Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sales of the iPad mini are cannibalizing sales of the iPad, according to a report from NPD DisplaySearch. January shipments of tablet panels between 7 and 9 inches eclipsed shipments of larger panels, indicating an unexpected shift in consumer preference for a smaller form factor tablet.

Shipments of 9.7-inch panels (the iPad) fell from 7.4 million in December to 1.3 million in January, while shipments of 7.9-inch panels (the iPad mini) rose to over 5 million. Smaller tablet panels, including those used for the iPad mini, the Kindle Fire, and the Google Nexus, saw total shipments of 14 million.

tabletshipments.jpg
In December, NPD estimated that Apple would sell 40 million iPads minis and 60 million iPads during 2013, but the January sales numbers suggest that the mini will outsell the iPad.
As we noted in December, Apple had planned to sell 40M iPad minis (7.9") and 60M iPads (9.7") in 2013. However, the reality seems to be the reverse, as the iPad mini has been more popular than the iPad. We now understand that Apple may be planning to sell 55M iPad minis (7.9") and 33M iPads (9.7") in 2013.
For much of December and January, the iPad mini was in short supply due to low yield rates of the mini's display panels, with shipping times up to a week. Apple finally reached supply-demand balance earlier this month, which will facilitate even greater sales of the smaller tablet.

During Apple's January earnings call, Apple executives addressed cannibalization fears, indicating that the company is not worried about iPad mini sales overtaking iPad sales.
Cannibilization is a huge opportunity for us. We never fear it because if we do, someone else will do it. iPhone has cannibalized iPod, that doesn't worry us. iPad has on the Mac, and that doesn't concern us.
Currently, the full-sized iPad is an attractive choice because of its Retina display, but Apple is rumored to be releasing a second generation iPad mini with Retina later this year.

Article Link: iPad Mini Sales Overtaking iPad Sales Faster Than Apple Expected

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
iPad is heavy

make it lighter, then full size iPad and Mini will split the share.

For longer period of use I go with iPad 4 and for games and simpler stuff i use the iPad mini.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Doesn't surprise me at all. I've had an iPad since it came out, and always said that a smaller version would be much more suitable for some tasks. Ever since the iPad mini came out, I no longer use my big iPad for anything other than watching video, even though the mini feels underpowered and I wish it had a retina display

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
This doesn't really surprise me. I've seen more use from the iPad mini over the full size iPad and even iPhones in the past 2 months on some of my apps.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The mini was the first iPad I actually wanted for myself (and then ended up getting one for the wife only :mad:). Perfect size in that it still gives me that extra space for when the phone isn't enough, but it is easy to grab a hold of with one hand. The price point is pretty fantastic too!

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
When it was first announced, I thought Apple was crazy to price it at $329. Clearly I was wrong.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I love the mini. I much prefer the size to the 9.7" iPads.

The one thing to remember is they may be eating into sales of the 9.7", but the $200 Nexus 7 was probably eating into them too. So, coming out with something a little cheaper is better than completely losing out to other tablets.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
People will buy whatever is cheaper. If they have to settle for a smaller screen, they will.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
The most interesting part of that bar chart is the apparently very strong sales of the Galaxy tab 10.1

(But I think there are several 7" tablets..?)

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
- Cheaper
- Lighter
- More portable
- Easier for smaller hands (women, kids)
- Easier to use with one hand
- Works better as an e-reader

Makes sense.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
i thought this was obvious?

you provide a cheaper product of similar quality, its going to sell more.

georgB

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Europe
Smaller is better

Hate to say it (well, not really), but I TOLD YOU SO. For years, I've been saying that a smaller Mac, still a Mac, not a Smartphone, would be a dynamite must-have - not just for me. The smaller iPad is the closest, so far, and if they'd only add a real keyboard, they'd have a real blockbuster.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
People will buy whatever is cheaper. If they have to settle for a smaller screen, they will.

I think numerous people will disagree with you, namely those who bought a 27" iMac instead of a 21", those who bought a iPod Classic over the Nano, those who bought a Mac over a PC, and so on.

Costing less money is nice, but everything has value. Evidently having a screen be 44% bigger and has 300% more pixels isn't worth a price that's 50% higher, for most tablet buyers (and users, based on comments in this thread.)

I wonder if Apple's stock will drop on this news... I imagine they make more per iPad sold vs. iPad Mini sold.

Edit:

Each iPad sold nets Apple $190 while each iPad Mini sold nets Apple only $140.

Old Projection:
40 minis * $140 = $5600M
60 fulls * $190 = $11400M
Total = $17B

New Projection:
55M minis * $140 = $7700M
33M fulls * $190 = $6270M
Total = $14B

Ouch.

Last edited:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
i dont understand this ipad mini popularity...
i have one but 90% of the time, i reach for my full size ipad...
to me using an ipad mini is like using a big ipod touch..not big enough to give a 'full experience'. browsing on a big ipad to be feels comparable to browsing on a laptop. on an ipad mini, it isnt.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Duh — get the full iPad experience for cheaper than a full iPad?

Sold. (Literally.)

Has very little to do with 7" vs. 10" tablets. It's all about cost when it comes to average, non-techy consumers.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Better for Apple to cannibalize itself vs another company to take their business away. Which was bound to happen if Apple didn't put out something less expensive and smaller to compete.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I own all the iPads models (for development) .... my top favorite is the iPad mini. Why? Weight! It is so super light compared to the big brothers and whenever I pick up one of the older ones (that are now used by the rest of the family), I think: wow, what a brick. I don't mind the smaller screen, it is good quality and also good for reading. First I thought I will hate it (got it mostly for development to test software on the smaller screen) - but it became quickly my favorite iPad (and honestly, I don't miss the retina display)

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
It's a really hard choice. I like them both. If I only had to chose one it would probably be the iPad 9.7 since it's about to replace my iMac. Otherwise, I'll eventually own both.

cloudness

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
"Cannibalization"? More like Apple saw a segment of the market they didn't cover, and where they didn't want to be left behind. One sale of an iPad mini might prevent the sale of a iPad, but it moreso can prevent the sale of a similarly sized Samsung Galaxy Note.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
- Cheaper
- Lighter
- More portable
- Easier for smaller hands (women, kids)
- Easier to use with one hand
- Works better as an e-reader

Makes sense.

Why does it make sense? Yet when people talk about the iPhone they want bigger? It makes no sense at all!

yesnek

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Not surprised at all.
Next to an iPad mini the original sized iPad looks massively outdated, almost clumsy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.