Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's System Status page is showing multiple iCloud services with 'issues':

cloud-800x115.png
Services listed as being affected are Photo Stream, Documents in the Cloud and Backup. The services have been having problems for nearly five hours already, and Apple has not yet provided a timeframe for a fix.

(Thanks, Guillermo.)

Update 8:28 AM: The issues are persisting some seven hours after Apple first acknowledged them, but the company has now updated its status page to note that less than 1% of users are currently being affected.

Article Link: iCloud's Photo Stream, Documents, and Backup Services Currently Experiencing Problems

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
5 Hours?

I was having issues with using Photo Stream in my screen saver on the Apple TV last night 12 hours ago. So has it been down since last night?

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
iCloud is a mess. Unreliable, unfinished, difficult for developers to implement -- not exactly a winning combination for Apple's strategy for the next decade.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
iCloud is a mess. Unreliable, unfinished, difficult for developers to implement -- not exactly a winning combination for Apple's strategy for the next decade.

Based on what? There are plenty of users that never experience any problems. As of this moment all of those services listed above are working without issue for me. Obviously there are some users out there that are being effected and I'm sure there are varying degrees of frustration going along with that (for those that even notice), but what online service doesn't suffer from user outage here and there?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010

Based on what? There are plenty of users that never experience any problems. As of this moment all of those services listed above are working without issue for me. Obviously there are some users out there that are being effected and I'm sure there are varying degrees of frustration going along with that (for those that even notice), but what online service doesn't suffer from user outage here and there?

Same here for me. Literally just finished editing Numbers files on my iPad that are documents stored in iCloud.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
So many cynics urgh.

I love the iCloud and have rarely encountered an issue.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I like iCloud syncing my Notes and bookmarks and tabs between devices, but sometimes it's not instantaneous enough for me to be comfortable with the lack of an indicator like Dropbox has. I'm okay with the fact that Dropbox takes a few minutes (or sometimes even hours if I'm dropping huge files in it) because it'll give me an estimate of how long uploads and downloads will take.

If iCloud is taking over a minute, I get nervous that its going to fail entirely because it has no progress indicator. (But of course, it, like Dropbox, just about never fails. Google Drive, on the other hand, fails about as often as it works. It's probably Google's worst product to date.)

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Like it, but I have experienced issues. I'm not convinced about it's reliability and quite frankly not surprised about the technical difficulties.

Haven't been happy with Apple since my 2 year old iMac broke. This is in addition to my MBP breaking just before the purchase of the iMac.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple is the best in the business when it comes to enterprise-level networking solutions. They will be back up and better than ever in no time.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011

I work at Best Buy, and i have to do a lot of Microsoft account setups for people who buy a new Windows 8 computer, and literally about 30% of the time the Microsoft servers wont accept the account setup, so i have to take down their information, check in the computer, do it later, and have them come back to pick it up... THAT's what a mess looks like.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It says it's fixed, but I still can't backup to iCloud or even see the my available app updates (I do have one, I have the app badge, just nothing loads when I click updates).

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Even when it functions normally, I'm not a fan of Apple's cloud solution. There's still not complete compatibility between iWork apps on my Mini/MacBooks and iPad/iPhones. I frequently have three copies of a single keynote appear on my iPad with no easy way of finding the most current version. I was a fan of the local-folder syncing option they had with MobileMe, and continue to like that about Dropbox.
When an iCloud service is down though, it's such a pain. I can handle a potential outage keeping me from syncing a file from one computer to another, but not denying me access to the file at all, as has been happening today. I see the thumbnails in the "Open" dialog on my apps, but there's no way to get them. Ridiculous frustration.
I'm sure this is not just apple's cloud, but that's the one I'm in large part stuck with, given the ecosystem I've chosen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.