Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Basically I am looking to get an ipad. I have an iphone but feel the screen is too small and i browse the internet a lot so the battery always goes within a couple of hours.

I want an ipad to carry with me to work, on the bus and train, plus use at Uni. I want the ipad basically for listening to music, browsing, watching movies occasionally and maybe reading books. Basically something on the go.

I do have a Macbook Pro bear in mind.

Should I get the mini or retina?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Mini. If portability and light use is all you're after, go with the Mini hands-down. I've owned both and sold off my iPad 3 not long ago as it rarely (if ever) was being used once I got the Mini.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Depends. Can you afford the $499 for iPad with Retina display? Do you prefer a smaller display or larger one? Is the extra weight of a larger iPad an issue for you? Do you prefer Retina or no Retina? Etc...

For me, I bought an iPad mini. I have a MacBook Air and iPhone 5. I use my mini for the same uses you listed including using it for university.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Depends. Can you afford the $499 for iPad with Retina display? Do you prefer a smaller display or larger one? Is the extra weight of a larger iPad an issue for you? Do you prefer Retina or no Retina? Etc...

For me, I bought an iPad mini. I have a MacBook Air and iPhone 5. I use my mini for the same uses you listed including using it for university.

How do you find the mini? Do you use it alot? I am even debating wether i should get it tbh

I heard the screen isnt too good?

----------

Mini. If portability and light use is all you're after, go with the Mini hands-down. I've owned both and sold off my iPad 3 not long ago as it rarely (if ever) was being used once I got the Mini.

Yeah i think the portability is an factor for me!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Which one is preferred is so subjective, especially what you think of its screen vs its smaller size, that its best if you buy it, try it, return it if you don't like it.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
How do you find the mini? Do you use it alot? I am even debating wether i should get it tbh

I heard the screen isnt too good?

----------

Yeah i think the portability is an factor for me!

The screen is not Retina. But that doesn't mean it's not good. I bought iPad 4 for my parents. I helped them set it up and I've used it while at home. What I can say is that the mini's screen is really good. It's just not Retina. I advise you to go to a store and see for yourself. Ideally, put a Retina iPad and iPad mini side by side at the store and see for yourself.

I use my mini A TON! I used to carry my MacBook Air with me at all times in my backpack. Now I just carry my iPad mini. Battery life lasts weeks for my uses. I don't use it constantly for 10+ hours a day either. It's just my device for when I'm out and I need to do some light productivity tasks. Email, web browsing, a few games to kill time, videos, reading news, reading ebooks, etc.

pr0230

Suspended
Feb 7, 2013
Ipad retina

Basically I am looking to get an ipad. I have an iphone but feel the screen is too small and i browse the internet a lot so the battery always goes within a couple of hours.

I want an ipad to carry with me to work, on the bus and train, plus use at Uni. I want the ipad basically for listening to music, browsing, watching movies occasionally and maybe reading books. Basically something on the go.

I do have a Macbook Pro bear in mind.

Should I get the mini or retina?

For surfing, and watching shows, definitely the IPAD... The retina display is stunning!

MacAPOL

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
I dont know.
Mini all day. I sold my ipad2 and i will never buy a large ipad again. Retina is no such a deal, its better but mini's screen is good enoguh. I think mini's screen size is perfect and now i feel the normal ipad too big to use and grab. I'm 21 , using it at home and university all the time.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Wait for the ipad mini w/ retina.

When's it coming out?

----------

Mini all day. I sold my ipad2 and i will never buy a large ipad again. Retina is no such a deal, its better but mini's screen is good enoguh. I think mini's screen size is perfect and now i feel the normal ipad too big to use and grab. I'm 21 , using it at home and university all the time.

I agree

Normal Ipad is too big.

When is the retina ipad mini coming out?

New2MacOS

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008
I sold my iPad3 when I bought the Mini, and have not looked back. I found the Mini to give me flexibility in carrying it around -- in a bag, in my suit pocket, or in a Scottevest (which I use when I travel overseas). I do travel with a MB Air 11. I am very content with the screen on the mini, but I'm sure I will take a good look at a mini with retina when it comes out.

CrzyIcE

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
For me personally, I went with the ipad mini.

I went from iphone 3GS to iphone 4S and never owned an ipad before.
So when I got the ipad mini, I didn't really mind that it was not retina.
At first I thought it would be really bad like some people have complain about.
But I think if you never own an ipad retina before, the screen will seem good to you.

Of course I would prefer a ipad mini retina, but in terms of ipad retina vs ipad mini without retina, I would choose the mini because of its size and lightweight.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I tried the ipad mini but could not get used to the screen after having an ipad 3 retina for almost a year. Even though the ipad mini is lighter. I also didn't like the poor design of the mini's smart cover.

Money wasn't an issue. Maybe I'll get the iPad mini 2 if it has retina.

Bag302

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
I have both. The ipad mini's form factor and portability is fantastic. However, the lack of retina is certainly noticeable and I don't enjoy reading on it. When I'm home, I don't use the mini.

My wife has an ipad2 and I offered to buy her a mini, put she prefers the larger screen on the ipad2. She uses hers for video most of the time.

That being said, only my mini is cellular and it's the only one I take out of the house. I like that it fits in my suit pocket.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
4 hands down as long as money isnt the issue and you dont have strength issues. get the mini if you want to save some money along with making some sacrifices but want small and light.
or
wait for the mini with retina and hopefully have the best of both worlds. i will probably sell my 4 when the retina mini comes out but in my honest opinion after owning both, i wouldnt even consider the current model mini...

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
4 hands down as long as money isnt the issue and you dont have strength issues. get the mini if you want to save some money along with making some sacrifices but want small and light.
or
wait for the mini with retina and hopefully have the best of both worlds. i will probably sell my 4 when the retina mini comes out but in my honest opinion after owning both, i wouldnt even consider the current model mini...

yeah thats how i feel

i dont want the mini right now since i want a very good screen for ebooks and movies and the mini doesn't have that

that said the ipad is too big imo and i would want something smaller to carry around uni, on the bus, on the train etc...

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'd just get the Mini and not worry about the bigger ipad.

Here's the thing though. If you use an ipad 4, you'll be struck at how fuzzy the mini's screen might be in comparison. If you use a Mini for any length of time, the bigger ipad will seem like a brick.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
In fact, this is an important feature

I have both. The ipad mini's form factor and portability is fantastic. However, the lack of retina is certainly noticeable and I don't enjoy reading on it. When I'm home, I don't use the mini.

My wife has an ipad2 and I offered to buy her a mini, put she prefers the larger screen on the ipad2. She uses hers for video most of the time.

That being said, only my mini is cellular and it's the only one I take out of the house. I like that it fits in my suit pocket.

The last statement in this post is one that is very important to many of us. The freedom of just grabbing the device iPad Mini when going out of the house, without further ado, cannot be overestimated. Even if this is a solid concrete action that one is referring to, the implications of this fact are strong and telling. It says in a condensed way what kind of freedom the portability of the iPad Mini gives you, in contrast to the regular iPad, I am afraid I must say as a fact.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Retina is way over rated. I have iPad mini, iPad 4 and iPhone 5 and can barely tell a difference. Retina is nice but also a lot of hype. I love the iPad mini and use it more than anything I have. Hardly even use my MacBook Pro anymore except for music. I don't even care if they come out with a mini retina, I will use the one I have until it dies or I can no longer upgrade it. I don't get any blurry images or font when reading. I think anyone who does needs glasses.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think it depends on which display you get in your iPad mini.

Some are better than others.

But you can still definitely see a difference between retina and non-retina. Even color saturation stands out.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Why? it will be another 8 months. Get what you want now. Not that big of a difference trust me I have both and never use my iPad 4 anymore.

This.

If you need it now (like I did) then get it now.

There is no point waiting (possibly) 8 months for the announcement and waiting a few weeks after that for availability. Get it now, sell it later (Apple products hold their value) for the next version if you want.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I prefer the mini, because of the form factor. If you want form factor over screen quality then the mini is the tablet for you. If you want the retina display then get the iPad 4.

I've found the mini to be a great tablet and very portable, I use it more then my full size iPad (which my kids now use, because my mini is the only one I use :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.