Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
So I walk into one if the larger grocery stores and see in the magazine section around a half dozen different glossy magazines on Apps and/or iOS devices: iPhone this, iPad that, etc. titles.

Has anyone here bought a print ad in one if those magazines? How much did it cost? Any return on investment?

Or are they all a scam?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Totally depends on the magazine. Typically extremely expensive. Unless you're a big dev it's not worth it.

For a small time app I can almost guarantee there would be a good roi.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Totally depends on the magazine. Typically extremely expensive. Unless you're a big dev it's not worth it.

For a small time app I can almost guarantee there would be a good roi.

Agree - they're going to be expensive. Things to consider:

Does your app match the target audience of the magazine? For example, you have a "to-do" app and the magazine is targeted to mothers.

Does your app have current positive reviews? In general, you don't want to advertise your app if it's currently a 2 or 3 out of 5 star app -- it will cause people not to purchase and most likely lead to a bad ROI. Wait and improve your app until it's at least a 4 star.

Do you have good supporting marketing? I.e., a good website, good social media, etc;? A print ad is one part of the equation. Make sure someone can quickly google your app, find a high-quality website with great screenshots and videos, and quickly link to buying the app now.

Best of luck. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point in time, I think there may be better ways to market your apps. Print magazines are on their way out. Less and less people are buying them and most younger folks (under the age of 30) seem more likely to read stuff online versus buying a magazine at this point. That is you may miss your target if you buy print ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.