Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I am FINALLY getting a RMBP today and I have a few games that I have on CDs from using this 2010 MBP. I remember a while back Apple talking about being able to remote install things from another Mac to another Mac without an optical drive.
I searched around and it seems that it is "retired". Is it a program? I mean, how does that work?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I am FINALLY getting a RMBP today and I have a few games that I have on CDs from using this 2010 MBP. I remember a while back Apple talking about being able to remote install things from another Mac to another Mac without an optical drive.
I searched around and it seems that it is "retired". Is it a program? I mean, how does that work?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287?viewlocale=en_US#

I THINK it's still there (you can even share from Windows!) That would be just like Apple to remove it 5 minutes after introducing it, but I could swear I saw an option recently.

There could be issues though with discs that use copy protection, I'd guess. At least I've had issues even with USB optical drives.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287?viewlocale=en_US#

I THINK it's still there (you can even share from Windows!) That would be just like Apple to remove it 5 minutes after introducing it, but I could swear I saw an option recently.

There could be issues though with discs that use copy protection, I'd guess. At least I've had issues even with USB optical drives.

I'm actually walking into the Apple Store so I am going to make them show me what's up...I mean, I have 8 games that are on a disk and I just need them installed onto the Retina.

I don't even know how i'm gonna install those games without having to purchase that overly expensive USB Optical Drive.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
If you do get stuck buying that, at least so far it seems like it's pretty good quality (though why can't it be Blu Ray!!!)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's just a case of sharing the cd drive. Alternatively I'm sure the Apple store has a spare drive you can borrow if you take the games to the store with you.

Another option - if you have it, you can use Remote Desktop to remotely install software - which is quite handy. I use it to install software on every machine on the network at the same time.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
It's just a case of sharing the cd drive. Alternatively I'm sure the Apple store has a spare drive you can borrow if you take the games to the store with you.

Another option - if you have it, you can use Remote Desktop to remotely install software - which is quite handy. I use it to install software on every machine on the network at the same time.

On OS X? Dumb question, but how's that work? Sounds handy. I remote in to my WIndows systems all the time, but I'm not 100% sure how it works (or how well it works) on OS X.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
On OS X? Dumb question, but how's that work? Sounds handy. I remote in to my WIndows systems all the time, but I'm not 100% sure how it works (or how well it works) on OS X.

You just enable it in the sharing preferences, and then use the Remote Desktop app to manage them. It works really well, and ties into iCloud - so I can remotely manage/remote into my computers at home providing they're all signed into the same iCloud account I am without configuring any VPN, or using logmein etc.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
That sounds really good Brian.
Quick question,
When I walk into the Apple Store, will they let me check to see if the screen is LG or Samsung before I buy it? Is it possible to do that?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
You just enable it in the sharing preferences, and then use the Remote Desktop app to manage them. It works really well, and ties into iCloud - so I can remotely manage/remote into my computers at home providing they're all signed into the same iCloud account I am without configuring any VPN, or using logmein etc.

Wow, that's really cool! I assume that works (minus the getting through your firewall part) without iCloud too, right?

I'm always iffy giving anyone else access to my PC...granted I trust Apple more than most any other company, but still.

Anyway that's really cool/well thought out system!

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012

Quick question,
When I walk into the Apple Store, will they let me check to see if the screen is LG or Samsung before I buy it? Is it possible to do that?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Quick question,

Nope - there's no way. There's an old system lying around that will tell you based on the serial number, but it's not something that 99% of the staff will know how or be willing to do.

Just enjoy your laptop whatever screen it has. Personally, having used both, I much prefer the LG.

----------

Wow, that's really cool! I assume that works (minus the getting through your firewall part) without iCloud too, right?

I'm always iffy giving anyone else access to my PC...granted I trust Apple more than most any other company, but still.

Anyway that's really cool/well thought out system!

Yep, works brilliantly. I haven't had to configure my router for it at all. Works in the same way that back to my mac used to. As far as software goes, it's one piece of software that's well worth the small cost if you have more than 2 machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.