Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
Hi

We recently had our Imac stolen and with it our photos from the past 10 years. All of the photos were stored on our Apple TV 1st Gen. I had no success creating a patchstick to transfer the files back but did manage to remove the hard drive and copy all of the music and photo files onto my new Imac via USB.

While I have successfully added all of the music to the ITunes library, which has re-created the albums, this didn't happen with the photos. From IPhoto, I added the "Photos" folder from the ATV media partition to the IPhoto library. All of the photos came across to IPhoto but none of the albums was re-created.

The library just shows the various folders in the ATV file structure which lists the photos with its unique file names and in random order. The best I have achieved is to drag all of the photos into a single album and sort it chronologically, but this puts 30k of photos in one place and not all of the meta data is accurate.

Given that the photos are still all sorted into the original albums when I bring them up on the ATV, does anybody know if it's possible to sort the recovered files into the original albums in IPhoto?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.