Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
I know, I know, sorry but I couldn't find an exact answer. I know the differences in specs, (unless on wednesday they announce G5 12" PBs :p ) but I'd like a more practical comparison, the two I have in mind are very similar:

Stock 12" iBook (512MB RAM, Combo, 32MB GPU) + 100GB HD + 1GB RAM (crucial): £888

Stock 12" Powerbook (256MB RAM, Combo, 64MB GPU) + 100GB HD + 1GB RAM (crucial): £1200

1) Ignoring games, what things would run significantly better on the PB vs. the iBook.

2) Does the PB really get *THAT* hot.

3) Any 12" iBook updates before XMAS? :p

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
To tell you the truth, you really won't see that much of a difference, period. Maybe a little in photoshop? But not noticeable. I would go for the 12" iBook. The PowerBooks are known for dents and warps. The iBooks are known for being able to be scratched easily, I would rather have a scratched up iBook than a dented and warped PowerBook.

Unless the PowerBook updates are extremely good, I would still get a 12" iBook.

Hope that helps! :)

maddav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
lilstewart92 said:
To tell you the truth, you really won't see that much of a difference, period. Maybe a little in photoshop? But not noticeable. I would go for the 12" iBook. The PowerBooks are known for dents and warps. The iBooks are known for being able to be scratched easily, I would rather have a scratched up iBook than a dented and warped PowerBook.

Unless the PowerBook updates are extremely good, I would still get a 12" iBook.

Hope that helps! :)

It helps a lot thanks, I don't use Photoshop, in fact I only really use The GIMP for cropping and resizing photos for ebay :p !!

Well I kind of need a 12" laptop, I've currently got a 14" iBook, and it's very good, but I'm in dire need of a newer smaller portable. I can't see the 12" PB getting much on Wednesday, the saving on the iBook looks good too :D

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I might be missing it... but I couldn't see in your OP the CPU speeds of either machine. At any rate, here's my opinion on the two 12" Apple lappy's I own:

12" 1.33GHz PB w/ 512MB RAM
12" 1.33GHz iB w/ 512MB RAM

Yup. Very similar in specs, only main differences were in the graphics card, front BUS speed, and VRAM (64MB vs 32MB). However, in using the two...

PB: much sleeker, smaller, lighter form factor-- looks cooler, too, like the keyboard feel a lot more
iB: side-by-side comparison it is noticeably bigger, keyboard feels a little cheaper

But if given the choice all over again-- if they had similar specs, I'd pick the iBook over the PowerBook. Why? My PB would get about 4 hours of battery life vs my iBook's 6+ hours! My PB would get unbearably hot to the touch, my iBook runs way cooler to the touch. My PB almost never had full AE reception, my iBook in the same spots can get 3 bars and sometimes full wi-fi reception!!!

Plus, when I'm carrying the laptop in my backpack, the slight weight difference is not noticeable to me... and the iBook matches my nano and iMac G5. :p

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
I am happy that I went with an iBook instead of a powerbook (although it was a choice between 14" ibook vs a 12" powerbook). For what most people do, an ibook suffices just fine, and is very snappy and fast. The only reason you see so many people on college campuses with powerbooks is because they think they look cooler and because their spoiled parents buy everything for them. =p I'm really really happy with my 14" ibook and I'm glad I didn't get a powerbook (extra $ wouldn't be worth it).

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
MUCKYFINGERS said:
The only reason you see so many people on college campuses with powerbooks is because they think they look cooler and because their spoiled parents buy everything for them. =p I'm really really happy with my 14" ibook and I'm glad I didn't get a powerbook (extra $ wouldn't be worth it).
First of all, in belittling 'those' people, you make it seem like you are quite jealous and it looks petty. Second of all, I resent your choice of words because I know I paid for every cent of my PowerBook.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
devilot76 said:
First of all, in belittling 'those' people, you make it seem like you are quite jealous and it looks petty. Second of all, I resent your choice of words because I know I paid for every cent of my PowerBook.

I didn't mean to make you feel so bad.

We both know that most college students who just type their reports and go surfing on the web that buy the Powerbook don't ever use it to its fullest potential and don't justify its price tag relative to the iBook.

I actually had enough to buy the 12" Powerbook and I could have saved longer to get a 15" Powerbook, but I went with the iBook because it is a better value and a great notebook. And you have to admit that paying nearly $2,000 for a 15" Powerbook, when considering the technology that is inside, is quite expensive.

And that is great you paid for every cent of your Powerbook.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
When I bought my 12" PB, it was worth every penny I spent over the 12" iBook.

Today, you'd be a fool to pay THAT much of a price difference for a 12" PB. Still love my 12" PB, but no luv for that machine today.

Sorry, tis true. ;)

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Abstract said:
When I bought my 12" PB, it was worth every penny I spent over the 12" iBook.

Today, you'd be a fool to pay THAT much of a price difference for a 12" PB. Still love my 12" PB, but no luv for that machine today.

Sorry, tis true. ;)

exactly atleast wait and see what happens on the 18th powerbooks are simply to expensive these days.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Yeah the difference in CPU speeds is: 1.33GHz iBook, 1.5 GHz Powerbook.

I'll definitely wait for the Oct 19th updates to see what they offer for the 12" PB, but it looks as though, at the moment I'll be going for the iBook. Thanks for all the advice from everyone, since at the moment I'm using a 1GHz iBook w/ 512MB RAM, and it suits *MOST* of my needs, so a slightly better iBook should be all I need

Wait and See...

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
With a hard to justify price differential between the iBook and PB lines, the smart money would clearly be on the iBook unless certain processor intensive tasks made it a wiser choice to select a PowerBook.

Even with the latest indicators pointing to some type of PB upgrade on 10-18/19, the only thing that should be deemed a "lock" is that the majority of predictions as to both date and specs will be proven inaccurate - yet again. If it happens, that is great news for all who have been holding a candlelight vigil ... if not, make the best decision knowing the facts as they exist today. I am in the same position as you.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
maddav said:
1) Ignoring games, what things would run significantly better on the PB vs. the iBook.

As always, the one of the main practical differences between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook is how they work with external screens. The PowerBook supports screen mirroring and screen spanning, supports external resolutions well above 1024x768, offers the choice of DVI or VGA connection, and supports 'lid-closed' mode, where you can plug in an external keyboard, mouse and screen, close the PowerBook and treat it like a desktop.

The iBook doesn't allow screen spanning (unless enabled with an unsupported firmware hack), doesn't allow external resolutions of above 1024x768, only supports a VGA connector, and (as far as I know) doesn't support true 'lid-closed' operation.

Of course if you don't see yourself needing any of these features it doesn't matter. The iBook probably wins at this point in time (excluding PowerBook updates next week).

IndigoQuack

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2005
Scotland
Having had both (a 12" iBook, until it was stolen :mad: and my current 12" Powerbook), I'd say that the latter is worth the extra money. That said, I bought it on credit and not outright, so that may change the equation somewhat!

I find the Powerbook's keyboard to be of higher quality, the sound is surprisingly good for a laptop (better than the iBook certainly!) and it actually runs cooler than the iBook in my experience! I also like the fact that I can have a Superdrive in a 12" laptop (not an option in the 12" iBook)

Whether any of the above is enough to swing it for you is another matter, but I don't think the 12" PB is the bad deal that some think it is

maddav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Connecting to an external monitor works fine on my current iBook via VGA, I used the hack and DisplayConfigX to get a native display of 1360*768. The only annoyance is that it means I've only got 16MB of VRAM to work with, because it splits the 32MB evenly.

One question that is a major factor though, is: When using the 12" PBook in closed lid mode, does the external monitor get the full 64MB of VRAM, or is it still split 50:50?

On a similar note, if the 12" Powerbooks on Wednesday allow for a 128MB Graphics Card, I'll definitely get that :)

edit: Another Big question, Would the slightly faster HD (5400 rpm vs. 4200 rpm) and 170 MHz greater CPU speed make video/audio conversion "much" quicker on the PB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.