Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:03 PM   #51
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

So it went from unlimited to limited 40 hours a month for free mobile users? I don't use the service really, so it may be a stupid question

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:05 PM   #52
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

I've been playing for Pandora one for a few years now so it's of no concern to me. The new pricing seems fair though.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:30 PM   #53
randomguyishere
macrumors regular

Spotify, here I come.
randomguyishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:40 PM   #54
Fant
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
Agreed! I have vehemently tried to get my wife to dump Sirius XM. Terrible sound quality from their app, terrible channel selection, poor pricing and even worse customer service.
Thank You! I thought i was the only one that thought most of sirius xm's stations sound compressed. Even free pandora sounds so much clearer.
Fant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:44 PM   #55
jamesnajera
macrumors 6502

Songza
jamesnajera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:48 PM   #56
malman89
macrumors 65816

Pandora history:

Day 1: 40 hours free music
Few months later circa 2009-10
40 hours free music OR pay $0.99/month for unlimited!

Spotify is launched
Unlimited for all! No ads if you pay!

Present day
40 hours free music OR pay $0.99/month for unlimited!

Circle of life.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:50 PM   #57
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
LOSE, not LOOSE

ma ma ma ma ma mad mad mad (x3)
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:03 PM   #58
pilgrim2812
macrumors newbie

The RIAA is a corrupt cartel

Cartels in the US are illegal, but the RIAA has paid enough politicians off to continue to operate as a cartel. Companies either pay their price or they shut them down.
pilgrim2812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:23 PM   #59
marsmissions
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
"The change was made in response to a rise in the royalty rates that the company must pay to record companies."
"Desktop users can continue to listen to unlimited music."

Someone explain to me why the rise in royalty rates only apply to mobile users and not to desktop users....
The majority of listeners are mobile listeners, not desktop listeners.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:24 PM   #60
guzmanedgar269
macrumors newbie

pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohno View Post
so im paying for something and i can't listen to it unlimited... Looks like i'm not going to reup my payment.
pandora has been getting to much crashes they need to make an update to their customers because i have pandora and i'm paying but i think the problem of unlimited is not working very well
guzmanedgar269 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:32 PM   #61
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
Blame this on politics.

Regular, terrestrial radio (like what you listen to in your car) pays NOTHING for royalties to play the music you hear.

But for some asinine reason, Internet radio is required to pay substantial royalty fees that's why Pandora is the most successful out of all of 'em, because no one else could afford it. When Pandora lobbied to Congress to try and get the same opportunities as terrestrial radio, their efforts were torn apart. Lawmakers actually suggested increasing the amount Pandora has to pay.

Absolutely ridiculous.
It would be ridiculous...if true. Terrestrial radio absolutely DOES pay royalties through both ASCAP and BMI. In fact, per rotation, significantly higher fees than ANY of these mobile streaming sites/projects.

I've programmed a rock station now for 17 years. We pay royalties for both terrestrial broadcast and our stream. Rates are figured by revenue of each station playing the music. Since revenue in terrestrial far exceeds commercial revenue stream monies...the fees are higher (a LOT) for the regular AM/FM broadcast you're hearing

The 'political' BS linked was due to radio stations already paying ASCAP and BMI for the 'rights' to air the content on terrestrial while still having to pay an additional fee for our individual streams (as it can be a different audience). The return on investment isn't there yet as far as selling the 'streaming' commercials in comparison to selling local 30s and 60s on the terrestrial side

Hope that makes sense. Anyone that plays for profit SHOULD be paying royalties. Including mobile DJs, bars with juke boxes, etc. Most don't, obviously.
akdj is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:35 PM   #62
Gandalf.Fix
macrumors newbie

Spotify Radio doesn't cut it

Whilst I use spotify to listen to albums and such the radio isn't clever enough for me. Pandora's offering is a lot more consistent. I hope apple's service is as good. They already have all the genius data, that's a little better than a social algorithm...
Gandalf.Fix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:49 PM   #63
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
me either, i don't use any of that stuff.

And you think that Spotify is going to remain free?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:54 PM   #64
designgeek
macrumors 65816

I've had Pandora One for a few years now and I really like it. No ads, unlimited listening apparently, and higher skip counts. I think it's a win, besides I'd like to support them in their struggle with the record companies.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:02 PM   #65
AppleFanBoy1
Banned

@Spectrum Abuser,

What is wrong with you. The guy was just saying something.
AppleFanBoy1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:13 PM   #66
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Been using Pandora One for awhile. Loving it!
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:15 PM   #67
jashic
macrumors member

Spotify will eventually fall and start charging too. It's only a matter of time. IF freeloading at other ppl's expense is what you're into, you'll soon start running out of options when it comes to radio.
jashic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:15 PM   #68
hjernazian
macrumors newbie

most users WON'T be affected? Uhm, I rely on Pandora on my commute to and from work, along with multiple drives during the day. 40 hours a month comes to just a little over an hour a day. I can assure you I use it more than that. I don't blame Pandora, but greedy music executives that are trying to kill it. Ridiculous!
hjernazian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:22 AM   #69
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
Won't affect me, because I moved over to Spotify.
Spotify's free mobile radio is much, much better than Pandora.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:24 AM   #70
DrNeroCF
macrumors 6502

People listen to Pandora, find music they enjoy, and buy that music.

Why do record companies keep trying to destroy Pandora???
DrNeroCF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:52 AM   #71
chairguru22
macrumors 6502a

Going the way of Netflix...

Prices are going up for them. Why do you think the competition is better and cheaper? They want to steal business away from Pandora. When Google and Apple are #1, they'll start charging more as well. Those companies however can fund cheaper music with other sources though.
chairguru22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:23 AM   #72
alchemistmuffin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
Loose the caps!

That pisses me off when people do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chill dude.

Could be by IP address. If that doesn't change then...
Both of you, shut up, you're not contributing to the thread in kind manner. If you want to act childish, then leave the forum. Now. (and don't come back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
More likely it'll be part of iTunes Match. "Stream all the songs you already own -- and now any song in the iTunes catalog."
That was what I was thinking of. If streaming the entire iTunes library was available (heck, it even comes with certain number of songs you can download and permanently keep in your iTunes in the Cloud library even if you end the subscription), then the $29.99 per year becomes useful for iTunes match.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:27 AM   #73
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

40hrs per month is way too less. I'm a 3d artist and in my studio almost all of them listen to music the whole, the day which sometime spans from 12-16hrs. On an average we listen to 5-7 hrs, best guess.

anyway, its not in India, i subscribed to itunes match and i stream almost whole day with my 3GB/PM plan !
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:39 AM   #74
stevensr123
macrumors 6502

Just a quick question, is groove shark illegal to use? I ask because this is the site I use and it has basically every song I could ever want to listen to...and it's free.
stevensr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:46 AM   #75
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
most users WON'T be affected? Uhm, I rely on Pandora on my commute to and from work, along with multiple drives during the day. 40 hours a month comes to just a little over an hour a day. I can assure you I use it more than that. I don't blame Pandora, but greedy music executives that are trying to kill it. Ridiculous!
So you demand free and unlimited consumption of something and call other people greedy all in the same paragraph.

The music industry has seen its first tentative growth in 14 years. That's not exactly rampant profiteering is it?

Try paying the 99 cents and see if you can still hold your lifestyle together.
mw360 is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion