Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Hello all, just a quick question regarding the logic boards in these machines. Currently have an Imac G5 Powerpc. Have issues with the G card (more than likely needs reflowing) But i was just thinking would an Intel logic board fit inside my Imac?
Hoping to maybe fit one and move over to snow leopard, or Lion etc.

Thanks for any advice.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I have 2 Imacs, both using the power pc chip. One has the ports vertical the other horizontal.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I have 2 Imacs, both using the power pc chip. One has the ports vertical the other horizontal.

I believe the earlier G5's (1.6, 1.8, 2.0) ports were vertical, whereas the later (1.9, 2.1) G5's were horizontal.

I'm pretty sure the casing in the 1.9 & 2.1 is identical to the early Intel ones, however logicboard mounting spots etc. will most likely be different.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
PowerPC to Intel conversion....

As in tittle i know people have said it cant be done, but i dont see why not? Anyway keep checking as i will update the topic as and when i have the bits and in-between the stages.....Wish me luck haha.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You don't see why not? Then you have a lot to learn about computers and their components.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You have to first over come the problem of the number of pins each computer has. PowerPC CPUs have a different arrangement an number of pins than an Intell CPU.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Care to elaborate on that?

This, for starters:

You have to first over come the problem of the number of pins each computer has. PowerPC CPUs have a different arrangement an number of pins than an Intell CPU.

Which means swapping out every internal component. At that point, you have an intel-based hackintosh.

----------

Would replacing the logic board not sort that out?

Sure, but the other components will not be compatible with the new logic board - video card, HDD, Superdrive, etc.

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Impossible. Voltages are different, memory controllers are different, FSB structure is different + more things are simply too different. Only if you swap everything you can convert, hard disk you might be able to use depending on the situation, some adapters are of course available.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Right let me get this straight, I'm talkin about an Imac G5 with a powerpc chip. How is the hdd not going to fit?
Graphics card is onboard
Superdrives? Are they all different?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Right let me get this straight, I'm talkin about an Imac G5 with a powerpc chip. How is the hdd not going to fit?
Graphics card is onboard
Superdrives? Are they all different?

Since you're talking about an iMac, here are a few more problems ...

1. The new logic board will not fit physically in the old machine.

2. Power supply will not work with an Intel logic board.

3. What connection does the old HDD use? What connections are on the new logic board?

4. ^^^ same for Superdrive.

5. Does the new logic board have on-board graphics?

---

Like I said, you have a lot to learn.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Yes, HDD, optical drive and DDR2 sticks you might be able to use depending on which generation they are from....but you can't swap just PPC CPU to Intel, G5 to Core.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Not a lot to learn at all. All this im going to find out. Hdd are they not all sata in the Imac g5's? Im pretty sure they are (or at least in the ones im going to be working with are)
Superdrives again until i get the new logic board im not sure.
Why will the logic board not fit in the machine? Have you tried to fit one?
Again power supply is something i need to look at.
I never said this was a 10 minute job and never said it was going to be easy, i just said im going to do it.....

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Of all things, I can't see the HDD and superdrive causing much problems actually. The rest of the stuff on the other hand, ouch.

Trust us, you can't convert an iMac G5 (or any PPC Mac) to an Intel one without replacing every core component (and as has been pointed out, not feasible). Just get a PowerMac, rip everything out and make yourself a nice casemod Hackintosh instead if that's your thing.

Either you have a lot to learn, or you're messing with us. :)

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Your all making this out to be something massive. I cant see there being too much difference with the components IE screen etc.
Yeah the memory is different which i know, maybe the power supply. But thats not exactly rocket science to change.
Surely most things that connect to the logic board have the same plugs???

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Your all making this out to be something massive. I cant see there being too much difference with the components IE screen etc.
Yeah the memory is different which i know, maybe the power supply. But thats not exactly rocket science to change.
Surely most things that connect to the logic board have the same plugs???

No point in debating this further as you obviously know better than us.
We are all looking forward to your status updates. Good luck!

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I suggest you take a look at ifixit's guides to compare the motherboard mounting and internal structure in general. I have a feeling you won't be coming back here after you do that.

Good luck...

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I suggest you take a look at ifixit's guides to compare the motherboard mounting and internal structure in general. I have a feeling you won't be coming back here after you do that.

Good luck...

Why wouldnt i come back? I like to try things if they dont work they dont work. If they do then thats a bonus.
From what i have seen they do have the same fixings and mounting points.

----------

No point in debating this further as you obviously know better than us.
We are all looking forward to your status updates. Good luck!

No im not saying i know better than anyone. Your all just jumping on a band wagon and i wonder how many of you have tried doing what im going to do???

Last edited by a moderator:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
No, because it's nye-on impossible. Swapping out another motherboard & it would then be a hackintosh, good luck to you if you're going down that route but if you're going to trying a just plonk an Intel CPU in and expect it work (or fit in the first place) then you're going to be in for a bit of a surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Of course i know an intel chip wont fit in the slot of a power pc one. Thats like trying to fit Amd into intel mobo. Im not expecting anything to be done over night and to work straight away but what does??

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The power supply will only work with G5 iMac logicboards, the optical drive is a ATAPI drive that are not very common on Intell desktop motherboards, the screen won't work without you making a new controller board for it and its brightness will be stuck at 100%. Don't forget the speakers, microphone, iSight, power button, IO ports, and IR board. You'll have to make custom connectors for all of those devices after you reverse engineer their protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.