|Mar 1, 2013, 09:50 AM||#1|
OS X 10.8 for old Macs (Graphics Working!)
Sorry if my English is bad, I'm French.
I recently succeeded to install Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on my Late 2006 iMac with ATIRadeon X1600 graphics who is worked very well (with graphics acceleration and OpenGL Support) !
Macs who work with v2 :
iMac X1600 : Perfect
iMac GMA 950 : Perfect
MacBook GMA 950 : Perfect
MacBook GMA X3100 : Perfect
Mac Mini GMA 950 : Not tested, should work !
MacBook Pro X1600 : Not tested, should work !
Macs who work with v3 :
iMac X1600 : Perfect
iMac GMA 950 : Doesn't work yet
MacBook GMA 950 : Doesn't work yet
MacBook GMA X3100 : Doesn't work yet
Mac Mini GMA 950 : Doesn't work yet
MacBook Pro X1600 : Not tested, should work !
Hack ML v3 : A Totally new Hack for ML !
Change log :
- Add 64 bits support
- Add 64 bits Graphics support with sleep and QE/CI
- Fix Networking problems
- Fix kexts problems
- Fix iSight problem (lags).
Public Testing !!!!! : download the beta here !!!
SAME GUIDE !
- This works perfectly on my iMac Late 2006 ! Should work on MacBook Pro who have ATI Radeon X1600 Graphics !
- This doesn't works on any MacBooks yet because there isn't 64 bits driver for GMA Graphics... (PM me if you are skilled in decompiling, in c.....)
- It takes more time to boot than v2.
- You can't choose your startup disk from ML (System or Installation).
Can I add my graphics card to the Hack ?
- To add your Graphics Card, the kexts must be 64 bits and from Lion 10.7.5.
- PM me if your Graphics Card (except ATI Radeon X1600) works.
Here the method I created (Text) :
1. Buy ML via the MacAppStore
2. Go to your Install Mountain Lion Application -> click Show Packages Contents -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> and mount InstallESD.
3. open a terminal and type : open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/basesystem.dmg
4. Partition your Hard drive (see pics)
5. Restore your Installer partition with Mac OS X Base System
6. When restoring operation is finished, eject Mac OS X Base System DISK IMAGE and rename your Installer partition to ML Setup (with a space between ML and Setup).
7. on terminal, type : sudo rm /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Installation/Packages
sudo cp -R /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Installation
8. When copying operation is finished, download this file here (Hack ML v2, don't download if you want to test v3 !).
9. Unzip this and move the folder on your startup disk (/).
10. Go to the Hack ML folder, and open Install.command
11. After running, you should be see the message : Done ! You can....
12. Boot into your ML Setup partition and Install ML on a partition who must be named : ML
(If it's doesn't boot (Waiting for DSMOS), boot into your main system and type on a terminal window :
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Library/Extensions
13. After installing, you should see Installation Failed. It's not important, It's normal !
14. When you see this error message, go to Utilities -> Terminal and type : /Hack.command
15. After hacking, close terminal and reboot into your ML disk (It named ML).
16. enjoy with ML on your iMac or MacBook !
The method in images :
The "rm : No such file or directory" error is removed with Hack ML v2.
Continue to follow steps 11, 12...
PS : To Upgarde to 10.8.2, apply the update via the Mac App Store. After installing, reboot into your Installation and reapply /Hack.command on a terminal. Then, reboot into your ML disk.
MLforAll on twitter, please follow, I publish news (In French, sorry) for the Hack's state.
Last edited by MLforAll; Mar 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
|Mar 1, 2013, 11:04 AM||#2|
I am very interested in doing this in my old MacBook2.1, but I think you need a little more detail (maybe screenshots) in the guide.
|Mar 2, 2013, 11:38 AM||#7|
Finally a guide that work for me! thx MLforAll
For the moment I only found that the dock look different (maybe issue of the GMA950?) and a minor problem with the old keyboard of my MacBook2,1 with the numeric lock LED (F6 key), if I press the Cap Lock key *both* led (cap lock and numeric lock) turning on but if I deactivate the Cap Lock the led of the numeric lock is still on.
Again, great work man.
Last edited by rezzo; Mar 2, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
|Mar 2, 2013, 12:27 PM||#8|
The dock issue is only for GMA950.
But, it's a fix for that :
Open a terminal window, from ML and type :
defaults write com.apple.dock hide-mirror -bool yes
You should see the dock background after typing that.
For the keyboard, I work on that. It's a issue with their keyboards.
|Mar 3, 2013, 04:08 AM||#11|
RSL, the MacBook 2,1 has better graphics performance than Lion !
The Launchpad isn't lacked like Mission Control, switching desktops, the Notification Center... All have better graphics in Mountain Lion !
I'm very happy to have it as my Main System !
OS : OS X 10.8.2
Graphics : GMA 950, 64 MB
RAM : 3 GB
Model : MacBook 2,1
PS : Sorry for my server problems, it's an electric problem
|Mar 3, 2013, 04:13 AM||#12|
|Mar 3, 2013, 05:16 AM||#13|
That's a good work. Bravo! Just few things:
- Where did you get the kext for GMA 950 with QE/QL support? Did you make them? Just curious
- Is the sleeping working fine? with the kexts I have now it gets stuck in a black screen
- Any chance you can put the files in Dropbox or anywhere else? That server is still not working.
|Mar 3, 2013, 05:44 AM||#14|
- The GMA 950 kext are from Lion 10.7.5 !! I create a combined OpenGL.framework for their support on Mountain Lion !!!!!
- The sleep worked, like brightness !!! The graphics card is FULLY SUPPORTED !!!!!
- You can download the file here !
MacBook 2,1 Graphics Performance on ML here.
|Mar 3, 2013, 06:16 AM||#15|
Do I only need the "AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext" from system/library/extensions or also al the other X3100 related kexts from 10.7.5? (for my Macbook3,1 with X3100)
Thank you very much! Merci Beaucoup!
|Mar 3, 2013, 06:20 AM||#16|
Hi, could you re-upload the images? For some reason they are not showing on your initial post. Also, the hack download is not working.... This is excellent news by the way!!!! Can't wait to get this runnning.
Last edited by bosscharles; Mar 3, 2013 at 06:26 AM.
|Mar 3, 2013, 06:21 AM||#17|
You need to copy these file from Lion 10.7.5 to ML :
Your graphics should work after repairing permissions :
- with Kext Utility or
- with Disk Utility or
- with terminal :
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
Last edited by MLforAll; Mar 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
|Mar 3, 2013, 06:21 AM||#18|
Sorry if I insist, I just want to make it sure that I know what I am doing. My internet connection is pretty bad, so I can't check the files yet. And thanks for using another server!!
|Mar 3, 2013, 06:32 AM||#19|
The patch do :
- replacing Extensions folder with the dp1 Extensions folder
- replacing mach_kernel with the dp1 mach_kernel
- replacing OpenGL.framework with my modified OpenGL.framework
- adding GMA 950, ATI Radeon X1600 kexts on ML.
To apply the patch :
- You need to create ML Setup disk (Installation disk)
- Patch it with the file who can be downloaded (It must be placed in the root of your startup disk).
- Boot into ML Setup.
- Type in terminal (Utilities -> Terminal) : /Hack.command
The patch work on 10.8 and 10.8.2 ML Systems !
My tests :
I tested the patch on 10.8.0 then I update my system to 10.8.2, reapplying the patch and it rebooted fine on my ML 10.8.2 fully working !
|Mar 3, 2013, 06:47 AM||#20|
After step 6, I get these messages:
cp: /Volumes/ML Setup/System/Installation/Packages: File exists
cp: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/Packages: unable to copy extended attributes to /Volumes/ML Setup/System/Installation/Packages: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ML Setup/System/Installation/Packages/AdditionalEssentials.pkg: No such file or directory
Has the copying gone wrong then?
|Mar 3, 2013, 06:53 AM||#21|
Hey, I am going to follow your guide this afternoon in upgrading the 2006 iMac I have at home.
Hoping it works great!
Un grand merci, je pensais pas que quelqu'un y arriverait!
(Thanks a lot, didn't think anyone would fix the 2006 iMacs for ML)
|Mar 3, 2013, 07:00 AM||#22|
- Your Installation disk must be named "ML Setup" (without quotes)
- If it doesn't work anymore, type : rm /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Installation/Packages
|Mar 3, 2013, 07:27 AM||#23|
It's copying now! It was the creation of the folder with your command that did the trick. And for others: it can take some time to copy.
I do get this message now after step 9:
rm: /Volumes/ML Setup/mach_kernel: No such file or directory
Done ! You can reboot on your disk to complete the Installation process !
Is that a problem...?
|Mar 3, 2013, 07:48 AM||#25|
Now rebooting, first reboot didn't work, I just applied the 2 terminal commands of step 11.... (first time I got the spinning wheel).
I have a problem, I'm stuck at "waiting for DSMOS..."
I did apply the two commands of step 11, but no luck....
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Samsung 4K TV (U28D590D) working with Macs?||macbook123||Mac Peripherals||0||Apr 30, 2014 11:06 AM|
|Dedicated graphics 15" rMBP not displaying the right graphics info||Warrenpfo||MacBook Pro||4||Oct 31, 2013 08:07 AM|
|Woo! OpenCL, Mavericks, and Macs with Intel Graphics (like my Air)!||seek3r||MacBook Air||1||Oct 26, 2013 01:39 AM|
|End of the line for discrete graphics cards on Macs?||Demigod Mac||Mac Pro||56||Jul 28, 2013 02:56 PM|
|Working/stable games for 13-inch Intel HD Graphics MBP/MBA?||msh441||MacBook Pro||3||Nov 26, 2012 01:05 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.