Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1
pyjr2007
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini and iTunes

I'm thinking of purchasing a Mac Mini for an iTunes music server. My library is over 1TB, and I make many many changes to the library- new files, moving files to different folders, changes to genre, etc.

I have two libraries- one on a PC desktop and an external copy used for my PC laptop connected to a DAC. To update my PC laptop, I delete the references in iTunes and drag the music library to the laptop. This takes a long time over USB. Is there an easier/quicker way to do this? If I purchase a Mini it will be used headless. I manually manage the library.

Since I will be running the Mini headless, could I remote to the Mini using Windows 7 to keep my iTunes organized and updated?

I prefer not to play files over a wireless network, and I do not have ethernet connection in my listening room.

Suggestions? Is a Mac Mini a good idea for this?
pyjr2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:19 AM   #2
foofan
macrumors 6502a

I use apple's itunes match service. All my music is stored on one machine and then apple matches all my music and uploads what it can't. I then can access all my music anywhere on any device as long as it has a internet connection. So in my home all music is stored on an old iMac. the family also has a mac mini and a macbook air. I also carry around an ipod touch. All devices can access the music.

let apple be the server and get rid of windows

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/
foofan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
pyjr2007
macrumors newbie

Hello foofan,

Thank you for the reply. Match seems like a good service, but it is limited to 25,000 tracks, and I am way over the limit which seems to be another limiter. I can drag and drop my library to the Mini after updates are made to my main database, but I was wondering if there was a more automated method. For instance, would iTunes auto update by connecting external drive? Is there a feature in the Mini to allow this?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
mjcharlton71
macrumors member

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to mirror my local iTunes store to my NAS, which I think is pretty much what you're wanting to do....

Script to kill iTunes before running the backup, then mirror any changes to the NAS at 0342hrs every morning. Works a treat so far.
Nexus 5 16GB
mjcharlton71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
pyjr2007
macrumors newbie

Thank you mj. That seems like a good idea. Does it also auto-update the library in itunes for new files, name changes, location changes, etc? Using a Mini?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini