Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I have a WD TV Lube Hub media center hooked up to my TV/surround system in the living room, and it's loaded with movies, all in mkv container, DTS or DD 5.1 sound.

I've been using iVI Pro/iFlicks/Road Movie to convert them for iPad, using pass-through video conversion settings so they just convert the audio to AAC 2 channel and leave the video as-is, and re-container it. Very quick, and works a treat.

Problem is, it means I end up with 2 copies of the same movie on the drive (1 with a DTS/DD 5.1 audio track, 1 with a 2 channel AAC audio track).

Is there any of simply inserting the 2 channel AAC track into the existing movie file so it'll play on iPad?

I don't want to simply use the AAC 2 channel version of the movie for everything and delete the other one, because if I decide to watch the movie on the TV in the living room I then won't have DTS/DD 5.1 surround sound.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
shouldnt the audio stream downconvert to play fine on the ipad? DD is a format that allows for downsampling for people with a stereo only setup.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
shouldnt the audio stream downconvert to play fine on the ipad? DD is a format that allows for downsampling for people with a stereo only setup.

Nope. The problem is:

- he has MKV files, which aren't iDevice-friendly
- on top of that, he has DTS audio, which 1, MUST be converted 2, can be included in MP4 (m4v / mov) files only unofficially.

These all mean you would need to use third-party players to play these files. Unfortunately, all have their quirks because of Apple's not allowing for direct H.264 decoding in hardware.

----------

I have a WD TV Lube Hub media center hooked up to my TV/surround system in the living room, and it's loaded with movies, all in mkv container, DTS or DD 5.1 sound.

I've been using iVI Pro/iFlicks/Road Movie to convert them for iPad, using pass-through video conversion settings so they just convert the audio to AAC 2 channel and leave the video as-is, and re-container it. Very quick, and works a treat.

Problem is, it means I end up with 2 copies of the same movie on the drive (1 with a DTS/DD 5.1 audio track, 1 with a 2 channel AAC audio track).

Is there any of simply inserting the 2 channel AAC track into the existing movie file so it'll play on iPad?

I don't want to simply use the AAC 2 channel version of the movie for everything and delete the other one, because if I decide to watch the movie on the TV in the living room I then won't have DTS/DD 5.1 surround sound.

Give a try to MP4Tools. If you check in the "add 2-Ch Track" while keeping "Pass Thru" on. Don't pay attention to the app's rendering the "Pass Thru" option by red - it WILL work.

In the following screenshot, I've annotated this checkbox / radio button for you:

mp4tools-dtspassthru-with-aac-1.png

The output M4V will have both a new AAC and the original DTS audio tracks (I've annotated them too):

mp4tools-dtspassthru-with-aac-2.png

(the source for this example is the standard test Monsters MKV with DTS audio at http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/h264_1080p_hp_4.1_10mbps_dts_unstyled_subs_monsters.mkv )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.