Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Hi. Having weird issues the past couple days with my ATV3.
When I watch NHL highlights in the morning, the video randomly suddenly changes frame rate. It looks very smooth, like a doubling of frames or something. It's not fast forwarding, and the audio stays normal. it stays like that for a few minutes, then goes back to normal.

Issue #2 is I was watching the 3rd period of last nights Leafs-NYI game, and the ATV stopped responding to its remote control, even the iPhone 'Remote' app couldn't do anything.

A couple mins later, the screensaver kicks in...but the audio from hockey is still going!

So strange. Anyway, I had to unplug it to get it to stop, and I plugged it in again and it booted up normally, but i had to go to work. Will try it tomorrow.

Anyone seen these issues? Thanks.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
:apple:TV can't play 60fps well. It will try but it will yield judder for scenes where lots of pixels change frame to frame (like sports). :apple:TV only plays 30fps (everything else including 24fps and >30fps will be converted to 30fps) and may play well (though I've never got 60fps to work very well at all).

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
You are correct...I probably should have said "it looks like 60fps" in relation to how smooth it is...the reality is NHL barely streams 20fps on a good day, from my experience.

Question is...why would the ATV do this?

Update: Ok, tried it out, seems fine now. Just needed a reboot I guess.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.