltered. Podcast app, maps, antenna, passport, lack of api access, lack of cool features are just one of many things. I accepted the walled garden and i hated android but after using the newer devices i admit Samsung and Google did it first and did it better. Unless Apple makes a drastic change in ios 7 this will be my last ios device. Android did suck but they at least worked hard to catch up and even tho the apps are a bit behind, the features are not. Apple has been too slow and too conservative. I want the apple which went from os 9 to os 10 not the one which went from os 7 to os 8

Anyone feel the same way as me?

They sell more phones and that's all that matters to apple.

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few

Links to quotes of said people expressing those views?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I don't blame you

No this won't be my last device, probably there is an iPhone in my future, but I can't blame you for feeling this way.

Anyone else who doesn't think that Android is catching up is living in denial. The fact that the Galaxy S3 dethroned Apple iPhone 4S is no coincident. I am not saying by any maens that the S3 is a better phone, of course not, but to think the competition are 'far behind in the rear view mirror' as Apple were boasting just this past October is denial.

Apple needs to step up its game, impress us like they did in 2007 and 2010. I find it hillarious when Apple fans say 'what else should the phone do?', well, Nokia thought the same back in 2006 and look what happened to them.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
putting too much thought, worry into a phone. Plenty of other choices available for the consumer is a good thing. I don't look to my phone for excitement. I need it to work every time. No need for fancy widgets or moving homescreens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.