Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Hi there
I've migrated from SL to ML and I have an issue with Preview. When viewing an image (lets say its 400x400) when I expand the window out further than 400x400 it makes it +100% size and becomes digitally zoomed/blocky. I never want it to go past 100% unless I zoom in on it, any ideas how to fix this please to how it was in SL?
I dont want the image to fill the screen I want it to be the actual size it really is.
Thanks

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Very annoying indeed - the inverse happens when you activate the Annotation tool: the extra toolbar makes the image shrink - yuck.

I found this: after opening your image in Preview, open the View menu then tap and hold the Option key. "Real Size" will now change into "Always Real Size" (working from a Dutch system, so not sure about the exact words).
Problem is, Preview doesn't seem to save this preference when quitting.

Would there be a way to tinker the app's .plist?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It seems that when you first open an image, the default View is "View To Fit" (Command 9). If you select "Actual Size" (Command 0), then the image will stay at the 100% size when you resize the window.

I suspect there may be a defaults write parameter that can set the default behaviour, but I don't know what it is.

Why do you want a bigger window, if you don't want the image to fill it? Aren't you just giving yourself loads of grey space? I can imagine Apple's thinking is along those lines.

Last edited:

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Thanks for your help, but this is a bit of a weird one.
I double click to open the image in Preview. If I then hit "Cmd 0" it still doesnt stop it from completely resizing as large as you want. You have to click on the image (thats open in Preview) and then hit "Cmd 0".

Does anyone know how to make it so that the default is always "Actual Size"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.