Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zinger123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
HI
Is there a video converter that writes to the same folder as the source?
I have a 100 directory and in each of these movies. I would like to use the spotlight to find all plków video and drag it to the video converter, which upon conversion would save the files in this directory. The ideal would be a converter that does not alter the file creation date or had the same. How to do that?
regards

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
HI
Is there a video converter that writes to the same folder as the source?
I have a 100 directory and in each of these movies. I would like to use the spotlight to find all plków video and drag it to the video converter, which upon conversion would save the files in this directory. The ideal would be a converter that does not alter the file creation date or had the same. How to do that?
regards

To which video format do you want to convert to? H.264? If yes, I can quickly write a command-line script file iterating over an entire directory structure, converting every video file matching a user-suppliable filename mask it encounters and invoking x264.

Of course, it's command-line only so you can forget about just dragging your files onto a nice GUI.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Off the top of my head I know that Compressor can be setup to save the new file in the same folder as the old file by default but I'm not sure how you can change the creation date on the new file to match the creation date of the old file.

zinger123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011

I want convert .mov to .mp4 and i want to using automator service but I have Mountain Lion

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I want convert .mov to .mp4 and i want to using automator service but I have Mountain Lion

Do you only want to change the container (mov, mp4) or do you also want to re-encode everything?

If it's only a container change, you can use this little tool I programmed. You can't drag and drop (maybe I'll add that when I find the time), but you can open multiple files and have them saved in the same folder.

The keeping the date thing is more complicated. Since the creation date of the new video clearly is the current date and not the one of the original video, you will have to trick your UNIX system to change that. I don't think there are tools out there that can do that, since it is very uncommon.

But, like Menneisyys2 said, all this can be easily scripted for the command line. I don't think you'll find a tool that does something this specific. I don't know of one. (and I know so many that I found it necessary to write the container switcher software from above because I knew there was nothing like that)

Good luck anyways!

zinger123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011

I want encoding evrything becouse move have 80% large files.

zinger123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011

ok, i made a script with automator and handbrakecli for good video but i need preserve date. Not change a name of file with date but preserve date creation.
Any help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.