Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:18 AM   #51
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Love all the tin foil hats people are wearing. This stuff happens all the time. And by this stuff - I don't mean what's being implied on this thread. I mean hiring EXPERTS as consultants.
Yeah a lot of gullible people thinking the judge was paid off by Samsung. He probably wanted to retired and got a good offer from Samsung because of his expertise in patent law. I think any normal person would probably do exactly what this judge did if the money was good. Anything to get people upset and page counts. Enough is enough. Social media is the new Enquirer.

Last edited by bobenhaus; Feb 28, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
bobenhaus is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:19 AM   #52
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
case after Apple complied with the initial court order but in a rather playful manner, quoting judge Colin Birss's earlier comment that the Galaxy Tab was "not as cool" as the iPad. Sir Robin was unamused, and ordered Apple to change the notice,
This is false, Apple was not orderder to change the notice for quoting Judge Blirss, they were forced to change it for making false claims.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:19 AM   #53
sputnikv
macrumors regular

makes you wonder if samsung had reached out to this person prior. it would be rather scandalous if so
sputnikv is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:23 AM   #54
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikv View Post
makes you wonder if samsung had reached out to this person prior. it would be rather scandalous if so
Well let's put it another way. Let's assume for a second the judge was in cahoots with Samsung. And their relationship exposed. What do you think that does to a man and his reputation and career.

Ok - now how does that also play out for Samsung when it comes time for their next court case which this judge was their expert advisor.

Until someone has any factual evidence - I stand by my original comment. A lot of tin foil hats in here.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:24 AM   #55
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikv View Post
Priot to what?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:26 AM   #56
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Well, it seems like Samsung was pleased by his work
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:27 AM   #57
Newton70
macrumors regular

This is not surprising since samsung has a history rich in corruption, dirty dealings, and other corporate scandals.
Newton70 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:27 AM   #58
stewy
macrumors member

Hahah, as if Apple doesn't have Lucy Koh or whatever her name is in their back pocket... you guys are hilarious.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:27 AM   #59
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton70 View Post
This is not surprising since samsung has a history rich in corruption, dirty dealings, and other corporate scandals.
And exactly where it is the corruption, the dirty deal or the corporate scandal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy View Post
Hahah, as if Apple doesn't have Lucy Koh or whatever her name is in their back pocket... you guys are hilarious.
Anything to back this or it is only libel?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:28 AM   #60
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Why would Samsung want to copy an already out of date screen size and OS? They have a very good thing going with the screen sizes they offer and whether you like it or not Android is a very capable OS. I think you're taking this a little to personal
So, a screen size can be outdated? Interesting. Oh, you mean like 17" laptops.

Then by all means buy 8" phones, so the majority can have ones that actually fit in their pocket again.
Giuly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:28 AM   #61
stewy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton70 View Post
Yeah, Apple totally doesn't do anything bad like use Chinese slave labor or anything.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:32 AM   #62
hippietech
macrumors newbie

A well-known tactic.

Samsung is very good at executing plans to grow the company whether they are illegal or unethical.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...a-8510588.html
hippietech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:35 AM   #63
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Sure it does. It just doesn't make fan websites because typically - it's non news. As is this. Great click bait. But hardly anything new.
Are there any other high profile examples you can share?
2bikes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:35 AM   #64
stewy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
And exactly where it is the corruption, the dirty deal or the corporate scandal?

Anything to back this or it is only libel?
Nothing at all... but is there anything to backup that this UK judge has done anything wrong? Why is this even a story here.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #65
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy View Post
Yeah, Apple totally doesn't do anything bad like use Chinese slave labor or anything.
Slaves don't get paid.

Chinese people work as many hours as they want to make as much money as they need/want, they can walk away from it.
justperry is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #66
CptnJustc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
Better a former judge be a consultant than a former consultant be a judge.
Actually, I'd easily prefer the latter. If judges knew they could earn significant income later on from the companies they ruled on, that would give them incentive to rule in their future best interests, perhaps even make every trial a sort of audition.
CptnJustc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #67
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bikes View Post
Are there any other high profile examples you can share?
No. I don't off hand. I'll do some poking around for internet evidence later. I just know of friends and/or family who are in the legal profession and have shared stories. Anecdotal evidence isn't enough so I'll try and get some links later.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:39 AM   #68
rudigern
macrumors member

If he was simply a judge that preceded over a ruling by a jury it would be simply smart business to work for a company for patents as he is an expert. However, he ruled in a case and called it a "lack of integrity" on Apples PR. To work for a company who you just ruled in favour of is a "lack of integrity".
rudigern is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:39 AM   #69
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Blatant conflict of interest. Inexcusable. It seems large chunks of the UK legal system are for sale, from police selling stories about ongoing cases to judges taking lucrative contracts from past defendants. Outrageous.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:39 AM   #70
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

wow, that is a shocker. I wonder if samsung approach him after the ruling.... or maybe not.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:40 AM   #71
dynamojoe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
Yeh, I wouldn't put it past Samsung to pay off people.
Old news.
dynamojoe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:41 AM   #72
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Slaves don't get paid.

Chinese people work as many hours as they want to make as much money as they need/want, they can walk away from it.
No. Not all slaves worked for free. If you want to be factually correct.

The point wasn't semantic until you made it one. The point the OP was making was about the incongruous statements that imply Apple is squeaky clean (when they are most definitely not) vs Samsung who is "only" corrupt and couldn't possibly act above board.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:42 AM   #73
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugBlanket View Post
And Apple's "Playful compliance" wasn't ?
"But he started it!"
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:42 AM   #74
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Blatant conflict of interest.
Really? Any thing to back your claim?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:43 AM   #75
Mac21ND
macrumors 6502a

Where's Judge Dredd when you need him?