Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:58 AM   #1
nickoras
macrumors newbie

2013 iMac: Should I get it?

Hi, I've been using my Macbook Pro 13.3'' since... Sept 2009.
I've upgraded from a Mac Mini from 2007 prior to that.

My current MBP is good for everyday use... but not when I need to be editing photos in Photoshop, or when I'm editing video.
Also would love to be able to game on a PC for the first time in years...

I'm planning to upgrade to the new iMac and was wondering what members of this forum could tell me about the new iMac in terms of pros and cons.

I'm also trying to decide between a 21.5'' and 27''. Really wish there was 24'' still =/

27'' seems to large but the 21.5'' isn't able to upgrade RAM by yourself.

Also been hearing/reading about problems with the new iMacs on this forum and other sources. This is making me hesitant on getting it.

Also wondering what would be some upgrades I could do to it myself in the future that aren't too difficult :P

Leaning towards the 27'' with 1TB FusionDrive... not sure what else to choose/upgrade in terms of specs.

Also... how long do you guys think the life cycle of this iMac will last? I probably won't upgrade for 2-3yrs since I'm still a 3rd yr uni student (parents helping with a portion). After that my money would be towards rent so I'll have less disposable income.
Think it's worth it?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by nickoras; Feb 28, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
nickoras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:04 AM   #2
torana355
macrumors 65816

Even though some people may have issues with the new iMac, there are plenty of people that have close to perfect units. I absolutely love mine and it is close to perfect except for some very minor light bleed issues. Go for it i say.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:11 AM   #3
nickoras
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Even though some people may have issues with the new iMac, there are plenty of people that have close to perfect units. I absolutely love mine and it is close to perfect except for some very minor light bleed issues. Go for it i say.
Oh i see.
Minor light bleed D: never noticed that on older models that friends/family had.

Also... if I end up with an LG screen think they'll let me return even a configured one for a newer one ?

Also wondering about the more prevalent yellow tint I've been hearing about... how bad is it?
I'm using an external Dell monitor right now and I hate how yellowy the whites look. I love my whites... to be white!
nickoras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:28 AM   #4
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoras View Post
Oh i see.
Minor light bleed D: never noticed that on older models that friends/family had.

Also... if I end up with an LG screen think they'll let me return even a configured one for a newer one ?

Also wondering about the more prevalent yellow tint I've been hearing about... how bad is it?
I'm using an external Dell monitor right now and I hate how yellowy the whites look. I love my whites... to be white!
You'll be returning it forever. All of the iMac screens are made by LG.

I have just received my iMac and it is absolutely perfect!

Remember, generally people come on forums for help and to complain. Not often do you hear good stories because people just don't bother.

For every 1000 perfect iMacs there is probably one with a problem.

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8b2
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac