Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:41 AM   #1
george99
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
iPhone connection

Hi,
When I connect my iphone to a windows computer, it allows me to open it up like a thumbdrive where I can directly access the images and videos stored on the phone.

However, when I connect to a MAC, it does not (or at least I don't know how) all this. As an example, I just took a picture of something that I wanted upload to a website. But I can't find a way to access that image thru the file system without going thru iphoto and exporting it first.
george99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:02 PM   #2
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
To see it in finder, you have to jailbreak your iPhone. If you don't want to jailbreak, then there are 3rd party apps that will let you do what you want. Pretty easy to find the apps with a google search.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
george99
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyMcDoo View Post
To see it in finder, you have to jailbreak your iPhone. If you don't want to jailbreak, then there are 3rd party apps that will let you do what you want. Pretty easy to find the apps with a google search.
Thanks for the help. I found iexplore. Seems like it will do the job.
Just curious, why would Apple let Windows users be able to browse images on the phone, but not Mac?
george99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by george99 View Post
Just curious, why would Apple let Windows users be able to browse images on the phone, but not Mac?
Well, first of all, the iPhone is not presenting itself as a USB drive to either windows or mac, or any other OS. It presents itself as a camera. Windows (or really explorer) chooses to present that camera to you the same way it would a file system. Linux also has drivers to make the iphone (or other cameras) show up as a file system.

Apple has chosen to not allow finder to present cameras as a file system. They know better. They know how you should see cameras and you will like it. You shall use a camera app such as iPhoto.

Actually, a sort of work-around that might give you kind of close to what you want is drobbox. When you plug in your phone, it will copy all of your photos onto the cloud, as well as on your hard drive. It's not exactly browsing your phone directly, but it's pretty seamless.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by george99 View Post
Thanks for the help. I found iexplore. Seems like it will do the job.
Just curious, why would Apple let Windows users be able to browse images on the phone, but not Mac?
  1. I have OSX set to "do nothing" if I connect my iPhone.
  2. I use Photostream to get my photos over for "everyday use" so I wind up dealing with iPhoto about once a quarter. It crashes almost every time. **
  3. For movies, which photostream generally ignores, I use image capture which is the closest thing I can find to treating the camera as if it were a filesystem.

** There is a workaround for getting directly to photostream photos without launching iPhoto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyMcDoo View Post
Well, first of all, the iPhone is not presenting itself as a USB drive to either windows or mac, or any other OS. It presents itself as a camera. Windows (or really explorer) chooses to present that camera to you the same way it would a file system. Linux also has drivers to make the iphone (or other cameras) show up as a file system.

Apple has chosen to not allow finder to present cameras as a file system. They know better. They know how you should see cameras and you will like it. You shall use a camera app such as iPhoto.

Actually, a sort of work-around that might give you kind of close to what you want is drobbox. When you plug in your phone, it will copy all of your photos onto the cloud, as well as on your hard drive. It's not exactly browsing your phone directly, but it's pretty seamless.
While Apple may have blocked treating the camera as if it were a filesystem, for photostream users there is a way to avoid launching iPhoto to get the latest photos from your photostream...

There is a nice description of the photostream folder workaround here.

And shame on Apple for attempting to require that I launch iPhoto just to import images when I have iPhoto crash on me all the time. I have about 300 GB of photos with "copy to iPhoto Library" disabled so my iPhoto Library size is under 12 GB but iPhoto still crashes on me almost every time I try and use it.
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) + iPad mini + iPhone5 + (GS4 for work)
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Mavericks!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting iphone 5 to iphone 4 car connection djsound iPhone Accessories 9 Feb 12, 2014 11:43 PM
Timemachine, moving from direct connection to WiFi connection jensvium Mac Peripherals 2 Oct 7, 2013 09:05 PM
iPad: No Tetherme USB connection, Wifi connection is fine labear Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Jun 16, 2013 04:12 PM
iPhone: Connection iphone to laptop?? daveo72 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Feb 16, 2013 03:00 PM
Created a second VPN connection by mistake. How do I delete the second connection Subu iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jan 18, 2013 02:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC