Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 2, 2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Question Is the iPad Mini in White still a "professional" color in the business world?

I have the black iphone 5, i was originally gonna go for black to match but , to me the white iphone 5 doesnt appeal, but the white ipad mini looks really sharp to me.

im in school for business and such and i was wondering if the white ipad mini would look right in that enviroment

generally when u think business, i think black for some reason.
Chuck-Norris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
jdag
macrumors regular

Talent trumps iPad color.
jdag is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:19 AM   #3
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Depends on what you're referring to by "business". Are you talking about Executive? Management? Assistant? Accounting? The list goes on. Business is a very very broad term. When people always tell me they're going into business, I have to ask them to elaborate.

If you're using it to take notes or give a presentation and people are paying attention to the iPad and not you, you have bigger problems. The focus should be you. Not the tool you're using.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Talent trumps iPad color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Depends on what you're referring to by "business". Are you talking about Executive? Management? Assistant? Accounting? The list goes on. Business is a very very broad term. When people always tell me they're going into business, I have to ask them to elaborate.

If you're using it to take notes or give a presentation and people are paying attention to the iPad and not you, you have bigger problems. The focus should be you. Not the tool you're using.
true, im still in school for business and not sure where to take it to yet after im done but thinking accounting or marketing in those areas.

i was wondering if the white ipad mini color is still professionalish.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:28 AM   #5
jdag
macrumors regular

Get the one you prefer and move on. This couldn't possibly be less impact full to your future career prospects.
jdag is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God

Personally I think the black/slate is a little less noticeable. The look of it will also depend on the case that you choose.

For example, my fiancée's Mini has a red Smart Cover. It stands out a little.
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:04 AM   #7
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

No. The white is the metrosexual hipster pad.
bobbysmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:11 AM   #8
E3BK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
true, im still in school for business and not sure where to take it to yet after im done but thinking accounting or marketing in those areas.

As a professional with an iPad who works with other iPad users, no one cares what color it is. I have a black one because I feel like there is less glare along the bezel and a little easier to look at, but that's a personal preference. My boss has the white one.

I still don't understand why people are concerned with the color. Just get what you want. It's not like it's fluorescent green or bright pink.

Last edited by E3BK; Mar 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
E3BK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:23 AM   #9
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't think anyone is gonna give you trouble about your iPad color, sir...or is that just your screen name?

Regards,
Tom
I'd probably stop using words like "professionalish", though.
TJ61 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:27 AM   #10
jdag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3BK View Post
As a professional with an iPad who works with other iPad users, no one cares what color it is. I have a black one because I feel like there is less glare along the bezel and a little easier to look at, but that's a personal preference. My boss has the white one.

I still don't understand why people are concerned with the color. Just get what you want. It's not like it's fluorescent green or bright pink.
Exactly...it is a COLOR! Pick which one you like. An important factor in succeeding in business, whether it be in sales, marketing, management, etc...is making confident and timely decisions. Make a decision and move on!
jdag is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:39 AM   #11
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have the black iphone 5, i was originally gonna go for black to match but , to me the white iphone 5 doesnt appeal, but the white ipad mini looks really sharp to me.

im in school for business and such and i was wondering if the white ipad mini would look right in that enviroment

Seems like you are way over thinking. Just get the one you like. I prefer white for all my apple products just feels more "classic" apple like to me.
TheMTtakeover is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

If you work at a salon or a spa, then yes, go for the white.

If you work at a business office or a movie theater, then black for sure.

And you're welcome.
Luis2004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:21 PM   #13
E3BK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Exactly...it is a COLOR! Pick which one you like. An important factor in succeeding in business, whether it be in sales, marketing, management, etc...is making confident and timely decisions. Make a decision and move on!
This, more than anything, says something to me about a person's business savvy and ability to lead in the professional world. Being confident in your own decisions is key if you want to get ahead.

If you think the color of your iPad is what's going to make or break what people think of you in the business world, you have bigger problems than the color of your iPad.
E3BK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Fireball Dragon
macrumors regular

I personally feel that black/slate can indistinguishable as an iPad from a distance, especially with a 3rd party folio cover.

The white is quite noticeable as an iPad, as a lot of adverts for the iPad are in white.

Well, this is just what I have noticed and feel. But to answer your question, I don't think either colour would be considered a more "professional", to be perfectly honest.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #15
SR45
Banned

Quote:

Park yourself outside of the Trump Towers or Wall Street in New York and look/see what the guys are carrying for an answer, not asking some geeks on a forum which some silly posters ask once in a while "Is a White iPhone for girls" This question has been asked so many times now just by looking at the "Search" function and you will get the jest of how some immature silly people view the white color iPhone/iPads.

Get what you like, not what others think of it.
SR45 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Park yourself outside of the Trump Towers or Wall Street in New York and look/see what the guys are carrying for an answer, not asking some geeks on a forum which some silly posters ask once in a while "Is a White iPhone for girls" This question has been asked so many times now just by looking at the "Search" function and you will get the jest of how some immature silly people view the white color iPhone/iPads.

Get what you like, not what others think of it.
technically i wasnt asking which color was better, but whether the white color would be considered a professional business orientated look.

but by others posted, looks like it doesnt matter.

thanks for your input though
Old Mar 2, 2013, 07:49 PM   #17
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

White, black and silver are contemporary colors, they blend well in any environment.

Though quite frankly anyone that bases someone's maturity based on colors of their devices are pretty much d-bags anyway.

Either color is fine. I like white better than black but the downside is that white tends to yellow over time.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:28 PM   #18
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
technically i wasnt asking which color was better, but whether the white color would be considered a professional business orientated look.

I think the black looks less noticeable. If less noticeable = more professional in you're prospective, then go black!
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPod View Post
I think the black looks less noticeable. If less noticeable = more professional in you're prospective, then go black!
like you mean its not as eye catching to people as black pretty much?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:10 PM   #20
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
like you mean its not as eye catching to people as black pretty much?
Exactly. But as others have said, it also depends on what case/cover you have on it as well. A product red Smart Cover definitely sticks out more than a dark gray Smart Cover, etc.

Just my input!
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 04:08 AM   #21
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Grammar, punctuation and spelling will improve your business skills. The colour of an iPad will not matter if you can't master these skills. This white/black argument is really getting boring. Personally I cannot see how it makes any kind of difference whatsoever. How old are you people and what kind of world do you live in? Do you want a guide (as this is set in stone and MUST NOT be ignored)!!

Bloomberg list of essential iPad colours to make your business a success - deviate at your peril and face the administrators if the following list is not adhered to....

Business Sector - Acceptable colour of iPad

Accounting - White
Undertaker - Black
Marketer - White
Butcher - White
Nail Therapist - Black
Banker - Both (buy two with your bonus)
Research Analyst - Black
CEO - White (to increase the "God Factor")
Lawyer - White

If that list sounds stupid to you - think of how your thread sounds to everyone else.

Last edited by Defender2010; Mar 3, 2013 at 04:18 AM.
Defender2010 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 04:19 AM   #22
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
White, black and silver are contemporary colors, they blend well in any environment.

Though quite frankly anyone that bases someone's maturity based on colors of their devices are pretty much d-bags anyway.

Either color is fine. I like white better than black but the downside is that white tends to yellow over time.
How exactly does it yellow when the colour is under the glass? Educate yourself a little more....
Old Mar 3, 2013, 04:37 AM   #23
Skika
macrumors 68020

If you are worried about what others will think about your iPad's colour, you have work to do.

Emotional, personal.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 05:31 AM   #24
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Try asking at ipadforums.net, very helpful people and a LOT less snarky. YMMV.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 09:04 AM   #25
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:

I'm a partner at a medium CPA firm. No one cares about the color of your personal devices. But try to remember that's what they are...personal. It's frowned upon for you to try to use them in a way that puts client or firm info on them.

In other words, don't worry about the color so much. Worry about if you should even be showing up with one. Let the firm provide your toys.

Don't be in a rush to try to implement tech into your job at first. They have an IT person that worries about that, not first hires. Worry about your job. Try to keep work at work.
cardfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad