Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blutus

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Very cool

I tried it,
this app makes everything important for SSD users... :)

Normally you have to do this in many different steps, this app combines all!

Very cool!

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Replaced TrimEnabler for me. The only app you need to set up your non-Apple SSD.

eyepea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Apart from enabling TRIM (which I can do through TRIM Enabler, I am not sure what the following do (or should be set to)?

Sudden Motion Sensor
Disable Local TM
NOA Time
Set sleep mode

What are the best settings for these options, and more importantly what do the settings do.

Sorry for the basic questions but I cannot find too much on this app.

I have a MBA with an Apple SSD (SM Model) and a MMi7QuadCore with an OCZ Agility 3 in it so I want to make sure the SSD's are working to their full potential.

IP

Smoothbassman

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
This program works great. Samsung 840 Pro SSD now has trim function on without using the terminal function.

I still backed-up the original settings using terminal prior to using SSD Optimizer though, just in case something went wrong.

Thanks for the links!

cjbussey

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Backing up settings

This program works great. Samsung 840 Pro SSD now has trim function on without using the terminal function.

I still backed-up the original settings using terminal prior to using SSD Optimizer though, just in case something went wrong.

Thanks for the links!

I have a pair of 840 Pro's in RAID 0 as my boot drive. How did you back up the settings from terminal and how can I ensure TRIM is enabled on my drives. I don't really want to break the stripe to change the settings.

Thanks in advance.

eyepea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I have a pair of 840 Pro's in RAID 0 as my boot drive. How did you back up the settings from terminal and how can I ensure TRIM is enabled on my drives. I don't really want to break the stripe to change the settings.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you mean by back up settings from terminal but in relation to TRIM... Download either the Chameleon app or Trim Enabler (search on google) then (using one or the other (not both apps)) click the 'enable trim switch' in the App. You will have to reboot.

To check if TRIM is enabled go to 'System Information' in the 'Utilities' folder in the Applications folder. Click on 'Serial-ATA' in the left window of System Information and in the right window click on your drives. Next to 'Trim Support' it should say 'yes'. You might actually want to do all this 'checking' part first to actually confirm Trim is NOT enable otherwise if it is then you don't need any of this.

I think what Smooth is referring to in his post when he talks about not having to use Command is in relation to not having to do all the Commands to enable TRIM now because he used the App which does it in one flick of the switch.

Sorry if all my info is off the point. I am hoping this is what you were referring to.

IP

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Apart from enabling TRIM (which I can do through TRIM Enabler, I am not sure what the following do (or should be set to)?

Sudden Motion Sensor
Disable Local TM
NOA Time
Set sleep mode
What are the best settings for these options, and more importantly what do the settings do.
Sorry for the basic questions but I cannot find too much on this app.
I have a MBA with an Apple SSD (SM Model) and a MMi7QuadCore with an OCZ Agility 3 in it so I want to make sure the SSD's are working to their full potential.
IP
Most, if not all, of your questions are answered in this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505922/
:cool:

mxrver

macrumors newbie
Most, if not all, of your questions are answered in this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505922/
:cool:

I should apologize also because my tech skills respecting my late 2012 MBP 17" are limited. Had my Apple 256 gig SSD professionally replaced with a Samsung 500gig SSD 840 EVO yesterday. Discovered Chameleon App shortly thereafter and after reading virtually all of threads related to SSD's and this app, I understand all of it's features except the following:

Is this a "use it once" and turn it off because once it's settings have been implemented, it's OK to quit? If not, when/how often should I use it in the open mode?

I believe I understand the NOATime switch. Appears to me that the best advice here is turn it off to save space and improve speed, not that speed/space really matters any more with an SSD.. Right?

Tell me about the Set Sleep Mode. Since my drive has no moving parts and I do not operate on battery, I typically set my MBP to never sleep. Given this preference, does the Sleep Set Mode have an relevance to me?

Thanks for your help on this. I appreciate the detailed information on this subject on this thread and others, but for me it all boils down to three simple questions.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I should apologize also because my tech skills respecting my late 2012 MBP 17" are limited. Had my Apple 256 gig SSD professionally replaced with a Samsung 500gig SSD 840 EVO yesterday. Discovered Chameleon App shortly thereafter and after reading virtually all of threads related to SSD's and this app, I understand all of it's features except the following:

Is this a "use it once" and turn it off because once it's settings have been implemented, it's OK to quit? Yes If not, when/how often should I use it in the open mode?

I believe I understand the NOATime switch. Appears to me that the best advice here is turn it off to save space and improve speed, not that speed/space really matters any more with an SSD.. Right?
NO. Turn ON noatime to save space and improve speed. See the various links here https://www.google.com/search?q=no+a+time&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t#q=noatime

Tell me about the Set Sleep Mode. Since my drive has no moving parts and I do not operate on battery, I typically set my MBP to never sleep. Given this preference, does the Sleep Set Mode have an relevance to me?
Not sure.
I use the terminal commands available to adjust the "Sleep Set Mode" which is actually the hybernation mode: I.e., the sleep tools section of Chameleon is not really clear enough, although an explanation is clearly impossible in the limited interface space available, See the attached info at the end of this post. I use hybernation mode 0, but the default mode 3, and the options available in the System Preferences should work fine for most people/usage situations.

Thanks for your help on this. I appreciate the detailed information on this subject on this thread and others, but for me it all boils down to three simple questions.
Dsisclaimer: I got these commands from various posts here on the forum, and cannot give credit where it is due, but thanks to all those who contributed. Don't you just love this forum?:cool:

pmset -g
This terminal command will list all the current power settings/device settings.

Sleep settings
Files
All changes made through pmset are saved in a persistent preferences file (per-system, not per-user) at
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
System Preferences Energy Saver modifies the same file

Scheduled power on/off events are stored separately in
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

Terminal commands: Copy and paste all the commands, starting with "sudo"
Enter your password when prompted, the password you type is not shown, just hit enter.
Display the current settings;

hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The system will not back memory up to persistent storage. The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.
hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.
hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you should use this setting.

Open a Terminal shell (in the /Applications/Utilities folder)

1. set hibernate mode to 0
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
hibernationmode 0 is normal sleep, data kept in ram, nothing written to disk
2. delete the unnecessary sleep file (since hibernate is disabled) to regain disk space equal to memory (saves the same amount of disk space as your RAM, eg. 8 GBs, valuable on an SSD),
You can use the Go to folder menu to delete the file, found in the /var/vm/ folder, and named sleepimage. Reboot and simply delete that file,. Or use this:
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage or sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
The sleep image file is actually in /Private/var/vm/ but /var/vm/ is a symbolic link to that location.
Optional: Create a blanked zero-byte file so the OS cannot rewrite the file:
sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
Make file immutable:
sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

If pmset -g shows: autopoweroff**1,
disable this automatic hibernation mode (happens even if hibernation mode is set to 0 on the new Mac mini 2012 and iMac)
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
4. set the safe sleep timer (standbydelay) to 20 hours, default is 4200 (1.67 hr)
sudo pmset -a standbydelay 72000
5. sudo pmset -a standby 0
While researching this, I noticed that bit 3 of hibernatemode encourages the dynamic pager to page out inactive pages prior to hibernation. So this appears to be why I have swap used after sleeping (even though my hibernatemode is 0, so bit 3 is off). I disabled this new, possibly buggy behaviour by switching off standby: sudo pmset -a standby 0
View the sleep image size:
ls -lh /private/var/vm/sleepimage

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Is this a "use it once" and turn it off because once it's settings have been implemented, it's OK to quit? If not, when/how often should I use it in the open mode?

Yes, use it once and quit the app. If you ever need to make changes, run it again.

The NOATIME flag should be set, as in ON. Directions to do so are on the Chameleon FAQ page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.